PDA

View Full Version : Who took the f'in' P out of my synopsis!!!

KTC
05-27-2010, 01:57 AM
I REJECT myself!

I sent out a few queries over the past couple of days with the word synosis in them!

YES! YES I DID!

Thankfully, not a lot of agents ask for a synopsis...but the ones who did are going to hit the REJECT button when they get to that word.

My God!

Just colour me stupid and be done with it.

I curse copy/paste AND the bastard gremlin who erased the P in the first place!

Major Fail.

\rant

scarletpeaches
05-27-2010, 02:00 AM
If it's any help I once sent out an email with a spelling mistake in it. I claimed to write under a psedonym.

I got a full request.

KTC
05-27-2010, 02:04 AM
If it's any help I once sent out an email with a spelling mistake in it. I claimed to write under a psedonym.

I got a full request.

I've been working SO hard lately, Peachy. I just feel like sitting in a corner and crying. It's been query, query, query...a few partials, a full...but just go, go, go. And writing and editing. And then I use the laptop with firefox (which underlines spelling errors) and I see my mistake and then go back and check to see how long I've been making it. I don't know how it happened! I'm so fucking dejected. Putting in hours and hours at getting everything just right and researching agents and everything and everything and everything. And then...only to find out that I'm stupider than mud.

Where's the give-up line?

/pointless wasted time whining...

scarletpeaches
05-27-2010, 02:05 AM
They'll put it down to a typo. Honestly.

I know. You feel like kicking yourself in the head. Don't.

Let me.

Drachen Jager
05-27-2010, 02:14 AM
I sent out an e-mail with the wrong agent's name at the head.

>DELETED!<

KTC
05-27-2010, 02:16 AM
They'll put it down to a typo. Honestly.

I know. You feel like kicking yourself in the head. Don't.

Let me.

Please do. Thank you. That's what I love about you. You're thoughtful and tirelessly kind.

scarletpeaches
05-27-2010, 02:21 AM
I'm about to be nice, so...enjoy it while it lasts.

Kevlar, they will most likely - as in definitely - put it down to a typo. EVERYONE sends emails out with typos in them. Hell, I've had emails back from editors with my name misspelt and just shrugged it off. "Meh, they're busy, not paying attention, whatever."

Of course it's different when us peasants contact them, but even so - no-one's going to hunt you down and kill you for a typo in an email.

You'll worry anyway, so there's no point in me telling you not to. But this is not the end of the world. It's embarrassing, it's a mistake, we all make them.

I'd be willing to put money on some agents not even noticing the typo.

KTC
05-27-2010, 02:26 AM
Thank you very much. I appreciate it. (-:

scarletpeaches
05-27-2010, 02:26 AM
You and your crazy mixed-up backwards smiley.

mccardey
05-27-2010, 02:30 AM
You know what? I have a plan - how about we all deluge them with hundreds of p-less synoses and then if they do notice, they'll think it was THEM spelling it wrong for ALL THESE YEARS!! Oh, how embarassment!!!

We should do that. We should so do that. :)

or, you know - not....

Drachen Jager
05-27-2010, 02:41 AM
Or just get everyone on AW to post a badly written query the day before one of us posts a properly written serious one. They'll think it's gold after sifting through the crap!

;)

Chris P
05-27-2010, 02:49 AM
I once sent an email to my mother (yes, my MOTHER!) saying that my biological cock was ticking.

mccardey
05-27-2010, 02:54 AM
Ah crap, Chris - you made me spit coffee all over my keyboard....

Erin
05-27-2010, 04:57 AM
It happens, don't worry about it!

I had a typo in the word "romance" in the query that got me a contract on my epubbed book. I didn't even notice until a year later. I was still mortified, but glad the editor overlooked it.

Chris...OMG, that's hilarious!

Chumplet
05-27-2010, 05:09 AM
I sent a query to one of my dream agents with the wrong name in the salutation. Then I tweeted an apology.

She said, "What for?"

"I put the wrong name in."

"I never got it."

"What? I'll try again with the right name."

After several exchanges, she finally asked what address I was sending to. I said the agency site. "Oh, I don't get that one here, just my personal email."

Her assistant was getting all my crazy emails. She rejected me immediately. I was too embarrassed to try querying her again to her personal email. We just twitter along as usual. Maybe I'll try her with the next book if I don't get an agent for this one...

Wayne K
05-27-2010, 05:25 AM
Dude, you haven't heard about "Query for me memoir" :D

I got a full request, but an Arrrgh in the end.

Wayne K
05-27-2010, 05:27 AM
Someone told me they sent a query to Ethan Ellenberg, but called him Ellen Ethanberg.

Miss Plum
05-27-2010, 10:08 AM
I sent out an e-mail with the wrong agent's name at the head.

>DELETED!<
Me too. I then re-sent it with the names right. Never say I failed for lack of pathetic comeback bids.

I also copy-and-pasted my standard query letter into a new message and overlooked the fact that . . . it wasn't my standard query letter. It said "Per your submission guidelines, I have attached a synopsis and the first ten pages." In reality, those weren't their submission guidelines, and I hadn't attached anything.

As for the "synosis," don't worry. If they like what they read, one typo isn't going to outweigh their interest in your book.

madderblue
05-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Someone told me they sent a query to Ethan Ellenberg, but called him Ellen Ethanberg.

