Is it CTS or something else?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had Carpal tunnel so I'm not sure.

My laptop made a correct sitting posture difficult. I was afraid that was going to give me carpal tunnel. Not to mention that I sitting in a foling chair for a good week if not more >.>
So what I did was (well first I got a different chair, much more comfortable) I put the laptop on top of a wooden stand, raised it 2-3 inches. Makes it much easier to look at it correctly and retain posture.
The problem is my arms. I have to raise them pretty high now, and I sort of have to bend my wrists to get at the keys correctly.

After a few hours a kind of ache set into, not my wrist or hand, but my upper arm. I'm thinking at this point it's just muscle fatigue. But I'm wondering if CST can take root in parts of the body besides the hands/wrists. Besides which I'm not actually sure how effective it is in helping to begin with.

Been trying to hunt down exercises against CST and other countermeasures like short breaks every hour or so. Is it a bad sign if trying to do this exercise is difficult to maintain? I could barely go up to 7 repetitions.
Speaking of exercise, a remember seeing another thread on CST where a member talked about an exercise with weights involving the wrists that they did to help fend of CST, anyone know anything about those?

Also looking into buying another monitor and cordless keyboard, which would be a much more pleasing solution.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I developed CST with one of my pregnancies. Apparently it's common to get it during pregnancy and after the birth it goes away, which in my case, it did thank God. It.freakin.hurt.

I really don't know anything about it other than my experience, but with me, it was only in my right hand and wrist. If I kept my wrist wrapped tightly it helped. It hurt the most in the morning when I first woke up. It made my arm weak and inhibited my ability to grip or pick things up with that hand.

Hope you don't have it. It's no fun.

CalynMorgan

In case of zombies, break the glass
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have CST but I do have Tendinitis :( I got it from poor posture while on my laptop! The pain was enough for me to be out of work for three days. It's been a couple weeks now and the pain is gone and the tightness is gone but my fingertips are numb. Literally numb, it's the weirdest feeling. I would not wish this experience on my worst enemy.

I would sit Indian style on my couch and place my lap top right on my lap and type away. Now I have a lap desk that has built in wrist supports. I also used a brace to keep my wrist straight while I slept and it worked wonders. If I didn't wear the brace to bed my entire arm would have a sharp pain when I woke up. (if the pain didn't wake me up to begin with)

The exercises hurt me as well but massaging my hands with lotion was like heaven. It still hurt but it felt good at the same time. In the thread I posted everyone told me to rest rest rest. I will relay their message to you and tell you to REST. By rest I mean do close to nothing for a couple days if you can. See if the pain subsides.

Also, if your not allergic I took Excedrin every morning and throughout the day. It helped take the sharpness of the pain off but life sucked for a while.

Best of luck! I know how you feel and it is not a good feeling.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
There are all kinds of Repetitive Stress Injuries. Carpal Tunnel can be worse because of the tight anatomy of the area, and nerves can be more affected than in many places in the body.

BUT... any repetitive stress can become a big problem if it continues. REST.

Holding your arms up at all is bad ergonomics. Your arms should be able to be relaxed working at a keyboard. Easier said than done, I know :)

Good luck :)

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just can't take it anymore. It's CTS, not CST. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I swear I'm usually not one to correct other peoples errors, but this time..I dunno...it was driving me nuts. CST is Central Standard Time.

I realize that I make mistakes like this all the time, so I don't know why I felt the need to point this out. I don't straighten other peoples pictures. I don't tell someone when I notice they're wearing one black sock and one blue one. I'm just having an unusual day, I guess.

P.S. You can't get CTS in your upper arm because carpals are the bones in your wrist and the proximal portion of your hand. You can get tendonitis anywhere you have a tendon. See your doctor if it persists.

Okay, I'm going back to my normal, non-flaw-pointer-outer self now. Hope you feel better soon.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

I keep wondering when my sig is going to drive someone over the edge. I could have fixed it eons ago, but I love it when people go batty like that ;)

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Holding your arms up at all is bad ergonomics. Your arms should be able to be relaxed working at a keyboard. Easier said than done, I know :)
I'm going to go buy a new keyboard and monitor very soon. Then I'll just hook those up to my laptop and I can finally have them both where I want them.
Actually made a thread for the keyboard choice if you're interested.

I just can't take it anymore. It's CTS, not CST. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I swear I'm usually not one to correct other peoples errors, but this time..I dunno...it was driving me nuts. CST is Central Standard Time.

Realized that about five seconds after I posted :p

Deleted member 42

There are online guidelines about workplace ergonomics with suggestions about height and placement of furniture and equipment.