Why the OU, UKer's?

Lost World

He'll NEVER fit in!
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps someone from the UK could explain the OU put into words that should just have an O. For example, the word "color" in America is spelled "color". In UK writings it is spelled "colour". Why is this? I'm bored, and just wondering.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Wikipedia can explain it so much better than I can, right here.

Fwiw, I was educated in Australia where we also used the "ou" spellings. Now it just looks weird to me.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
It's the same in Canada. It's because we're smart.

Darklite

Registered
Reaction score
It's OU because we invented the language. Anything else is just a modification of the original :D

Darklite

Registered
Reaction score
Are you referring to the long s which used to look like an f? Ie missing would look like miffing?In which case it was still pronounced like an s.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's OU because we invented the language. Anything else is just a modification of the original :D

Sure, and the Ferrari is just a modification of the Model T, but guess which one I'd rather have.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Well, you know us English: forever dotting the I's and crossing those T's, only someone slipped and went 'ou' with their pen. To polite to say anything, they just passed it off as normal with a 'shush, you ain't seen this, right?'

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Wikipedia can explain it so much better than I can, right here.
I love this article because of:
Canadians are somewhat more tolerant of foreign forms.
Yes, we are.

And because of:
Most words ending in an unstressed -our in the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, Australia and most other English-speaking countries (e.g., colour, flavour, honour, neighbour, rumour, labour) end in -or in the United States (e.g., color, flavor, honor, neighbor, rumor, labor). Wherever the vowel is unreduced in pronunciation, this does not occur: contour, velour, paramour, troubadour, are spelled thus the same everywhere.
Which shows that only the US does this, all because of Webster and a scary thing called "spelling reform". *shudders*

In Canadian newspapers, you'll find many of those US spellings, however, because newspaper content is laid out in columns, which makes space a premium. Removing a letter helps maximize space.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
American English is the only version on English that doesn't use OU. Therefore, I think we're wrong and the rest of the English-speaking world is correct. Yes, that's an appeal to majority, and therefore a logical fallacy, but it makes sense to me. ;) I often find myself sneaking in OUs. I suspect this is because I grew up reading a lot of British fiction and the Queen's grammar patterns imprinted on me early.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jeepers. It's 'wood' - not 'would'. Can't you spell?

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
I can't resist...

asking why, if Webster had American English simplified and tidied up so that the so called unnecessary extras were abolished, do we have:

US
across from
at back of
off of
outside of

UK/Commonwealth
opposite
behind
off
outside

In fact of seems added to a lot of verbs in American English.

There are quite a few examples where the simplified American version seems to mean using two or three words instead of one.

Last edited:

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
Are you referring to the long s which used to look like an f? Ie missing would look like miffing?In which case it was still pronounced like an s.

It's "mifing". The single "f" is a double s ("ss"). They still have it in German. "ß"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ß

I'm against the whole American English project simply because I'm for standardisation of languages. Most English speakers (I think) use UK spelling. Not just in the countries, but around the world. Swedish students who learn English have to learn UK spelling.

If US English was bigger than UK English (Internationally) I'd switch in an instant. Somehow I don't think US English wins. Personally I don't care which one ends up winning. My only focus is on being as well understood as possible by my audience.

Last edited:

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
American English is the only version on English that doesn't use OU. Therefore, I think we're wrong and the rest of the English-speaking world is correct. Yes, that's an appeal to majority, and therefore a logical fallacy, but it makes sense to me. ;) I often find myself sneaking in OUs. I suspect this is because I grew up reading a lot of British fiction and the Queen's grammar patterns imprinted on me early.

It's not a logical fallacy, since majority usage is what is the question. Its only a logical fallacy when its irrelevant, like "Manchester is a better than Leeds at football because that's what most people in this room thinks." That would be a fallacious appeal to the majority.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Do Americans actually pronounced color the way they spell it? Seems to me that if you want to be phonetic, it should probably be spelt culler.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
In Canadian newspapers, you'll find many of those US spellings, however, because newspaper content is laid out in columns, which makes space a premium. Removing a letter helps maximize space.

Now that is truly shocking. And it can have nothing to do with 'space premium' or the rest of the OUers would follow suit.

This is worthy of a thread itself - Is Canada culturally kowtowing to the US by the back door? or something.

Stirred, not shaken. ;)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Now that is truly shocking. And it can have nothing to do with 'space premium' or the rest of the OUers would follow suit.

This is worthy of a thread itself - Is Canada culturally kowtowing to the US by the back door? or something.

Stirred, not shaken. ;)
How on earth is this shocking? And my answer is: no.

ETA: Can you, Paul, tell me via PM the next time you're going to port my words directly into another, contentious, thread, please.