I Almost Got Stabbed and Met an Author Yesterday... How's Your Week Going?

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So... the whole Lifetime movie / crime of passion scenario where some maniac jealous ex comes after the new guy, I straight up lived that shit yesterday morning. Walking to my car to head to work, the ex hubby for a girl I'm casually seeing is lying in wait for me by my car. Launches a surprise attack, opens my car door brandishing a modest but nonetheless menacing looking black blade.

Note 1: You know how people say your life flashes before your eyes in potentially fatal circumstances? I can't say that happened. Nothing flashed before my eyes except the knife, which I promptly jumped out of the car and went for.

After some time struggling on the ground for the knife, then struggling on our feet for the knife, some of my neighbors started to take note of my string of loud profanities and began checking on the commotion. I separated myself from my attacker and he put the knife in his back pocket in the presence of witnesses, as well as taking off his gloves and putting them in his front pockets. Gloves. In late May in San Antonio. Yeah...

So after cussing at my attacker some more I went upstairs as my next door neighbor, another witness, works at a hospital and was able to help out with some small cuts on my fingers that I didn't even notice were bleeding until she pointed it out.

Note 2: Your fingers can bleed a surprising amount. Apparently I left a trail of blood halfway across the parking lot, at least according to the CSI guy (they actually call him "the CSI guy," I kept waiting for Caruso to show up put on his glasses and give me a witty one-liner... YEAHHHH!!!). My neighbor was really cool about me bleeding into her sink too. I need to get her a gift basket or something.

Of course I called the police and you know what? Cops are cool people. Well, maybe just Texas cops. Or just San Antonio cops. Or just the cops I met yesterday, it's a small sample, but they were all very cool people. Friendly, funny, but still about their business. Very impressive. I gave multiple statements, went downtown and gave a statement to homicide detectives, picked out my attacker in a photo lineup... and that's where I met author Joe McKinney!

I casually mentioned that I was an aspiring author to one of the officers, and joked that now I get to see an actual police office and have a knife-fight story to boot. Write what you know and all that jazz. So the officer tells me that one of their own is Joe McKinney, whose name I recognized as an author of zombie novel Dead City. I asked if I could meet with Mr. McKinney and they said sure, so I went and talked to Mr. McKinney for a few minutes about writing horror. He gave me some tips on getting published, gave me kudos on the stuff I've sold, told me about a convention in Austin I should attend called Armadillo Con. Really cool guy.

Note 3: The officers also gave me lots of tips on the best guns for self defense as well as the best bullets. I have one, but I think I need to upgrade and obviously carry that bad boy around. They also advised me of a fairly recent (3-years-old) Texas law that says you DON'T need to license to have a gun in your house, or in your car, and carrying between those two places is a-ok. And that, given the charge sought is probably attempted murder, if I see this cat again in my neighborhood before they catch him, it wouldn't be unwise of me to presume self-defense and act accordingly. So yeah...

...That was my day yesterday. Oh, and I spent several hours in the emergency room per the instructions of the first response EMS dudes who thought I'd need stitches, only to be sent home with some band aids and a tetanus shot. Freaking healthcare, am I right? Eh?

Also, thanks in advance to all the well-wishers. If it seems I'm not taking this seriously and joking too much, well, that's how I cope. Otherwise I'd be in total, rage-filled, hunt-a-mother****er-down mode.

Last edited:

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, wow. That is both truly frightening and kind of cool on many different levels.

Glad you're okay, and quit your bitchin' about that tetanus shot. Lockjaw isn't a fun.
:D

Reaction score
That is quite possibly the coolest thing I've ever heard.

You've got a three-book deal and movie option right there.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, wow. That is both truly frightening and kind of cool on many different levels.

Glad you're okay, and quit your bitchin' about that tetanus shot. Lockjaw isn't a fun.

Ha. I know. I didn't want the OP to be ridiculously long but I have about a thousand funny / interesting little side-stories from yesterday. Because I visibly winced when the EMS dudes brought up the tetanus shots, and the officers were like, "Man, you just wrestled a guy for a knife and you're worried about a little needle?" What can I say, I hate needles.

Then the CSI guy told me that with his job he obviously sees a lot of horrifying carnage but it doesn't really bother him. But he can watch any of those surgical shows on the Discovery channel. That grosses him out. Ha.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. My. GAWD! :eek:

I'm so glad you're okay, man. Holy moly.

