PDA

View Full Version : How many books do you own?

Darzian
05-30-2010, 03:45 AM
Let's see how many of us live in libraries!

san_remo_ave
05-30-2010, 03:48 AM
Well over 200.

Thank heavens for ebooks. My home would look like an episode of 'Hoarders' without 'em. Heh.

scarletpeaches
05-30-2010, 03:49 AM
I can't believe the highest category is >200. That barely tickles a quarter of my collection.

scarletpeaches
05-30-2010, 03:51 AM
Ah, we're counting ebooks as well? Right, in that case the answer is way, way over a thousand.

Kateness
05-30-2010, 03:56 AM
well, I have four bookcases on which I count 343 books. There are probably at least a couple dozen more scattered throughout the house on the other several bookcases. There are also at least three large boxes full of books down in the basement of mine.

Xelebes
05-30-2010, 04:01 AM
I have 70 books. Half of them books from post-secondary school.

mccardey
05-30-2010, 04:04 AM
About two thousand. When my son grew up, we pannelled his room with shelves *heart* I have an actual library!! :) (You can all have one when you get to my age - not before.) Also we have shelves in every other room and stuff.

I was one of those kids who always got yelled at for reading all the time. Decided when I grew up I'd have all the books I wanted. My husband did the same thing with chocolate mousse, but books, it turns out, keep a whole lot better than chocolate mousse.... ;) He's moved on to guitars, now...

When we lived in Malaysia I lost almost all my old books because of the humidity. Damn near broke my heart... :(

PS: You know what's a fun site? www.librarything.com

Xvee
05-30-2010, 04:07 AM
Me abacus don't count so high.

Chris P
05-30-2010, 04:20 AM
I just took a random guess of 100 to 200, but as soon as I voted I knew that was way too low. Let me tell you a story.

I was living in Iowa when I got my current job. I called a moving company to get estimates on the move, and the guy came to my apartment.

"Single guy, no appliances, I'll put the weight at 2000 pounds," he said.

"I have a lot of books in boxes," I said.

"Oh, I'm good at this. Your move will be 2000 pounds. Trust me."

"No, you don't understand. I've got A LOT of books. That little bedroom full of boxes? Those are all books."

"Okay, 2300 pounds then. Do you want me to bind that estimate?"

"Yes, please." Estimate bound; no matter how much it weighs, I will only be charged for 2300 pounds.

Moving day comes. Estimator guy isn't there, but the movers are impressed.

"I'll bet you got 3000 pounds here. You got a great deal on the estimate."

"Well, I got a lot of books."

Fast forward three days and 800 miles to Mississippi.

"So," I ask, "what was the final weight on that move?"

"It was 5000 pounds." Dirty look from mover guy. "You got A LOT of books and you're lucky you got that estimate bounded."

"Yep, I do and I am."

Calla Lily
05-30-2010, 04:36 AM
Close to 2000. And darn proud of it. :thankyou

johnnysannie
05-30-2010, 04:38 AM
Thousands. One entire wall of my basement is lined with book shelves and some are double rowed. The downstairs den has built in book shelves that are full. I have books all over the house, burgeoning out of book cases, from shelves, in stacks, under my bed, on a kitchen shelf.....lots of books.

scarletpeaches
05-30-2010, 04:41 AM
I would have had a lot more if it weren't for the brainbusting breakdown/shitfit/God knows what went wrong in my head incident of...well, years back.

I threw out stuff. A LOT of stuff. Like I was trying to throw my life away.

Anyway.

I got through it and built my collection up again but it breaks my heart to think of all those childhood treasures I threw away, second hand books I can't find anywhere now, gifts from now-deceased grandparents...

*sigh*

And another tragedy of life is that I'll never live long enough to read everything.

This thread makes me sad. :(

Matera the Mad
05-30-2010, 04:41 AM
Counting books I have had to get rid of to make breathing space, prolly thousands.

mccardey
05-30-2010, 04:43 AM
I got through it and built my collection up again but it breaks my heart to think of all those childhood treasures I threw away, second hand books I can't find anywhere now, gifts from now-deceased grandparents...

That's how I feel about the ones I lost in Malaysia. It still makes me sad - such wonderful books, and half of them never heard of again :(

Life goes on -

- but, you know, sadly...

