Interning and Querying

Kilawher

Chronic Semicolon Overuser
Registered
Reaction score
In April, I applied for an internship at Big Established Agency, interviewed, and then didn't get the position (don't feel too sorry for me though; I'm interning instead at Other Big Established Agency!). I do my best to keep interning and querying separate, so I didn't query Big Established Agency while I was in the application process. But now that I've been rejected, I want to query the agent I communicated with throughout the process (though didn't interview with). Is this okay? Would she recognize my name? Am I overthinking this (probably)?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
How do you feel about the agency you are currently interning with?

You might want to hold off on querying at all right now, finish your internship, then discuss your book and query with your current agency. If you have a nice relationship with some of your supervisors, you could talk to them before you internship is over if you feel there's a good moment. I understand your desire to keep the two separate, and you should be considering that, but you might get some comments from your current supervisors before you continue to submit it elsewhere. If you're doing good work and they think you have a good eye, they might also think you have a good eye when it comes to writing.

That being said, to answer your original question, no, I don't think it's a problem. I would even mention you have corresponded about the internship, just make sure the agent is aware this is a real business query and not a student looking for advice because you have previously had contact.

For what it's worth, I did this, too. I wasn't ready to query when I was interning, though, so I didn't have a problem--but you may want to wait a month or two until you're done, learn everything you can, then go for it.

Kilawher

Chronic Semicolon Overuser
Registered
Reaction score
I really like the agency I'm interning at right now, but I write YA and, unfortunately, the agent I'm working under doesn't work with YA. I would be thrilled if another agent there who reps YA would like to take a look, but I hate to come out and ask (I'm very interested in a publishing career, especially agenting, and I don't want to come off as someone who only took the internship to get writing advice). Hopefully you're right and I'll end up with a good relationship not only with the agent I'm working with. I've interned at another agency last year (one that again, sadly, doesn't rep YA), and while I wasn't ready to query then either, I had a good relationship with the agent I worked with and she was very helpful with my writing.

Holding off on querying isn't an option right now, as this particular agent was the last on my list :p But thanks for your advice. It's great to hear from someone who's been in the same situation.