PDA

View Full Version : Why do you write?

Sassy3421
05-28-2010, 12:51 AM
Just curious what everyone has to say?

The chances of getting published are less than ever...there's so many of us out there and the competition is fierce. And that's not even broaching the subject of the economy...

I guess I write because it fills a need in me. Well I hope to be successful with it, I realize the chances might be slim. Yet, I still struggle with the conviction to keep up doing it (especially edits)!

Why do you write?

Xvee
05-28-2010, 12:57 AM
I want to entertain people. Spread some joy and smiles. But I guess I could achieve the same being a party clown.

blacbird
05-28-2010, 01:41 AM
You forgot the "Damned if I know" option.

caw

scarletpeaches
05-28-2010, 01:42 AM
I want to get laid.

Wayne K
05-28-2010, 01:52 AM
I want SP to get laid too :D

blacbird
05-28-2010, 01:53 AM
There are more efficient ways.

caw

TrickyFiction
It's a bad, bad habit.

Wayne K
I write because I have something to say. I want someone to read my work and say "Damn, I wish I wrote that"

Stormhawk
05-28-2010, 01:55 AM
Because I can't not.

I'm a writer, it's just what I am.

But driving people crazy with cliffhangers, getting them to squee over pairings in the series and making them cry doesn't hurt either. :P

aadams73
05-28-2010, 01:58 AM
I write because I love telling stories, because I enjoy entertaining others, because I love arranging words until they paint vivid pictures.

I write because every time I touch the keyboard I learn something new about my worlds, about my characters, and about myself.

I write because it's fun and because I'm pretty good at it.

If those last two things weren't true, I'd do something else and be happy doing that instead. :D

scarletpeaches
05-28-2010, 01:59 AM
Okay, honest answer?

I write to be heard.

Also, it's pretty cool that I make shit up and get paid for it.

waylander
05-28-2010, 02:03 AM
Because the voices tell me to

Margarita Skies
05-28-2010, 02:08 AM
I write because I love it. :)

Jamesaritchie
05-28-2010, 02:25 AM

The chances of getting published are less than ever...there's so many of us out there and the competition is fierce. And that's not even broaching the subject of the economy...

I guess I write because it fills a need in me. Well I hope to be successful with it, I realize the chances might be slim. Yet, I still struggle with the conviction to keep up doing it (especially edits)!

Why do you write?

Well, it's actually much, much easier to get published than ever before. There are more publishers now, and bazillions of people who read books.

But this aside, while I enjoy the process of writing, and wouldn't write if I didn't enjoy it, I write primarily for the money.

MissMacchiato
05-28-2010, 02:29 AM
do you know, I have been putting this off for years. I let people tell me that it's too hard to get published, or no one ever makes a full time living out of writing, and a host of other lame-ass reasons why I shouldn't bother.

And then I thought to myself, I don't want to die, not having tried to do this. Life is fleeting. I don't want to be lying on a road having been hit by a bus (or whatever), and think, I could have written. Why didn't I at least try? even if I'd failed, I could have said I'd done my best.

So, I'm giving it a go. And it probably sucks. And I probably won't get published. And chances are I will never do this as a living. But I'm still enjoying every minute I get to spend with my characters, and I still feel a powerful drive to do this - and that's reason enough for me :)

Sassy3421
05-28-2010, 02:38 AM
do you know, I have been putting this off for years. I let people tell me that it's too hard to get published, or no one ever makes a full time living out of writing, and a host of other lame-ass reasons why I shouldn't bother.

And then I thought to myself, I don't want to die, not having tried to do this. Life is fleeting. I don't want to be lying on a road having been hit by a bus (or whatever), and think, I could have written. Why didn't I at least try? even if I'd failed, I could have said I'd done my best.