:(

Darzian
05-30-2010, 04:45 AM
http://atheistdiscussion.com/images/smilies/whacky%20emoticons/goofy.gif

Clearly the poll options are skewed in the wrong direction

If we put all of AW together we may just be able to establish the world's biggest library.

Carolanne Patton
05-30-2010, 04:47 AM
Uh, my house has its own designated library. It was necessary.

Chris P
05-30-2010, 04:48 AM
I threw out stuff. A LOT of stuff. Like I was trying to throw my life away.

Anyway.

*sigh*

And another tragedy of life is that I'll never live long enough to read everything.

This thread makes me sad. :(

Thanks for the warning! I've been tempted to make a clean sweep and this is what I would have to look forward to.

scarletpeaches
05-30-2010, 04:48 AM
That's how I feel about the ones I lost in Malaysia. It still makes me sad - such wonderful books, and half of them never heard of again :(

Life goes on -

- but, you know, sadly...

:(It probably doesn't make sense to anyone who's not a bookworm, but it really makes my heart sore to think of it. Not the money. Who cares? Some books only cost 10p. They smelled of mildew and musty boxes in second-hand shops in out-of-the-way backstreets, but...

I think I was borderline suicidal and doing that 'getting rid of one's possessions' thing.

Main thing is I'm still around, but...damn. If only I could turn back time.

Sorry.

/depression off.

Fran
05-30-2010, 04:56 AM
Very, very few. Less than twenty. I had severe depression and got evicted from my flat and I left virtually everything. The beautiful coat I bought in France, the guitar I'd had since I was 10, my Gamecube, all my DVDs, everything. And all my books. I had about 500, but everything went wrong in my life while I lived in that flat and I just couldn't bear to go back there and get my stuff. I know it sounds ridiculous, but the very thought of going back there gave me a panic attack. So I understand where sp's coming from - clear that life out and start a new one. With my thirteen books. ;) But I'm happy now.

mccardey
05-30-2010, 05:02 AM
It probably doesn't make sense to anyone who's not a bookworm, but it really makes my heart sore to think of it. Not the money. Who cares? Some books only cost 10p.

It makes sense to me...

I'd give you a hug except you might think that's really sookie....

cooeedownunder
05-30-2010, 05:03 AM
I'm probably the odd one out here - apart from my absolute favourites and reference books, I don't bother keeping them anymore. Although I love the feel and smell of odd books, I got sick of having to keep dust off them, and a few years back put them in the boxes in the garage, then about a year after that, decided it was really stupid keeping books in boxes.

sheadakota
05-30-2010, 05:05 AM
Thousands and I have read them all.

Silver King
05-30-2010, 05:10 AM
I mentioned in another thread recently that I've given away most of the books I've read. I still have several hundred I'll hang on to, but I get much more satisfaction knowing others might enjoy books that would otherwise sit on shelves unread in my home.

cooeedownunder
05-30-2010, 05:14 AM
Yeah, I shoot mine down to the second hand shops.

Cella
05-30-2010, 05:16 AM
I'm not going to count all of my books, but if I did, I'd probably stop after about 10 anyway. :)

Most of them are text books.

PEBKAC
05-30-2010, 05:18 AM
A few years back our basement flooded and I lost maybe four moving boxes of books. That really hurt since a lot of those were things that were given to me before I could even read, books that my grandmother gave me when she passed away, things from my mother, etc.

Right now I have 6 book cases in one room, three other book cases scattered around the house, my nightstand is full, the shelves in my walk-in closet are a quarter full, I have three book cases in the garage that are packed, I have a book case at work that's full, there is an area in my bedroom on my side of the bed that I call my crap corner that consists of piles of books, I have a stack of moving boxes in the garage that are full, I snuck two boxes full of books into a closet that my wife has labeled "off limits" for books because it's her closet (I packed up some things I KNOW she will never look at again and put them in the garage to make room for my books -- don't tell!), and right now I have some piled up in the hallway.

I said on the forum somewhere that my dream was to retire and open a used bookstore -- I wasn't kidding :) I just bought three new books from Borders today! I can't help myself, especially when they send out those 40% off coupons. My wife calls it an illness and at this point I can't really argue with her.

Shadow_Ferret
05-30-2010, 05:23 AM
If it weren't for needing money for alcohol during my college days, I'd have a few thousand more.

mccardey
05-30-2010, 05:33 AM
I said on the forum somewhere that my dream was to retire and open a used bookstore -- I wasn't kidding :) I just bought three new books from Borders today! I can't help myself, especially when they send out those 40% off coupons. My wife calls it an illness and at this point I can't really argue with her.

