PDA

View Full Version : If only wishes were fishes...

LittleFlowerLei
05-27-2010, 07:13 AM
I know I shouldn't complain. I'm not the only one having these troubles, but I can't help it. Sometimes I find myself wishing I could type into google: "Agents that will accept a story about..." and get helpful results, OR that I could get a good reccomendation from someone with an agent and actually have my story at least LOOKED at.

But you know what they say, if wishes were fishes, then something'll happen.

>.> Its really kind of dejecting when I realize that, in ALL of the agents I sent Azalea to, nobody even wants at LEAST a partial. When I was trying to market TEB (title now changed) I at least got ONE partial request, even if it ended in an R.

Worst part: All I get is form rejections. Nobody tells me what I'm doing wrong, so I can't fix it. I just have to guess what I'm doing wrong, and because its me, I'm guessing that every little word I ever wrote is wrong.

>.< Life is hard. sry if I sound whiney, I just needed to vent.

mccardey
05-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Cheer up, Petal :) It is terribly thankless sometimes...

LittleFlowerLei
05-27-2010, 07:48 AM
^_^ thanks. I'll try and cheer up xD

Cricket18
05-27-2010, 07:51 AM
I know I shouldn't complain. I'm not the only one having these troubles, but I can't help it. Sometimes I find myself wishing I could type into google: "Agents that will accept a story about..." and get helpful results, OR that I could get a good reccomendation from someone with an agent and actually have my story at least LOOKED at.

But you know what they say, if wishes were fishes, then something'll happen.

>.> Its really kind of dejecting when I realize that, in ALL of the agents I sent Azalea to, nobody even wants at LEAST a partial. When I was trying to market TEB (title now changed) I at least got ONE partial request, even if it ended in an R.

Worst part: All I get is form rejections. Nobody tells me what I'm doing wrong, so I can't fix it. I just have to guess what I'm doing wrong, and because its me, I'm guessing that every little word I ever wrote is wrong.

>.< Life is hard. sry if I sound whiney, I just needed to vent.

LFL-

That sucks. I'm kind of new to these boards...I'm wondering what your genre is and word count if you care to share. If not, I understand. This business can be so brutal sometimes....

LittleFlowerLei
05-27-2010, 07:54 AM
LFL-

That sucks. I'm kind of new to these boards...I'm wondering what your genre is and word count if you care to share. If not, I understand. This business can be so brutal sometimes....

np.

Genre: YA/Fantasy (not urban)
Word Count: about 75k

Dx that it can. I mean, if they'd TELL me whats wrong, I'd be more than happy to fix it. But its all "Agenting is a subjective buisness blah blah blah"

tracythewriter
05-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Maybe it's your query? Have you put it through Query Hell on these boards yet?

{{{Petal}}}

Hope things start to look up. This business is crazy hard. We all sympathize!

LittleFlowerLei
05-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Maybe it's your query? Have you put it through Query Hell on these boards yet?

{{{Petal}}}

Hope things start to look up. This business is crazy hard. We all sympathize!

Idk, I had a query that went through hell and came back out in better condition, but I wrote a new one and thought it sounded better.

xD I hope things start to look up too. Thanks for sympathizing with me.

David Poellot
05-27-2010, 08:00 AM
I was also going to suggest QLH. I sent mine through six different times before I felt confident enough to send it out. I feel good about it now, but I'm also only getting rejections. Just started though. 10 sent, 5 rejected, 5 waiting.

Also, from what I've read on these boards, isn't 75,000 long for a YA? I don't know the genre, other than the fantasy part, but I thought YA was normally under 60,000. Can you do any trimming?

LittleFlowerLei
05-27-2010, 08:03 AM
I was also going to suggest QLH. I sent mine through six different times before I felt confident enough to send it out. I feel good about it now, but I'm also only getting rejections. Just started though. 10 sent, 5 rejected, 5 waiting.

