SOAPnet Cancelled

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
It isn't often that you hear of an entire network being canceled. But according to this article, the channel is being replaced by a Disney channel aimed at preschoolers.

Now, I don't watch many things on SOAPnet, but I don't imagine that anyone who does watch it will be tuning in for preschool-Disney. So I'm sort of confused by this.

Also interesting is that SOAPnet has a somewhat successful original series called "Being Erica," that was just renewed for another season.

The switch isn't supposed to happen until 2012.

:e2shrug:

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

How am I supposed to get my General Hospital,All My Children,and One Life To Live fix?

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
I am upset, too. I sent an email to ABC to let them know how I feel. Might help.

Aji

Should Be Writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Ack, I hope Being Erica finds its way to another channel or a time slot somewhere! A friend turned me on to that show and now I'm hooked!

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
I saw this briefly on the news and was a little sad and surprised. Strangely, I never watch the channel-obviously ratings are the reason for the departure; but I really like the concept of an all soaps channel. I would love for there to be a retro soap channel, on demand, or online feed that could just stream current dailies and classic nighttime soaps in an effort to keep the genre alive. I really like the old stuff, but don't watch anything new!

More importantly, I think this is another nail in the coffin for soaps in general, and though I don't watch or agree with all the over long formula melodrama, I do think it is important for a network to have an ongoing pool of cast, crew, and writing to pull from. Without this training ground I expect prime time network tv to get worse than it already is, and right now its so sucky I don't watch anything there either.

Pure and simple I think soapnet fell because it strayed from its original audience of the rerun soaps. You can get modern stuff like the first 90210, chick flicks and One Tree Hill anywhere today. Ryan's Hope at 6 am? Dallas taken off the air? Is Falcon Crest on dvd? They should have been content with their niche over 40 female demographic-because honestly, there is no one appealing to that demo now, except maybe Hallmark and the new GMC gossip music station turning into retro wholesome programming.

I know people joke about the original soap demographic dying off, but I've work in senior facilites where women are living into the 110s and still watch their soaps like clockwork. It's not the number of people that are falling off, just the number of individual tvs. A dozen women a day with one tv doesn't look good to the preciously outdated Neilsons.

Oh well. Disney however is a beast and they don't need anymore channels or crappy direct to dvd sequels. If the channel must be replaced, do with anything but more Disney! I guess no one bothered to realize it isn't daytime moms with babies watching or not watching soaps. Its late night folks catching up on the soap reruns. TV execs are just stupid.

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
I'm back, here's the wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOAPnet

Strange that they are blaming the ability to watch online or dvr as the reason for Soapnet's failure. A contributor yes of course, but ABC sees a return on an online or HUlu agreement, right? I think saying folks can get the soaps online and then also have the ratings because the kids are watching the Disney Junior channel is a little bit of a double dip on ABC's part. They want it both ways it seems.

People should just leave well enough alone.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
What? Will I have no hope then of ever seeing Dynasty reruns on TV?

How am I supposed to get my General Hospital,All My Children,and One Life To Live fix?
Well, for General Hospital, just take the last round of dialogue you remember and rewrite it ten million times. It'll probably even be better that way. ;)

I spend a few hours almost every weekend with SoapNet on in the background while I read or clean or stare out the window. This is unfortunate.