Peb, have you read those gorgeous Goldstones books about accidental book-collecting? And Nicholas Basbanes "Gentle Madness" titles? I think you'd love them :) Also Anne Fadiman...

That's what you need - a collection of books about collecting books.... *sigh*

It is an illness.

thethinker42
05-30-2010, 05:36 AM
My library is somewhere in the neighborhood of 4,000. Unfortunately, most of them are in storage in the States...we had a weight limit for bringing stuff to Japan with us. But they'll be there when I come home. :D

virtue_summer
05-30-2010, 05:38 AM
I'm estimating about three hundred. I used to have about triple that but moving, etc, I've been forced to get rid of a lot of them. I donated them to the library, though, so at least I know they went to a good cause. Some I miss, especially those from my childhood. They were old friends.

Rhoda Nightingale
05-30-2010, 07:40 AM
*still counting*

Ryan David Jahn
05-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Something over 1,500. Every couple years I try to get rid of non-essential books, but my library keeps growing anyway.

soapdish
05-30-2010, 07:45 AM
Closer to 100 than 200 now. Been really cleaning things out over the last few years. People kept complaining when they helped us move. Too many heavy boxes. :) Plus so much of what I read now is online. Or I just go to the library and so the books only live on my shelf for about 2 wks.

dgrintalis
05-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Too many to count. I have bookcases in many rooms of my house. And the rooms without bookcases have stacks of books in various places. :D

willietheshakes
05-30-2010, 08:02 AM
Uh, my house has its own designated library. It was necessary.

I'll see your library and raise you a two bedroom basement suite down the street from the house which is office/library.

As to the size of my collection? I would think 5000 would be on the low side.

charlotte49ers
05-30-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm an elementary school teacher, so I own a TON. It gives me an excuse to buy and read children's books. :)

Medievalist
05-30-2010, 08:16 AM
I mentioned in another thread recently that I've given away most of the books I've read. I still have several hundred I'll hang on to, but I get much more satisfaction knowing others might enjoy books that would otherwise sit on shelves unread in my home.

I got rid of about 2,000 before putting five thousand or so in storage since I knew I was moving. They've been in storage now almost two years, and what with print books getting harder and harder to read, I think I'll probably end up reducing them to a thousand or less.

There are about 500 that I need for academic purposes--they're awfully specialized, and many aren't even readily available, and there are probably only another 500 that I'd actually use /read/ enjoy on a regular basis.

I'm definitely going to sell the collectible SF/F books that I didn't read because they were signed ARCs or whatever.

soapdish
05-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Iím suddenly feeling horribly inadequate :cry:

Darzian
05-30-2010, 08:30 AM
I hope everyone leaves explicit instructions in their Will specifying the fate of the books. ;)

slcboston
05-30-2010, 08:33 AM
I just took a random guess of 100 to 200, but as soon as I voted I knew that was way too low. Let me tell you a story.

I don't remember living in Iowa

:ROFL:

*exact* same thing happned to me, except for the states in question

slcboston
05-30-2010, 08:35 AM
... though I currently own a lot less, but there were limits on what I was willing to move the next time around

:D

The Kidd
05-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Between the two of us, my fiance and I have around 500 books or so and that number is ever growing. Not e-books. Books. I should take a picture of my bedroom floor because they are everywhere.

CoffeeLover
05-30-2010, 11:50 AM
I'd have to say too many to count as well. Years as a bookseller will do that. I give them away regularly but I keep buying too.

Wayne K
05-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Maybe a hunnid or so, but it's not the numer of books that counts to me--It's the quality. I can get any book I want from the library, so I only keep the greats

Terie
05-30-2010, 12:07 PM
When I moved to the UK from the US 10 years ago, I pared my library down to about half of what it was, and still more than 1/3 of the boxes I moved were books. My inventory was something like:

Box 1: Dishes
Box 2: Shoes
Box 3: Books
Box 4: Books
Box 5: Clothes
Box 6: Books
Box 7: Books
Box 8: Pots and pans
Box 9: Clothes
Box 10: Books

And so on. I was lucky that the cost of shipping was by volume, not weight!