Also, from what I've read on these boards, isn't 75,000 long for a YA? I don't know the genre, other than the fantasy part, but I thought YA was normally under 60,000. Can you do any trimming?

Maybe-- Or I can market it as just fantasy xD I thought I was keeping it trim as it was.

idk, I might send my query through QLH if I ever get my enthusiasm back up for this whole stupid craft (its just stupid right now. Tomorrow it might be back to "this is the only thing I want to do with my life!" )

David Poellot
05-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Just fyi, the fantasy novel that I'm querying right now (non-YA) is 74,000 words. Mine might be too short, but I'm leaving that to the agents and editors to decide.

mccardey
05-27-2010, 08:06 AM
(its just stupid right now. Tomorrow it might be back to "this is the only thing I want to do with my life!" )

That's the spirit :)

LittleFlowerLei
05-27-2010, 08:07 AM
That's the spirit :)

xD Thanks.

suki
05-27-2010, 08:08 AM
With no partial requests on this book, and only one on the book before, I'm sorry to say it's time to review the query and the first chapter. Maybe get some fresh beta readers.

Because if you are targeting the right agents - ie, agents who represent your genre, are open to queries, you follow their guidelines, etc. - then you should be seeing at least some partial requests.

I know it can be tough to face maybe the manuscript or query aren't yet really as effective as they can be, but it's worth taking the time to get more critique, do more revisions if need be, etc.

And sometimes it just takes a few books until you get one that can hook an agent's interest. :)

But if you love writing, stick with it, keep working at all aspects of your writing.

And if this is just one of those nights, then put it away, get some sleep, and look fresh tomorrow. :)

Hugs and good luck.

~suki

LittleFlowerLei
05-27-2010, 08:10 AM
With no partial requests on this book, and only one on the book before, I'm sorry to say it's time to review the query and the first chapter. Maybe get some fresh beta readers.

Because if you are targeting the right agents - ie, agents who represent your genre, are open to queries, you follow their guidelines, etc. - then you should be seeing at least some partial requests.

I know it can be tough to face maybe the manuscript or query aren't yet really as effective as they can be, but it's worth taking the time to get more critique, do more revisions if need be, etc.

And sometimes it just takes a few books until you get one that can hook an agent's interest. :)

But if you love writing, stick with it, keep working at all aspects of your writing.

Hugs and good luck.

~suki

I'm thinking that the one before Azalea didn't really sell was because it was CRAZY long, and I hadn't realized it. I'm currently working to shorten it (and doing pretty good xD ) but im still discouraged. I really thought that (while I was writing Azalea) that it would work. I had somebody beta it not to long ago and all he had was praise for the first chapter, so idk. Maybe I'll find something else to do tonight and try to forget about it until further notice.

Cricket18
05-27-2010, 08:36 AM

And if this is just one of those nights, then put it away, get some sleep, and look fresh tomorrow. :)

Hugs and good luck.

~suki

You just said what I was going to say, but better. :)

LFL-It doesn't sound like your genre or word count is the problem. I'd look at your query again. Repost, put it on Query Tracker or pm me. I'd be happy to take a look as well. Good luck!

LittleFlowerLei
05-27-2010, 08:39 AM
You just said what I was going to say, but better. :)

LFL-It doesn't sound like your genre or word count is the problem. I'd look at your query again. Repost, put it on Query Tracker or pm me. I'd be happy to take a look as well. Good luck!

I just put the query up in QLH for review xD Now its up to the powers that be.

Drachen Jager
05-27-2010, 09:21 AM
You should have submitted your new query to QLH.

I have reviewed it there. I'd say, "I'm sorry to say it's terrible", but in this case that might just be a good thing since it's easily remedied. Don't query again until you get a general vote of approval from QLH, it's not worth it.

LittleFlowerLei
05-27-2010, 09:36 AM
You should have submitted your new query to QLH.