So, I'm giving it a go. And it probably sucks. And I probably won't get published. And chances are I will never do this as a living. But I'm still enjoying every minute I get to spend with my characters, and I still feel a powerful drive to do this - and that's reason enough for me :)

Wow! thanks Missy M for sharing that! You're right. It doesn't matter at the end of the day if I have fun doing it! :)

KTC
05-28-2010, 02:39 AM
i love words. they're so slippery and tongue tingling. i groove on them instead of heroin. heroin was nice...but it's for the younger crowd.

underthecity
05-28-2010, 02:59 AM
Because I love to. It's also a hobby that I enjoy doing. And although I already have some nonfiction published, I want to write fiction, to entertain. I want to write fiction (or heck, even nonfiction) as a full time job.

If I can continue to generate at least a thousand words a day, I can finish a first draft--theoretically--in sixty days.

Writing would be a great job to do full time. It's something I'm reasonably good at, there's no heavy lifting, no driving through traffic, very little overhead, and I'd get to stay with my baby daughter as she grows up.

Now, all I gotta do is sell my novel and I'll be set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha!

MissMacchiato
05-28-2010, 03:03 AM
you're welcome sassy! I hope it helps :)

Chris P
05-28-2010, 03:22 AM
It is therapeutic for me. I use it to get the fantasies out of my head so I can focus on real life. I once had a doctor try to put me on anti-OCD meds thinking my fantasy factory was a manifestation of OCD. I would stay up all night sometimes rehashing scenes in my head. Writing them down helps.

But I also care about certain things and I want others to care about them too. Maybe that's why I think about them so much. Being published is one way to do that. Of course I have fantasies of hitting it big and living a life of leisure for the rest of my days, but sharing these parts of myself is enough.

Ken
05-28-2010, 04:13 AM
... feel like I've got something to say and would like the opportunity to voice it.

MGraybosch
05-28-2010, 04:35 AM
Because I can.
Because I choose to.
Because nobody can stop me.

johnnysannie
05-28-2010, 04:43 AM
But this aside, while I enjoy the process of writing, and wouldn't write if I didn't enjoy it, I write primarily for the money.

Honesty at last! While I love writing - and writing is a huge part of who I am because I've written and made up stories all my life - the money is a major factor.

So my reasons would be:

1.scribo ergo sum
(I write, therefore I am)
2. I like it and I'm good at it
3. the money

kaitiepaige17
05-28-2010, 04:47 AM
Because I have too many story ideas in my head, if I don't get them out my head will explode.

Varthikes
05-28-2010, 05:14 AM
Mainly because I enjoy it. And, people who have read my work have enjoyed it. I aim to get published so more people can enjoy my stories. :)

Sassy3421
05-28-2010, 05:17 AM
You guys are helping re-ignite me. :D I've just been bogged down in edits...and fighting off the "I'm never going to make it blues"....tomorrow I might be a genius lol

RemusShepherd
05-28-2010, 05:18 AM
Missing poll option -- 'To shut up the voices in my head'. ;)

ChaosTitan
05-28-2010, 06:17 AM
I write because I have stories to tell and I want to share them with others. And it's really frakking cool that someone's paying me to do it. :D

blacbird
05-28-2010, 06:47 AM
I write because I have stories to tell and I want to share them with others.

Me too. If only the prospective sharees would agree.

And it's really frakking cool that someone's paying me to do it.

Must be great. I'll never know. I can't even get anyone to read my stuff for free. Honestly. I've been waking up at night recently, debating in my head whether or not it might just be time to pack it all in and do some serious file deletion. It's obvious that there exists no conceivable audience for any creative writing I'm capable of producing. So the issue of "Why do you write?" is kind of a tough one. I don't have a good answer.

caw

christwriter
05-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Because nobody is writing exactly the kind of books that I want to read. 'Nuff said.

kurzon
05-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Reasons for writing:

- Because it's fun.
- Because if I don't get those stories out of my head, there's times I can't think of anything else.
- Because I like certain types of story, and there's not enough of the ones that hit my tastes available for me to read.

Reasons for chasing publication:

- Because I'd like to talk about those stories with other people who like them.
- Who doesn't want to write "Author" on their tax return?