Plus, since moving, I've acquired at least as many books as I purged before my move. It's....a personality flaw. :D

Chasing the Horizon
05-30-2010, 12:49 PM
I have about 200 or so. I try not to keep fiction books I'm not going to read again.

I used to have a lot more, but a lot disappeared over various moves. I wish I'd been more careful about what I kept (read: kept more), but none of them were rare or anything so I can always buy them again or get them from the library.

Shakesbear
05-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Thousands! Mine and the ones I inherited from my mother. I have given a lot away to charity shops - but they seem to have the ability to reproduce.

edited to say it is the books that have the ability to reproduce not the charity shops!

ElsaM
05-30-2010, 04:59 PM
The house I grew up in had nine bookcases (mostly floor to ceiling). There was double stacking on some shelves, and countless cardboard boxes full of books that didn't fit anywhere else. There was one shelf of unread books (the new ones no one had gotten around to yet). My parents have since gone through two major book culls, but they keep buying more.

I consider them a library and always make sure to borrow an armload when I visit. My personal collection is quite small, probably no more than 300.

ChaosTitan
05-30-2010, 05:26 PM
I tried counting once and think I reached somewhere around 2000. And I have to pack and move them all in two months. *whines*

That doesn't even count my comic books, graphic novels and ebooks....

Jamesaritchie
05-30-2010, 05:41 PM
200? Jeeze, I have thousands of books in my TBR pile alone. I'm not sure about the total number of books I own. I just purged a bunch, but I think it's still round 20,000.

Jamesaritchie
05-30-2010, 05:44 PM
I hope everyone leaves explicit instructions in their Will specifying the fate of the books. ;)

It really doesn't matter to me. My family can keep what they wish, and sell, give away, or throw away the rest.

Adam
05-30-2010, 05:57 PM
*Waits for Mscelina to post* :D

Personally, I have around 100, and as a family around 300-350, I'd guess. :)

Unless I count my "101 classic ebooks" disc that I got with my ereader, which I don't. ;)

Kyra Wright
05-30-2010, 06:19 PM
I personally own at least 400, and my family's library has at least that many more. I'm starting to run out of room for my books, but each time I think about sorting through them and donating or recycling some, I have a mini panic attack. Yet I continue to buy books...

Clearly I need an eReader.

NicoleMD
05-30-2010, 07:51 PM
I only have around 150, but I'm a slow reader, maybe a book a month if I'm lucky. Otherwise I'd probably be completely broke all the time.

Nicole

Becky Black
05-30-2010, 09:46 PM
I just made a rough estimate and it looks like between 500 & 600. There'd be more, except that I've reached the limit on space and so have to get rid of batches periodically.

williemeikle
05-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Let's see how many of us live in libraries!

Last count we were over 5000...

SirOtter
05-30-2010, 10:09 PM
About 10,000 among the six of us in this house.

LaurieD
05-30-2010, 10:29 PM
I have a 5-shelf bookcase behind me as I sit at my desk, the top 4 shelves 2 rows deep, 2 rows high of paperbacks each, the bottom with larger, hardcover books. There's another, wider, deeper 5-shelf bookcase in my bedroom, all five shelves filled, the 4paperback shelves 3 rows deep, 2 rows high, the hardcover/odd sized shelf full side to side and some laid horizontally on top. There's a 4 shelf bookcase in the hall with the kids' books - much loved picture books to the chapter books they're reading now - which is simpley crammed with books, the corner wall it is tucked into acting as a bookend on one end of the topmost shelf, a stack of books acting as the opposite end bookend. That's just what's on shelves. There are boxes of books in the closet, stacks under the windows in my room, by the side of my kids' beds and both my hubs and my side of the bed, and more stacks on my desk.

The bookcase behind my desk is around 300 and the stack on my desk is 6 high.

DamaNegra
05-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Wow, and people told me I was insane for having almost 300 books.

gideonna
05-30-2010, 11:22 PM
We purge frequently, but buy equally as often so I'm estimating that we own around 2000 books. One lounge wall is full, and there are bookcases in the bathroom, bedrooms and garage. Keeping the industry alive!

SirOtter
05-30-2010, 11:26 PM
I've never gotten rid of a book that sooner or later I didn't regret it. So I stopped getting rid of them.