I have reviewed it there. I'd say, "I'm sorry to say it's terrible", but in this case that might just be a good thing since it's easily remedied. Don't query again until you get a general vote of approval from QLH, it's not worth it.

xD wow, I didn't know it was that bad. Okay, I'm trying to figure out how to follow your advice. But if I cut out the words you told me to, won't that make the setting part of it suffer?

Miss Plum
05-27-2010, 09:57 AM
LFL, thanks for posting in. We're all there to some degree or other.

Are you working on your next novel yet? Getting a second one under your belt and coming back to this one could freshen your perspective on it and strengthen your skills as a writer -- AND provide you with the sheer pleasure of writing.

LittleFlowerLei
05-27-2010, 10:00 AM
LFL, thanks for posting in. We're all there to some degree or other.

Are you working on your next novel yet? Getting a second one under your belt and coming back to this one could freshen your perspective on it and strengthen your skills as a writer -- AND provide you with the sheer pleasure of writing.

Yeah, I have a ton xD But the one I'm working on now idk if you would call a "Second Novel" because its a completel overhaul of the one I wrote before Azalea. It was long, and I've found that stuff that took me AGES to say in the other one, I'm saying like that -snap-

so idk, would you count that as a second novel?

kaitie
05-27-2010, 04:56 PM
I gave you a critique, too. :) I definitely think you can make it stronger. The idea sounds nifty, though. Good luck! Rejections can definitely be frustrating.

Chris P
05-27-2010, 05:06 PM
This thread is why I come here. A writer comes here with the same worries I have, and people who know their stuff provide direction and encouragement, pointing out the problems with the goal of getting the writer agented and then published! Great work all!

I am scared to death of querying! But my first trials in QLH pointed out a major problem in my novel (the 200K words) that no query letter would have corrected. Because of this, my novel is shorter and better. I'm hoping I can get back into querying it soon.

Drachen Jager
05-27-2010, 07:41 PM
xD wow, I didn't know it was that bad. Okay, I'm trying to figure out how to follow your advice. But if I cut out the words you told me to, won't that make the setting part of it suffer?

Well... It wasn't getting any responses so there must be a problem with the query. Unless I suppose it correctly reflects the content of the book and it's the book that's being rejected. Which is why I said you should be happy it's the query. If the query was good but the book, as reflected by your query, was being rejected, well then there wasn't much hope going forward with this one.

Miss Plum
05-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I have a ton xD But the one I'm working on now idk if you would call a "Second Novel" because its a completel overhaul of the one I wrote before Azalea. It was long, and I've found that stuff that took me AGES to say in the other one, I'm saying like that -snap-

so idk, would you count that as a second novel?
That's good enough. Not so much your "second" novel as your next novel. The ol' Don't get bogged down obsessing -- keep busy! project.

suki
05-27-2010, 09:29 PM
I just put the query up in QLH for review xD Now its up to the powers that be.

I've been staying out of QLH these days, but I'll check it out to see if I have anything else that might be helpful to add.

Also, I'd suggest reposting the first 1,500 words of the book in the approrpiate SYW forum or getting a few new betas to read the first chapter for you. Because while you're working on the query, you want to make sure the pages can hook the agent, too. Even the best query can't get partial/full requests if the pages aren't working. :)

~suki

LittleFlowerLei
05-27-2010, 09:30 PM
I've been staying out of QLH these days, but I'll check it out to see if I have anything else that might be helpful to add.

Also, I'd suggest reposting the first 1,500 words of the book in the approrpiate SYW forum or getting a few new betas to read the first chapter for you. Because while you're working on the query, you want to make sure the pages can hook the agent, too. Even the best query can't get partial/full requests if the pages aren't working. :)

~suki

Thats true. Okay, I'll do that :3 thanks!

cooeedownunder
05-28-2010, 12:14 AM
I'd also suggest, if you haven't already, put out a small sniplet on SYW.

Good luck with it.