Sandy Shin
05-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Because I like writing and have novel-length ideas I would love to read on paper.

Being published would be nice, though. It's that dream that helps better my writing. Otherwise, if it were only for fun, my writing would be terrible. (Worse than it is now, that is.)

bri_ness
05-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Because my friend just told me she was searching for the words to describe something that happened to her, and she cried when she read my work because I found those words for her.

Moments like that, that's why I do this. I want to help people make sense of humanness, myself included.

Xvee
05-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Because my friend just told me she was searching for the words to describe something that happened to her, and she cried when she read my work because I found those words for her.

I enjoy making people cry too, but probably for different reasons than you.:cry:

Mom'sWrite
05-28-2010, 08:58 AM
I write because writing is my sanctuary, my therapy, and my profession. That makes me one of the fortunate people I know. (Plus there's that whole bookish girl/unredeemable misfit thing I got going on.)

NeuroFizz
05-28-2010, 09:00 AM
It is a unique and different kind of intellectual challenge (compared to the day-job challenges, which are just as creativity-based, but much more structured). The freedom of creativity is both intoxicating and difficult (at times), which both make the challenge more enjoyable--the former for obvious reasons, that latter for the satisfaction of mentally working through the tough spots. This is a very cerebral activity, and it appeals to the cerebral receptivity and interest of our readers (if we do it right). That kind of contact and contract with our readers is golden.

Xelebes
05-28-2010, 10:59 AM
I want to be able to tell stories, crack jokes and all those things but when I get rather non-verbal, writing is my only option.

vnNichols
05-28-2010, 11:33 AM
I have ideas that excite me.

Wayne K
05-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Because I'm good at it.

shaldna
05-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Because I like it.

That's all.

gracemichael
05-28-2010, 05:51 PM
My nonfiction: Because it's cathartic and maybe my experiences can help someone else.

My fiction: because I have too many "what-ifs" in my head that make good stories!!

C.bronco
05-28-2010, 05:58 PM
I want to make a living doing what I love to do, preferably a very good living.

cwfgal
05-28-2010, 10:56 PM
I chose the first two options. While I've always wanted to have my writing published, it's something I would do anyway even if I knew I'd never be published. The fact that I can get paid to do something I enjoy is gravy.

Beth

Kweei
05-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Because I feel wrong if I don't write.

SadieCass
05-29-2010, 12:22 AM
Because the voices tell me to

THIS!

As I love to say "I'm not schizophrenic. I'm a writer!"

gothicangel
05-29-2010, 12:23 AM
Because I like frightening people. :D

Rhoda Nightingale
05-29-2010, 12:51 AM
I write because I just can't help myself. I want to get published because it'd be awesome to share the crazy ideas in my head with other people. And see them bound with shiny, glossy covers. And have Guillermo del Toro direct the movie.

EagerReader
05-29-2010, 01:14 AM
It's unlimited freedom to create. Anything, any way you want it. Who could ask for more?

Shadow_Ferret
05-29-2010, 01:48 AM
Because it's the only skill I have and if I can't succeed with that then I've got nothing.

willietheshakes
05-29-2010, 01:52 AM
Chicks.

CaroGirl
05-29-2010, 02:47 AM
I be liking those picture-type thingys I be making with them, like, words. It's a gas, man.

Ruv Draba
05-29-2010, 03:15 AM
Writing fiction makes me look at things differently, and helps me appreciate more of what I see. Writing stories to share makes me try and use my perceptions to add value to the lives of others. Succeeding at it would confirm that my perceptions matter to more than just me.

Medievalist
05-29-2010, 03:18 AM
They pay me.