I feel sorta weird saying that it's cool that you got to meet Joe McKinney, but it *is*. Wow. Totally surreal.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Glad to hear you're OK. I'd still be on the toilet shaking, but that's just me.

Anything happen between the police and the ex? Or is that for Book II in the series?

-Derek

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
you're Batman.

totally!

Ha. I know. I didn't want the OP to be ridiculously long but I have about a thousand funny / interesting little side-stories from yesterday. Because I visibly winced when the EMS dudes brought up the tetanus shots, and the officers were like, "Man, you just wrestled a guy for a knife and you're worried about a little needle?" What can I say, I hate needles.

i take it back.

*gives jcomp quickwit's sundress*

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That makes me go like this :Jaw:

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're OK. I'd still be on the toilet shaking, but that's just me.

Anything happen between the police and the ex? Or is that for Book II in the series?

-Derek

He took off after my neighbors got around him. The police are out looking for him, and apparently one of my neighbors listens to the police blotters and at some point last night they thought they had a location on the guy, but I haven't heard anything from the detectives yet.

This is also a fairly decent lesson in being cordial to your neighbors whenever possible. I'm not especially close to any of them, but I try to say hi and good morning and all that jazz. Not that I think they wouldn't have helped if I was a rude guy to them on a regular basis, but them knowing me a bit and knowing I'm a pretty friendly, easy-going guy made it easy for them to recognize that I was not the attacker, which my desperate assailant tried to allege at one point when I had him pushed back against a car.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
First, that is one of those totally bizarre days where you go home in a daze and just wonder WTF.

Second, I'm glad you're okay.

Then the CSI guy told me that with his job he obviously sees a lot of horrifying carnage but it doesn't really bother him. But he can watch any of those surgical shows on the Discovery channel. That grosses him out. Ha.

Third, I am soooo the CSI guy. Surgery shows squick me out in a major way. Stick me in front of carnage in real life, and I'm cool as a cucumber.

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score
Dude, wow. Glad you're okay.

And you're awesome.

129119444244934737.jpg

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Wow. I don't know what to say. Very cool that you got to meet an author...and chat with them.

I don't know how I feel about you fighting your attacker. It's scary to think about. You could be dead right now. But you're not...and for that we're all thankful. I have mixed feelings about confronting attackers...way to stop him, though. And I'm glad you didn't get more hurt than you did. Yes...you will buy your neighbour a lovely thank you gift.

Wow. Glad to hear you're okay after the ordeal.

K

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Sorry...I just read my post. I sound like a dad. I didn't mean to scold you for looking after yourself. Just glad that it worked out the way it did.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry...I just read my post. I sound like a dad. I didn't mean to scold you for looking after yourself. Just glad that it worked out the way it did.

Nah, I understand. Believe me I've heard it from a couple of friends already. It wasn't really much of a conscious decision. My initial line of thought once he got the door open was more along the lines of "Get out of the car! You're in a confined space where you can't defend yourself! He has the advantage!" Then about halfway through the car I just went for the knife and was running on auto-pilot from there. If there had been a safer option that allowed an avoidance of confrontation I would have definitely gone for that.

It was strange. It still is. I've felt fear plenty of times before, but this was something else I can hardly even describe. Just pure, decidedly unpleasant intensity. Adrenaline or whatever, not sure. The only time I got momentarily worried was at one point on the ground when I lost sight of the knife. Then I relocated it and that momentary pang of nervousness was gone, replaced by that weird intensity.

I definitely don't mean to make it sound terribly brave. It was just survival instinct mostly. I'm just glad I didn't freeze up.

Last edited:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I will echo the well wishes of the others and add this. I'm like you, I would fight anyone tooth and nail in any attempt to harm me like that. It's always a better thing to at least treat your neighbors with respect as you never know......

Kados on the meeting with the writer. You are double blessed that you even remember his name.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that sucks. Nothing you do from now on will seem exciting by comparison. The rest of us still have that knife attack to look forward to. :D

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Take care of yourself, J. This is a deadly serious issue and one that could play hell with your personal comfort. I hope you have some good friends who can provide support if you get to worrying too much. And I hope the woman is safe as well.