Does a gender match between you and your agent matter?

Does a gender match between you and your agent matter?

• My agent and I are the same gender, and I think it matters.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • My agent and I are the same gender, and I think it doesn't matter.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • My agent and I are different genders, and I think it matters.

• My agent and I are different genders, and I think it doesn't matter.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • I've worked with both and same gender worked better.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've worked with both and different gender worked better.

• I've worked with both and it doesn't matter.

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Men tend to like certain types of stories. Women tend to like other types of stories. Or each gender has different ideas of how a good story should be told. This isn't meant to be sexist, but I think few people would argue that there aren't gender trends in reading preferences.

Therefore, does it matter if you and your agent match in gender?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Men tend to like certain types of stories. Women tend to like other types of stories. Or each gender has different ideas of how a good story should be told. This isn't meant to be sexist, but I think few people would argue that there aren't gender trends in reading preferences.

Therefore, does it matter if you and your agent match in gender?

No. The agent will either connect with the material and know how to sell it...or not. And I'd argue that it doesn't matter whether the agent is a man or a women if they connect with the material and know how to sell it.

So, research prospective agents' preferences, and focus on experience and ability to sell your kind of books.

~suki

Deleted member 42

No; but it does behoove a writer to understand the difference between gender and sex.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It may be the case that certain genders in general prefer certain things, but I think you'll find on a case by case basis more differences between individuals than men vs women. For the record I do have female author friends repped by male agents, and vice versa.

I honestly think this is one of those things to put away in the "not worth getting fussed about" department. Considering one will only submit one's work to an agent that specifies he/she is interested in our genre, why would it matter therefore what gender specifies it? It's clear if he/she specifies it, he/she wants it. After that it's a matter of personalities meshing.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Toothpaste. It can matter, but it doesn't necessarily need to. My books are rather boy-centered YA, and my agent is male, but he said he'll probably pitch to female editors because his female assistant and the female interns loved it. It more just depends on what genres an agent likes.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Gender affects averages but not individuals as much. You might find more people of a certain gender liking a particular genre or writing style, but that doesn't mean people of the minority gender among a fanbase are any less dedicated to the genre. (Wow, lots of use of gender and genre here. I remember Weird Al making fun of Eminem for talking about an "entire gender of music.")

For example, you might find fewer men working with romance (just a guess on my part), but the ones who do are probably just as likely to work out as women who work with romance.

Some individuals who have trouble working with members of a certain gender can obviously be problematic, but that's an individual thing and not usually a problem. (If you work best with a particular gender, it would probably help to have an agent of that gender. If the agent works better with a particular gender, it's best if you're that gender. But with most people, it just won't be significant enough to make a difference.)

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I voted for the wrong thing, but: I've worked with both and it doesn't matter.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
I voted in the poll but nah, it doesn't matter.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I worried about this in the beginning. My ms was a thriller, told from a woman's POV, with intensely female issues (including rape). I wondered if a male agent would be able to connect with the MC as well as a female.

My agent is, you guessed it, male, and now I realize how silly that fear was. :) He gets my MC completely.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I think it's the last thing I would think of. I think an agent is concerned with whether or not a manuscript will sell. Sure, they have specific tastes...but the writer should know what those tastes are prior to submitting to them. Their tastes have nothing to do with their gender. They are looking for work that sells...and I'm sure they could care less about the gender of the writer.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
It doesn't matter.

I do admit to being a little nervous about working with a male agent, as a huge stable of agents who rep Urban Fantasy are female. But he gets my characters, loves my writing, and he knows how to sell books. And there's nothing quite like discussing the inclusion/removal of a sex scene during your very first phone call to act as an ice-breaker.... ;)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... doesn't really matter, unless the writer plans to sleep with their agent or something.
Then it might.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great input, everyone. Not one of you said it mattered. In the end, it seems that the ability of the writer and the agent to work together as well as the agent's dedication are all that matters.

Thanks!

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
There's a difference between seeing a trend and believing that all individuals must conform to the trend. Your post implies the latter.

Agents are individuals. You can't decide what they'll want to represent based on sex. They might hit some of the trends. They might not.