CynV
05-29-2010, 04:00 AM
I read a quote once, went something like this:
"It Has Been Said That Every Writer Without Exception Is A Masochist, Sadist, Peeping Tom (or Tomacina), Exhibitionist, Narcissist, And A Depressed Person Constantly Haunted By Fears Of Failure And Unproductivity....Thank Goodness, Now We Know Why We Write!'
That seemed to me to always sum up why I write in a neat, and comical little two-sentence package. The real reason I write is much deeper and more daunting. Though I wouldn't dare deny that I am an exception to being a masochist, sadist, peeping tomacina, or an exhibitionist...I find those titles rather fun and befitting, narcissist might be a little harsh but what the hell I'll accept that too.
I've honestly never really thought about why I write until I came across this probing question. It simply is who I am. Someone asks what I do for a living and I fire off with my label: "I'm a writer."
The Lord gave me the talent of being skilled with words. If The Lord gives you a gift I believe it is your gift back to Him to use it to its fullest potential. Back in the old days I would've been called a bard (or maybe just rambling madwomen.)
I love to create worlds. I love to develop characters, breathe life into them, set them off on adventures, let them indulge in romance and intrigue and excitement...and ultimately kill them. Well, in rare cases...most cases actually, if it fits my mood. There's that "sadist" tag again. It's a great outlet to be creative and reign as master over an entire little world that exists only in your head until you put it down in print and the seed spreads to an unsuspecting reader...and now the world exists in their head and you can share your own experiences of that world. A screenwriter friend of mine just mentioned to me that if he couldn't be creative he would just die, just fall over and die. People need to express themselves in some way...writing has been my outlet for a very, very long time now. I can remember writing short stories that made no sense at all on my sisters typewriter, click, click, clicking away with childlike glee. There were no rules back then and there really shouldn't be now either.
I don't write to make a profound impact on the world. I don't write to force my viewpoint on affairs down people's throats. I don't write because the ghost of Conan is standing behind me with an axe threatening my life should I not finish his tales (although I don't doubt for a minute in Robert E. Howard's claims!).
I write because I have a story inside me that wants to get out and, short of having it crawl out of my ears while I sleep and run off to become the nightmare ghoul under a child's bed, I condemn it to paper so that others might just have a little bit of entertainment and enjoyment in a world filled with negativity.
So that's why I write.

Namatu
05-29-2010, 04:36 AM
I'm in the "because I like it" camp. And it makes me happy.

ebennet68
05-29-2010, 05:00 AM
I would really choose two options: to fulfill a need and also to be published and successful.

Sassy3421
05-29-2010, 05:18 AM
I would really choose two options: to fulfill a need and also to be published and successful.

I'm with you on that ;)

blacbird
05-29-2010, 07:42 AM
I'm in the "because I like it" camp. And it makes me happy.

And if nobody ever reads any of it?

Do you ever submit anything for publication?

caw

mario_c
05-29-2010, 07:56 AM
And if nobody ever reads any of it?
:D Try being a script writer - even your agent doesn't read your work. You can't even call yourself an Author...you're more of an architect or business consultant. Not that those fields are devoid of creativity, but...
I don't even know if I should be in this thread. :tongue

bettielee
05-29-2010, 08:41 AM
I love makin' shit up. :)

...and I don't really live in this world. Not really.

nighttimer
05-29-2010, 09:18 AM
I write because if I don't it's not there.

False modesty does not become me. I do want to have a NY Times bestseller. I do want to make money and if I get laid in the process that's the cherry on top.

Somebody else can play the part of the tortured artist who feels they don't deserve fame and fortune. Screw that. I want it all and I want it now. :fistpump

scarletpeaches
05-29-2010, 09:49 AM
I love you so hard. It's like you just licked my brain.

I want money, groupies, recognition, awards...

Mostly groupies though. Who pay me for the privilege. And give me awards.

Phaeal
05-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Riches would be nice, but others control the purse-strings. If all I wanted was the money, I'd have quit long ago.

I have stories to tell. I tell them as well as I can. I offer them to the world. I've done my part, now the ball's in the world's court. While it's dribbling it, I'll tell another story and try to tell it even better this time.

Sassy3421
05-29-2010, 05:32 PM
as a published writer we get groupies? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked010.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Phaeal
05-29-2010, 09:04 PM
I suppose it's possible that some demented fans might swing that way.

