What YOU Think about the Ozarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
I'm pitching an article to the editor of a regional magazine here in the Ozark Mountains, an editor I've often worked with in the past. The slant of the article is how the Ozark region is perceived in other parts of the country.

What I need is feedback about what other individuals think when the Ozarks come to mind or are mentioned. At this point, I'm not really seeking quotes to use within the article, just needing to learn some opinions. I might then ask for some quotes - used only with permission - but that depends on what info I get.

Thanks.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I can offer a quote but I can tell you that the Ozarks are beautiful, especially around September. I find it to be a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere. Honestly, I was fascinated with the view for the first time, until I got an experience of the Colorado Mountains in both winter and fall. Although this is off-topic, I find them breathtaking and overwhelming. I'd wriiten a personal journal about the experience. I called it, "I Heard Them Speak Silently." I see beauty so extravagant, that the tones expressed seem aggressive and arrogant. I hear their conversation which silently keeps them conformed to each other. I went on and on about what I percieved from what I saw. Anyway, sorry if I wasn't of much help.

Last edited:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I think of the Ozarks, I think of Arkansas. I am especially fond of Hot Springs. I'm sure it's changed much since I last visited - I think that's why I'm afraid to return - I like my memories the way they are.

I remember the beauty, the views, the lakes you would come upon suddenly. How sometimes when passing through, (I really was passing through and couldn't stop) though I desperately wanted to....everything looked so peaceful and clean.

Sigh. I know there is more to the Ozarks than Arkansas - but that's what I remember the most - the natural beauty.

ANNIE

Registered
Reaction score
My first thought of the Ozarks is poverty.

my sister was a home health nurse living in Hot springs, but serviced the surrounding community. Hot springs is indeed beautiful but if you leave that isolated little area you are confronted with people who live without electricty, running water or heat. I suppose that's what influenses my opinion.

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I also think of Arkansas, clear spring water, beautiful country, especially in the fall when the leaves are turning. Like Annie, I also think of poverty. . .much like my adjoining state. One thing I remember when I was through there a few years back was the many roadside shops catering to the tourists. The Ozarks have their share of outstanding talent. . .furniture builders, wood carvers, quilters, you name it.

Munchkin

Registered
Reaction score
I think of the book Christy, in which a young teacher comes to the Ozarks at the turn of the century to teach. I also like others think of the beauty, and the simplicity of life.

Glynis

Registered
Reaction score
Funny, before going to the Ozarks I thought of hillbillies and people living much the way they did a hundred years before. Yes, I did grow up in a big city on the east coast, but the ideas were there. I went to Hot Springs on a cross country drive and was prepared to rub elbows with the locals and see a jug band or two. Boy was I surprised. As soon as I reached the outer edges I fell in love with it. I spent more time than I ever intended there just soaking in the scenery and the pace of life.

Glynis

JamieE

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.booksyoucanclickwith.com
I think of the Missouri Ozarks. Black Walnuts. So many trees, so colorful in the fall. Green, green, green at other times of the year, rolling hills covered with trees, winding roads. The river, how gently it was flowing. Eating at a restaurant overlooking the river. The group Ozark Mountain Daredevils. The quaint little town, before the country stars took it over and spoilt it (or is that exploited it??). Laura Ingalls Wilder's home.

Status
Not open for further replies.