I didn't know adults could get Whooping cough.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's on the rise. How do I know? I have it. My whole family has it and Southern California is seeing a rise in Pertussis. If you haven't had a booster in at least 4 years, please, go get a shot. And take your kids with you. This is a miserable illness. I've been in bed for 5 weeks. I cough so hard that I see lights in my eyes, my head pounds and I lose my bladder. Some times I have to brace myself when a coughing spell comes on because I feel like I'm going to faint. I'm totally drained and haven't worked in over a month. When I have to go to the store and I cough, it's embarrassing. People move aside. And I've lost my voice due to the cough. My kids cough until they vomit and it breaks my heart to know that I gave this to them. I can't even imagine if I gave this to a non-vaccinated baby. The kids are doing better than my husband and I are doing because they had some antibodies to help them fight this from the vaccine they received as babies.

Research Whooping cough and see if there are cases in your area. And please go get a booster. You don't want this or want to give this to a baby.

Take care, I miss you all.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Hope you're feeling better soon. I don't know how it's possible, but my son gets it every time he's sick. He's 14, and we still have to take him to the hospital and get him hooked up for oxygen and steriods whenever he gets a cold. And whooping cough seems worse at night...say 2am-ish.

GET BETTER!!!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
On my, Terri. I had it last year. I'm so sorry.

Everyone go get a booster! You don't want this!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hope you're feeling better soon. I don't know how it's possible, but my son gets it every time he's sick. He's 14, and we still have to take him to the hospital and get him hooked up for oxygen and steriods whenever he gets a cold. And whooping cough seems worse at night...say 2am-ish.

GET BETTER!!!

Yes, the night coughing is terrible. But could it be possible you son is getting Croup? I feel bad for him. I also had to do the steroids. I hate those things!

Thanks for the well wish!

*keeses* with a mask in of course.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gosh. In adults? I wonder if it is from all the non-vacc. that are coming into the country? Sigh. With my medical situation it would kill me. You just never think of something like this in this day and age.

For those of you that have it....my heart goes out to you. Wow. (Runs and checks out the net.)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yes, the night coughing is terrible. But could it be possible you son is getting Croup? I feel bad for him. I also had to do the steroids. I hate those things!

Thanks for the well wish!

*keeses* with a mask in of course.

croup, yes. you're right. He's had whooping cough a couple of times...but more frequently croup. I get the two mixed up...because we deal with both. Yes...whooping cough is worse than croup. and takes longer to clear up, obviously.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
This is a miserable illness. I've been in bed for 5 weeks. I cough so hard that I see lights in my eyes, my head pounds and I lose my bladder. Some times I have to brace myself when a coughing spell comes on because I feel like I'm going to faint. I'm totally drained and haven't worked in over a month.

Except for the lasting 5 weeks thing, this sounds like every cough I've ever gotten.

Hope you get better.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Yuck!

I received a booster when I had my second child. They recommended all moms get them at the hospital after delivery. Though I should recommend all the caregivers get them as well.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear you're sick, Terri. Get well soon!

I've never had whooping cough but I've had pneumonia twice, which is no picnic. You feel like you have water in your lungs and can't breathe (wheezing cough).

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
This is a miserable illness. I've been in bed for 5 weeks. I cough so hard that I see lights in my eyes, my head pounds and I lose my bladder. Some times I have to brace myself when a coughing spell comes on because I feel like I'm going to faint. I'm totally drained and haven't worked in over a month.
5 weeks! Honey! Haven't you gotten any medicine? They gave me a Vicodin syrup for the cough. I still was a wreck for an additional six or seven days (I guess I'd been sick for about ten days at that point) but still, that only puts me at only a little over two weeks of that. I can't imagine doing it for five weeks.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
O my goodness, I hope it's almost done ruining your summer! Yuck! I'll seriously think about that booster.

ETA: Just found out last week that adults can also get roseola, and, although it's certainly not as bad as whooping cough, I'd recommend avoiding it.

Last edited:

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh ... wow.

I'm so sorry you have to be sick like this, and I'm so sorry that when I first started reading I made the assumption that you/your family were unvaccinated to begin with. That's absolutely terrible that it's becoming so common now that you need to get a booster vaccine, but I'm at least very glad that your kids had shots to begin with (like you said, I can't imagine what would happen with this given to an unvaccinated baby).

Please get well soon, and I'm so sorry your sick :(

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Except for the lasting 5 weeks thing, this sounds like every cough I've ever gotten.

Hope you get better.

That's terrible!

Thanks!

Yuck!

I received a booster when I had my second child. They recommended all moms get them at the hospital after delivery. Though I should recommend all the caregivers get them as well.

I do too.

FEEL BETTER, TERRI! :(

Thanks, dork!

I'm sorry to hear you're sick, Terri. Get well soon!

I've never had whooping cough but I've had pneumonia twice, which is no picnic. You feel like you have water in your lungs and can't breathe (wheezing cough).

Tis true.

Thanks!

5 weeks! Honey! Haven't you gotten any medicine? They gave me a Vicodin syrup for the cough. I still was a wreck for an additional six or seven days (I guess I'd been sick for about ten days at that point) but still, that only puts me at only a little over two weeks of that. I can't imagine doing it for five weeks.

I have that same syrup. Harrr! Puts me out all night though. Yes, I'm going on 6 weeks with this. That's nothing. I've been reading that some get it for months on end. And I have asthma to boot, which doesn't help at all. I always hold on to an illness for twice the time a "normal" person does.

I'm so sorry to hear this! I hope you feel better soon! 5 weeks is a miserably long time to be sick.

Don't I know it!

Thanks!

O my goodness, I hope it's almost done ruining your summer! Yuck! I'll seriously think about that booster.

ETA: Just found out last week that adults can also get roseola, and, although it's certainly not as bad as whooping cough, I'd recommend avoiding it.

Please get a booster. This is so flippin miserable.

Oh ... wow.

I'm so sorry you have to be sick like this, and I'm so sorry that when I first started reading I made the assumption that you/your family were unvaccinated to begin with. That's absolutely terrible that it's becoming so common now that you need to get a booster vaccine, but I'm at least very glad that your kids had shots to begin with (like you said, I can't imagine what would happen with this given to an unvaccinated baby).

Please get well soon, and I'm so sorry your sick :(

Thank you!

*cough*

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Whooping cough is a miserable illness. My sincerest sympathies. It hit our family back in the 1960's. I was like 10 or 12. Had it for what seemed like forever. I can still remember how sore my sides were from coughing. Hope you get well soon.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whooping cough is a miserable illness. My sincerest sympathies. It hit our family back in the 1960's. I was like 10 or 12. Had it for what seemed like forever. I can still remember how sore my sides were from coughing. Hope you get well soon.

It does go on forever! I'm so tired of this. I'm so wiped out all the time.

Thank you!

nutbird

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score
Feel better soon! And thanks for the heads up about So Cal!

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
Hope you feel better Writerterri!

I myself am allergic to the pertussis vaccine/booster.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:e2flowersHope you all start feeling better quickly.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
7 1/2 weeks and still no end in sight with this. I did have a couple of better days when I thought it might finally start going away but then I haven't been able to stop coughing for two days now.

Please, someone wave a magic wand over me!

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
*waves magic want*

*sprinkles pixie dust*

Hmm, I suppose dust blowing around doesn't help a cough much. :(

*hugs*