My theory is that the possibility of groupies rises in direct proportion to both your bank account and your glitz factor. It may also rise in direct proportion to your smut index. In which case...

;)

SaraP
05-29-2010, 10:32 PM
I write because I found out I could actually pay attention to the voices in my head. And now they won't shut up.

Yes, I want to get published and make money out of it. That wasn't why I started though and it's still not why I do it.

willietheshakes
05-29-2010, 10:37 PM
as a published writer we get groupies? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked010.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

On the advice of counsel, I decline to answer that question.

NeuroFizz
05-29-2010, 11:14 PM
as a published writer we get groupies?
Yeah, but they're the little old ladies and gentlemen from the Shady Hills Rest Home reading circle. And they are enthusiastic before lunch.

scarletpeaches
05-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Damn. So what are my chances of being stalked by the Leto brothers based on the filth levels of each novella I write?

Bookdragonette
05-30-2010, 12:31 AM
Because it allows me to be pedantic about others' grammar, spelling, and sentence-building.

Sassy3421
05-30-2010, 01:23 AM
ooh man, so no fun groupies that still have their own teeth? damn....

willietheshakes
05-30-2010, 02:14 AM
ooh man, so no fun groupies that still have their own teeth? damn....

On the advice of counsel, I decline to correct you...

mario_c
05-30-2010, 05:43 AM
Damn. So what are my chances of being stalked by the Leto brothers based on the filth levels of each novella I write?
I'm sure you can score a backstage all access pass cause you're that damn good. :)

Why am I not shocked the discussion has turned to getting laid? Or hooking up, as you youngsters call it...

Sassy3421
05-30-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm sure you can score a backstage all access pass cause you're that damn good. :)

Why am I not shocked the discussion has turned to getting laid? Or hooking up, as you youngsters call it...

well I'm not so worried about that! lol i'm a happily married woman but I just wanted to be forewarned. I'm not sure which would worse though...groupies or stalkers? both kind of scare me honestly (I write murder mysteries) lol

scarletpeaches
05-30-2010, 05:39 PM

Why am I not shocked the discussion has turned to getting laid? Or hooking up, as you youngsters call it...Not so young.

I'm in my mid-30s.

Sassy3421
05-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Not so young.

I'm in my mid-30s.

me too! 33 :)

tinapickles
05-30-2010, 08:09 PM
I write because some one a back when I was in the early parts of my education told me that because I was dyslexic I would never be able to read or write very well (and I'm only mildly dyslexic). I don't like being told I'm can't do something.

I write because I love the way words sounds when you put them together.

I write because I have a big imagination, and an even bigger sense of curiosity.

I write because it fills up the hours in my days; I write because these days I'm lucky enough to have hours available to fill up with writing.

I write so I can getter better at it.

I write hoping that someone will love my characters and stories as much as I do and want to pay me (how ever little) to keep doing it.

That's why I write.

gideonna
05-31-2010, 12:55 AM
I write because I enjoy creating new worlds. I also find pleasure in learning a craft that has the power to make people laugh, cry and believe.

scarletpeaches
05-31-2010, 12:58 AM
I have a God complex and an insatiable need for Radley bags.

Lyxdeslic
05-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Why do you write?To expunge these fucking voices from my head.

Oh, and because it's the only outlet I've found that provides me utter freedom.

Lyx

Lilreeper
06-01-2010, 06:49 AM
Personally? Because somewhere along the line I stumbled upon a dark, empty one-way street leading to a very very bad decision. Until a book about a small boy wizard found it's way back into my life, and gave me something to believe in when I didn't want to believe in anything.
So I write because I owe my life to literature. And maybe, if I can reach out to just one person with my silly little book, then it'll make everything worth it, and I'll know I at least did one thing right with my life.

darkangel77
06-09-2010, 01:52 AM
I love writing. I have stories to tell, characters to create (my absolute favorite part of writing...fleshing out characters!), and I love the feeling of accomplishment I get after finishing a WIP.