Ken
05-30-2010, 11:33 PM
... own about thirty all told. Most books I read are from the library.

benbradley
05-30-2010, 11:38 PM
I estimate 7,000 to 10,000.

I write about my bookshelves and moving them (the bookshelves with the books on them, so I don't have to box/unbox when I move) here:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146440&page=2

BardSkye
05-30-2010, 11:54 PM
:Hug2:to Fran and Scarlet. Like losing old friends, isn't it?

Shakesbear, you're right about how they multiply. I've taken to leaving the lights on all day and night to inhibit them, but it doesn't seem to be working.

I did a major clean-out last week and sent off everything I don't re-read on a regular basis. I now have half of one shelf empty. I'd estimate that'll last until the next time I walk past a bookstore.:tongue

scarletpeaches
05-30-2010, 11:54 PM
It is. Trouble is, I threw them away. No-one to blame but myself. Gah!

Marian Perera
05-31-2010, 12:42 AM
I group my books by genre, so I just did a count of the fiction shelves and there were 283.

Just woke up from a nap, so too sleepy to count non-fiction.

EFCollins
05-31-2010, 12:55 AM
Thousands. I have boxes of books in the attic, several bookshelves (which are all overstuffed to the point of the books hanging over the edges) which means there are more than one or two shelves in each room of my house, and still I have books piled near my bed, hiding in drawers, tucked open and face down under couch cushions (those are my morning books, people!). Plainly put, there are books every frigging where.

Namatu
05-31-2010, 02:12 AM
I'm guessing between 100 to 200. I used to have a lot more, but as I moved, and as I did not have enough space, and as my parents became less willing to house those left behind, the number's declined. I also go through minimalist phases, which sees many books out the door.

Aside from reference books, if I read it and loved it, I keep it. If it was good but I can't see myself rereading it, I give it away. If I've owned it for several years and never felt the urge to reread, it goes. At this point, half of what I own has been read, the other half has not.

Phaeal
05-31-2010, 02:20 AM
I have books in every room of the house (eight), including the bathroom. And I need more bookcases!!! All of mine are in the overflowing stage, where on every shelf books are packed on top of the books standing spine-out. Where the shelves are wide enough, books are slotted in two deep, which is a pain, since you can't read the inner row of titles. Plus there are books on every bureau top, dresser top, linen cabinet top, etc. And those essential books on the toilet tank.

I've never counted them, though.

A house without books? How sad that would be.

benbradley
05-31-2010, 04:36 AM
The poll has 55 responding over 200 and 11 for all others, 200 or less. I suppose that's not a surprise for a site of writers.

Such a poll needs to be based on a geometric sequence. This looks reasonable, with each range being three times the size of the previous one:

Under 10
11-31
32-100
101-316
317-1,000
1,001-3,162
3,163-10,000
10,001-31,622
31,623-100,000
Over 100,000

Okay, so it doesn't look so reasonable. It looks funny with that square-root-of-10 factor. We can just round to the nearest first digit and get close enough:

Under 10
11-30
31-100
101-300
301-1,000
1,001-3,000
3,001-10,000
10,001-30,000
30,001-100,000
Over 100,000

There's ten categories, roughly "equally spaced" geometrically. But I'm not sure whether I'm in the 7th or 8th category...

scarletpeaches
05-31-2010, 04:40 AM
I'd be in the 301-1,000 category. Upper end. Or over that if we're counting ebooks.

Rhoda Nightingale
05-31-2010, 07:39 AM
Okay. So I have 197 currently piled up in my room, and I know there are more in various other places in the house or on loan to my mom, so I'm comfortable with that >200 category.

C.bronco
05-31-2010, 07:49 AM
I have no idea, but they are very heavy when moving. It's best to pack them in small boxes to prevent pulled muscles.

Darzian
05-31-2010, 08:19 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AKcPFvhXE8M/SomBU-2Wt3I/AAAAAAAAGh4/rrzjjTxeGeE/s320/wow-wow-shock-surprise-smiley-emoticon-000325-large.gif

I rarely buy- mostly borrow from the library. Some of your places should be made into monuments!

And those of you with walls lined by bookcases- I envy thee :D

C.bronco
05-31-2010, 08:20 AM
My son has over 500. I have more. Half of mine are poetry.

Imbroglio
05-31-2010, 08:26 AM
Thousands?!

Holy cow, that's intense. Someone mentioned they had read them all as well.