Happy Story: I queried Ethan, called him Ethen Ellanberg, but he somehow managed to overlook my incredible ineptitude and now he's my agent. Or maybe a kind intern fixed my error.

aruna
05-27-2010, 11:57 AM
I spelled an agent's name wrong. It was supposed to end in -man and and I wrote -mann . :e2paperba I also sent the wrong query to an agent, claiming she has interest in a genre she doesn't.:e2paperba
That was a few days ago but I've already written them off.

aruna
05-27-2010, 12:03 PM
OTOH I saw a typo in an agent's website the other day and it's really put me off querying her, even though she is ideally suited to the project. What to do?
http://www.crichton-associates.com/agency.htm

sheadakota
05-27-2010, 02:21 PM
I once sent an email to my mother (yes, my MOTHER!) saying that my biological cock was ticking.
I read this with one cup of coffee on board and thought;
What? Biological is spelled right:Shrug:

KTC
05-27-2010, 02:30 PM
You guys are all fanastic. er...fantasic. ARGH! Fantastic!

Thanks for making me feel better about being a boob.

Chris...I think I would severe all ties with my family if I made that error! Whoa! (-;

kaitie
05-27-2010, 02:46 PM

:ROFL:

Seriously.

nitaworm
05-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Hey those agents get over a 100 emails a day. Wait 6 months and query them again - they won't even know the difference *wink* chin up.

Phaeal
05-27-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm in the "their poor eyes are already so glazed from reading queries that they'll zip over the word without noticing it" school.

CaroGirl
05-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Everyone makes mistakes. Whaddya mean, I'm HUMAN?! A typo's just a typo and if they can't see past it, you don't wanna work with them anyway.

I once sent out queries that had my MC's name spelled differently than in the sample. I also felt like kicking myself and giving up. I didn't. You won't either.

You just have to shout "SHIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!" and move on.

Bufty
05-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Don't worry about it -it's a word they're so familiar with I doubt they'll even notice - or care.

Devil Ledbetter
05-27-2010, 07:44 PM
And then I use the laptop with firefox (which underlines spelling errors) and I see my mistake and then go back and check to see how long I've been making it. You broke my rule, which is never ever ever ever evah look at queries you've already sent out. Nothing good will ever come of it. And this goes quadruple if you suspect they contain a mistake.

Now you've caught the mistake. It will either net you some rejections, an agent who can't spell, or a forgiving agent who realizes you are human. Let's hope it's the latter. Now, take a deep breath and move forward.

Wayne K
05-27-2010, 07:46 PM
I gotten WTF?'s and LOL's back from agents I've queried.

Red-Green
05-27-2010, 08:35 PM
2 seconds after sending a particular query letter, I noticed a typo--a double article "an an MFA." Yeah, classy. Apparently the agent never noticed, because he eventually signed me.

Miss Plum
05-27-2010, 08:43 PM
I gotten WTF?'s and LOL's back from agents I've queried.
WTF, an agent who said WTF? Do tell.

Devil Ledbetter
05-27-2010, 10:01 PM
WTF, an agent who said WTF? Do tell.WTF would be awesome as part of a form rejection.

CaroGirl
05-27-2010, 10:02 PM
WTF would be awesome as part of a form rejection.
As long as that rejection had someone else's name on it.

kellion92
05-28-2010, 01:29 AM
Typos happen. Maybe it's an autoreject, maybe not.

Aruna, if you like the agent, query anyway (see above). Then after you hear from them (good or bad) you can tell them about the typo if it's still there. Probably won't be, if they have Google alerts.

Wayne K
05-28-2010, 04:49 PM
WTF, an agent who said WTF? Do tell.

I send very strange query letters sometimes.

That one was written under the influenza. I was sick and delirious :D

quickWit
05-28-2010, 04:55 PM
I sent out a few queries over the past couple of days with the word synosis in them!

looser.

Phaeal
05-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Looser than what?

quickWit
05-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Looser then what?

Let's keep the rhythm going, shall wee? :D

aruna
05-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Looser then the folks who don't make no sells

poetinahat
05-28-2010, 07:47 PM
I put the P back in. But what's a 'synosisp'?

KTC
05-28-2010, 07:53 PM
I put the P back in. But what's a 'synosisp'?

I don't know. But I know what a synapse lisp is. That's a fucked up brain connection. It causes people to forget to use the letter P.

poetinahat
05-28-2010, 08:05 PM
This thread is brought to you by the letter P.

quickWit
05-28-2010, 08:09 PM
can you name 3 cars that start with p?

*snicker*

Lauretta
05-28-2010, 08:14 PM
1. Porsche

KTC
05-28-2010, 08:16 PM

*snicker*

P-P-P-P-P-Paul's, P-P-P-P-Peter's and Puh-puh-puh-erry's.

KTC
05-28-2010, 08:17 PM
This thread is brought to you by the letter P.

And the colour MAROON.

quickWit
05-28-2010, 08:19 PM

1. Porsche

P-P-P-P-P-Paul's, P-P-P-P-Peter's and Puh-puh-puh-erry's.

Oh, I'm sorry. All those cars start with gas.

:roll:

Gas!

Instead of P!

Like, pee!

solid. comedy. gold.

KTC
05-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. All those cars start with gas.

Gas!

Instead of P!

Like, pee!

solid. comedy. gold.

PETRO, maroon.

Lauretta
05-28-2010, 08:22 PM

Gas!

Instead of P!