Nobody has written the type of book I want to read, so I figure I'll do it myself ;)

As far as publishing is concerned, one day, I will go for it and start querying. It would be my dream to get a book published one day, but if I never do, I can't say I didn't try.

Jamesaritchie
06-09-2010, 03:05 AM
I love writing. I have stories to tell, characters to create (my absolute favorite part of writing...fleshing out characters!), and I love the feeling of accomplishment I get after finishing a WIP.

Nobody has written the type of book I want to read, so I figure I'll do it myself ;)

As far as publishing is concerned, one day, I will go for it and start querying. It would be my dream to get a book published one day, but if I never do, I can't say I didn't try.

Nobody has read the type of book you want to read? That's a pretty large statement.

Sandy Shin
06-09-2010, 03:48 AM
I write because I love it, because I have ideas and stories I want written down. That said, however, I do write with hopes of getting published. If that dream never comes true, I will still write, but not with the fervor and with as much an eye for improvement as I do now.

Stanmiller
06-09-2010, 04:03 AM

Why do you write?

For the sex, and the guns. And some money would be nice, but I'd just spend it on more guns. And maybe a better computer. And a new gun for Mrs Stan.

backslashbaby
06-09-2010, 04:25 AM
It just amuses me. And it amuses other people, so it's a win-win.

Now I'm looking to get paid instead of giving it away, because I wouldn't mind making a buck from it, no. But if that is a big headache, I'll just continue to do it for free.

Mann Crux
06-09-2010, 07:31 PM
I write because its the only thing I'm really drawn to, other than film-making, and you don't need a blockbuster budget or a crew to write a book.

The secondary reason would probably be that I'd very much like to be published, is that it would allow me greater freedom than most other paying-jobs and I wouldn't have to constantly interact with people.

Libbie
06-09-2010, 07:34 PM
I write because I'm really good at it. I enjoy doing things that are easy and fun for me.

Libbie
06-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Oh, and I don't think the chances of getting published are less than ever. I think it's always pretty safe to assume that at any given point in time, about 99% of what publishers/agents see is crap. There's more crap now, but it's still in the same proportions.

Lavern08
06-09-2010, 08:26 PM
It just amuses me. And it amuses other people, so it's a win-win.

... I wouldn't mind making a buck from it.

But if that is a big headache, I'll just continue to do it for free.

What she ^ said. ;)

Titan Orion
06-11-2010, 10:15 PM

Pretty much sums up my own reason as well. High five!

I remember very clearly when the idea came to me.

When I was 11, in the Summer holidays before moving to highschool, my family and I moved from England to France. We had family friends out there, mum wanted a change of scenery, and her at-the time partner raised the question "Wana move to France?" So we did. It was alright, but we knew no other English people there, so me and my bro would have been totally bored... if it wasnt for my mums partner. He had been DMing a long term Dungeons and Dragons game with the family, including several of my uncles and aunties-it was awesome, me and my bro loved it. Anyways, we started another smaller D&D game, but step-dad also threw a certain Dragonlance trilogy at me and my bro.

Time, War and Test of the Twins. I thought they were awesome, partly because of the D&D references, more so for the story. And I though, "I want to write my own."

Ever since, I wrote. Most of what I wrote had no point to it, but through those walking-dead heaps of garbage and NPCs I put into my own D&D games, I began to see patterns emerging. The same silouettes made appearances, slhouettes that tantalizingly watched me from a distance. "Who are you?" I would ask, but I was always answered with silence, until one time one answered.

"I am Dariken."

I knew which one he was straight away. He was the short, dark haired man, the lean dual wielder, the ancient adolescent, the one who was afflicted with something that made him inhuman. Eventually he would become my protagonist, earth-shaking product of my unnatural evolution theme.

The story Ive had in mind for Dariken has been rattling around for about 4 years now, and I'll be damned if I dont try getting it published when I finish! And even though I have removed as many D&D references that pop in as possible I will always recognise that as the source of my imagination, and Dragonlance as the spark of my desire to write.

R.I.P. Gary Gygax.