I'm definitely not that ambitious.

I currently own 7 books.

D=

C.bronco
05-31-2010, 08:33 AM
You'll get more, not to worry.

HelloKiddo
05-31-2010, 10:14 AM
I estimate 7,000 to 10,000.

Gulp.

I figured the numbers would be high around this joint, but sheesh!

The number of "read for pleasure" books I own is about a handful, if that--this is partly due to poverty, partly just b/c I absolutely despise clutter and junk.

I'm a library gal :D

Alitriona
05-31-2010, 11:41 PM
I believe books are meant to be read and not left sitting on a shelf. So, when I finish a book I give it away unless I intend to read it again. As a result I own very few books.

Jamesaritchie
06-01-2010, 01:00 AM
Gulp.

I figured the numbers would be high around this joint, but sheesh!

The number of "read for pleasure" books I own is about a handful, if that--this is partly due to poverty, partly just b/c I absolutely despise clutter and junk.

I'm a library gal :D

Clutter and junk? Books are not clutter and junk. I prefer a library, too. I just prefer having it at home. Nothing is as beautiful as bookcase after bookcase filled with books.

Jamesaritchie
06-01-2010, 01:01 AM
I believe books are meant to be read and not left sitting on a shelf. So, when I finish a book I give it away unless I intend to read it again. As a result I own very few books.

I read almost all of them over and over. But give them away? I'm not rich enough to give away thousands of books.

scarletpeaches
06-01-2010, 01:08 AM
The money's already spent though, JAR. You're not any more rich for hanging on to them.

That said, I'm with you. Give away books? To...to...oh, now, what are those people called...friends! That's it!

Hell no. Buy your own.

KTC
06-01-2010, 01:18 AM
God...you used such low numbers. I would think that everybody has at least 200 books. I have thousands of books. And I do mean thousands.

Shadow_Ferret
06-01-2010, 01:19 AM
I've never gotten rid of a book that sooner or later I didn't regret it. So I stopped getting rid of them.

This. I have many regrets. And the ones I got rid of, I am now in the process of trying to find and buy again. Unfortunately, they're much more costly now then the first time around.

So do you collect anything? Or do you get rid of everything you own once you've used it? Just curious.

I collect my books. Some people collect stamps. Coins. Butterflies. I collect books. And memories. I pull them out, sometimes to reread, sometimes just to admire the art work or remember the memories and feelings the book once brought.

You're not any more rich for hanging on to them.
Sure he is, just not monetarily. There's the expression, no man is poor who has friends. And books are my friends.

scarletpeaches
06-01-2010, 01:19 AM
Daw, Fuzzface. You big softy. C'mere, gimme a hug.

KTC
06-01-2010, 01:22 AM
Just for kicks I just went and counted the books on my closest bookshelf...which is a relatively small one -- 273. I have 11 bookshelves...and boxes of books downstairs...and others elsewhere around the house.

scarletpeaches
06-01-2010, 01:22 AM
That's enough to make me want to move into your house.

Well, apart from the absolute goon who owns it.

KTC
06-01-2010, 01:23 AM
That's enough to make me want to move into your house.

Well, apart from the absolute goon who owns it.

trust me...he'd exorcise the neighbourhood if you even got close!

Jamesaritchie
06-01-2010, 01:56 AM
The money's already spent though, JAR. You're not any more rich for hanging on to them.

That said, I'm with you. Give away books? To...to...oh, now, what are those people called...friends! That's it!

Hell no. Buy your own.

Yes, I am richer for hanging onto the books. In an emergency, meaning absolute desperation, family starving, and being too much of a coward to rob a bank, I can always sell the books.

Let's see. I acquired most at discount, or even at Goodwill, but I figure I still have $75,000 or so wrapped up in them, and I could probably sell them all for, oh, $29.95 or so.

Wait a minute. I think I'm beginning to see why I can't afford that beach house in Hawaii.

scarletpeaches
06-01-2010, 01:56 AM
Build a house out of books!

Ruv Draba
06-01-2010, 03:14 AM
Every few years when my books are bulging three-deep on the shelves, fill three rooms, begin stacking on the ironing-board and spill off my bedside table onto the floor, I have a purge and donate everything to charity except those titles that I absolutely positively know I'll read again. I love keeping books, but feel that words unread are wasted.

