Why do you write?

Why do you write

• To fill a need within yourself - don't really care sometimes if you get published

Votes: 48 51.6%
  • With the hope of being a published and successful writer?

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • To make it rich on the NY times best seller list

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • That's just what I do for fun

Votes: 31 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassy3421

Plotting murder..most of the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
Just curious what everyone has to say?

The chances of getting published are less than ever...there's so many of us out there and the competition is fierce. And that's not even broaching the subject of the economy...

I guess I write because it fills a need in me. Well I hope to be successful with it, I realize the chances might be slim. Yet, I still struggle with the conviction to keep up doing it (especially edits)!

Why do you write?

Xvee

I Need Monkeys
Registered
Reaction score
I want to entertain people. Spread some joy and smiles. But I guess I could achieve the same being a party clown.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I write because I have something to say. I want someone to read my work and say "Damn, I wish I wrote that"

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
Because I can't not.

I'm a writer, it's just what I am.

But driving people crazy with cliffhangers, getting them to squee over pairings in the series and making them cry doesn't hurt either. :p

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I write because I love telling stories, because I enjoy entertaining others, because I love arranging words until they paint vivid pictures.

I write because every time I touch the keyboard I learn something new about my worlds, about my characters, and about myself.

I write because it's fun and because I'm pretty good at it.

If those last two things weren't true, I'd do something else and be happy doing that instead. :D

Reaction score
Okay, honest answer?

I write to be heard.

Also, it's pretty cool that I make shit up and get paid for it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious what everyone has to say?

The chances of getting published are less than ever...there's so many of us out there and the competition is fierce. And that's not even broaching the subject of the economy...

I guess I write because it fills a need in me. Well I hope to be successful with it, I realize the chances might be slim. Yet, I still struggle with the conviction to keep up doing it (especially edits)!

Why do you write?

Well, it's actually much, much easier to get published than ever before. There are more publishers now, and bazillions of people who read books.

But this aside, while I enjoy the process of writing, and wouldn't write if I didn't enjoy it, I write primarily for the money.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
do you know, I have been putting this off for years. I let people tell me that it's too hard to get published, or no one ever makes a full time living out of writing, and a host of other lame-ass reasons why I shouldn't bother.

And then I thought to myself, I don't want to die, not having tried to do this. Life is fleeting. I don't want to be lying on a road having been hit by a bus (or whatever), and think, I could have written. Why didn't I at least try? even if I'd failed, I could have said I'd done my best.

So, I'm giving it a go. And it probably sucks. And I probably won't get published. And chances are I will never do this as a living. But I'm still enjoying every minute I get to spend with my characters, and I still feel a powerful drive to do this - and that's reason enough for me :)

Sassy3421

Plotting murder..most of the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
we all need encouragement

do you know, I have been putting this off for years. I let people tell me that it's too hard to get published, or no one ever makes a full time living out of writing, and a host of other lame-ass reasons why I shouldn't bother.

And then I thought to myself, I don't want to die, not having tried to do this. Life is fleeting. I don't want to be lying on a road having been hit by a bus (or whatever), and think, I could have written. Why didn't I at least try? even if I'd failed, I could have said I'd done my best.

So, I'm giving it a go. And it probably sucks. And I probably won't get published. And chances are I will never do this as a living. But I'm still enjoying every minute I get to spend with my characters, and I still feel a powerful drive to do this - and that's reason enough for me :)

Wow! thanks Missy M for sharing that! You're right. It doesn't matter at the end of the day if I have fun doing it! :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
i love words. they're so slippery and tongue tingling. i groove on them instead of heroin. heroin was nice...but it's for the younger crowd.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Because I love to. It's also a hobby that I enjoy doing. And although I already have some nonfiction published, I want to write fiction, to entertain. I want to write fiction (or heck, even nonfiction) as a full time job.

If I can continue to generate at least a thousand words a day, I can finish a first draft--theoretically--in sixty days.

Writing would be a great job to do full time. It's something I'm reasonably good at, there's no heavy lifting, no driving through traffic, very little overhead, and I'd get to stay with my baby daughter as she grows up.

Now, all I gotta do is sell my novel and I'll be set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is therapeutic for me. I use it to get the fantasies out of my head so I can focus on real life. I once had a doctor try to put me on anti-OCD meds thinking my fantasy factory was a manifestation of OCD. I would stay up all night sometimes rehashing scenes in my head. Writing them down helps.

But I also care about certain things and I want others to care about them too. Maybe that's why I think about them so much. Being published is one way to do that. Of course I have fantasies of hitting it big and living a life of leisure for the rest of my days, but sharing these parts of myself is enough.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
But this aside, while I enjoy the process of writing, and wouldn't write if I didn't enjoy it, I write primarily for the money.

Honesty at last! While I love writing - and writing is a huge part of who I am because I've written and made up stories all my life - the money is a major factor.

So my reasons would be:

1.scribo ergo sum
(I write, therefore I am)
2. I like it and I'm good at it
3. the money

kaitiepaige17

Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!
Registered
Reaction score
Because I have too many story ideas in my head, if I don't get them out my head will explode.

Status
Not open for further replies.