How to bind samples?

SJBell

New kid, bring it on!
Registered
Reaction score
The latest agent on the list asks for a 30 page sample with the query letter. I print one out, then once I have it in hand, I realize: "Uh-oh, I'm not going to be able to drive a staple through this." I manage it, and the query goes off with no further problems. But I think in the future I should go to Kinkos or Staples if I need a printout of that magnitude. My question is: When I do, how do I get it bound? Is there anything they might want to do that won't fly with an agent?

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You don't have to bind it at all. Just stick the pages in an envelope.

If you feel like you absolute need to bind it, use a binder clip or a rubberband.

Deleted member 42

No; don't bind or staple. Put your surname and email on the bottom of every page with a page number, and use a paper clip.

When you read lots of samples/print out, it's a pain to deal with staples. Loose properly numbered and identified pages are much easier to work through.

And while I doubt binding or stapling a ms. will be cause for a rejection, when you're reading a stack to find one that you don't have to wrestle with is such a huge relief.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Never bind anything in any way. It actually can cause rejections.

Reaction score
Don't. Don't. Don't.

Never ever ever ever ever bind submissions.

Ever.

Oh, and by the way: DON'T DO IT.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
as everybody else has already said...don't do anything with it! it would be rejected by a pissed off agent.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Generally, if it's short, leave it loose. If it's long (like a full manuscript) put a fat paper band around it.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I have heard a few editors say that they'll automatically reject manuscripts that are bound in an unremovable way (including staples). They're probably a minority, and might only do it when they're really tired of reading slush and don't feel like coping with a stapled MS, but why risk it? If you feel you must 'bind' it, do it with something instantly removable, such as a paper clip, binder clip, or rubberband.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Golden rule is never staple. It's like the unholy of unholies.

If you must bind then use one rubber band around the whole thing. Other wise don't bind

OctoberRain

I triple dog dare you.
Registered
Reaction score
Send the pages loose in an envelope large enough so you don't have to fold them. Good luck on the request!