Margarita Skies
06-01-2010, 03:47 AM
I have 2 books, Stephen King's Thinner and an ebook in my computer. I had like 9 or 10 books when I lived in Florida but when I moved to my homeland I didn't bring them with me. I couldn't. I had 3 books by Shannon Drake, 2 books by Dan Brown and 1 book by John Hagee, if I remember correctly... oh, and a book in the Harry Potter series, but I don't remember exactly which one. It was one that had almost 900 pages.

ElsaM
06-01-2010, 06:09 AM

We reread a lot in my family.

Books in the (fairly extensive) nonfiction collection are normally read from front to back by my dad on purchase, and are then used repeatedly to prove people on tv are wrong about stuff.

Becky Black
06-01-2010, 02:05 PM
One thing I do to mitigate the pain of having to get rid of some - if they are in good condition and especially if they are hardbacks - I donate them to the local library. That way if I do find I need one again I can go borrow it. I think of them as my offsite storage facility. ;)

And if I need to I can borrow any book published in the UK from the library with Interlibrary loans, so I really don't need to own every single book in the world - as much as I'd like to.

shaldna
06-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Last count - which was for the house insurace about a year ago - came up with just over 12,000 books. Most of them fiction, about 50 FD's and about 10 that are worth more than my car.

Alot of them were presents - people always buy me books - I'm in a couple of books clubs, and I get alot of discount and reject stock from a friend who works in a big book chain.

But I have a library, a small one, but a library nonetheless. It has my desk in it. Smells nice.

Margarita Skies
06-01-2010, 11:44 PM
I am considering collecting Stephen King's books. I am planning on buying another SK book this month, maybe It.

shaldna
06-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Terry Pratchett says you should never trust anyone who only owns one book.

Shadow_Ferret
06-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Terry Pratchett says you should never trust anyone who only owns one book.

I tend to not trust anyone who doesn't have a library in their house. When I was growing up, we had our attic remodeled and it became wall to wall to wall bookshelves. I spent a lot of time up there. It was my happy place.

Mharvey
06-02-2010, 07:00 PM
I put 100-200 full length novels, though counting books I read when I was a child, easily over 500. :)

I am considering collecting Stephen King's books. I am planning on buying another SK book this month, maybe It.

It was good. Just thumb past the Child Pornography part near the end....

... still not quite sure what was going through King's mind there, but then again, all geniuses have to be insane at least an hour a day.

Jamesaritchie
06-03-2010, 12:04 AM
I put 100-200 full length novels, though counting books I read when I was a child, easily over 500. :)

It was good. Just thumb past the Child Pornography part near the end....

... still not quite sure what was going through King's mind there, but then again, all geniuses have to be insane at least an hour a day.

I believe It was written during King's cocaine period, which would explain quite a bit.

He wrote The Tommyknockers just a year before writing It, and says he doesnt even remember writing that one.

Williebee
06-03-2010, 12:20 AM
I think I'm down to a few thousand now.

Margarita Skies
06-03-2010, 12:21 AM
I believe It was written during King's cocaine period, which would explain quite a bit.

He wrote The Tommyknockers just a year before writing It, and says he doesnt even remember writing that one.

Wow, this has left me speechless.

MGraybosch
06-03-2010, 12:57 AM
Too friggin' many.

scarletpeaches
06-03-2010, 12:59 AM
Wow, this has left me speechless.He was off his tits for most of the 70s and/or 80s so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

benbradley
06-03-2010, 02:25 AM
Too friggin' many.
Wrong answer. As the original MTV slogan went, too much is never enough.

He was off his tits for most of the 70s and/or 80s so it wouldn't surprise me at all.
And he has since become a Friend of Bill W.

Margarita Skies
06-03-2010, 03:28 AM
He was off his tits for most of the 70s and/or 80s so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

:ROFL:

BardSkye
06-03-2010, 05:21 AM
I walked past a bookstore yesterday. My shelf space is gone again.

scarletpeaches
06-03-2010, 06:30 AM
I have literary constipation.

I can't pass a bookstore.

KTC
06-03-2010, 06:47 AM
I have literary constipation.

I can't pass a bookstore.

well, in your defense, a bookstore is a helluva big thing to pass.

Elisabeth Bruce
06-03-2010, 09:49 AM
If I placed our hundreds of books on the floor and rolled in them, I would know exactly how my dog feels when she rolls in a cowpat.