Question about versions of the Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Hi --

My character comes from Lenox, Massachusetts and her father is a Presbyterian minister. What version of the Bible would the father use c. 1895 - 1910? There's a Bible quote (New Testament) I want to use, but I need to ensure I use the correct wording.

Thanks!

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I second that. King James was the version of that era for Protestants (which Presbyterian would fall under).

Last edited:

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
This is probably the only biblical question I'll ever be able to answer.

My husband's great great great uncle was an itinerant Protestant preacher during that time period, and my mother in law has his bible. it's a huge, leather bound KJV.

Zonk

Registered
Reaction score
Presbyterians are NOT Pentecostals...they are in the Reformed tradition, but follow Zwingli and Calvin rather than Luther.

I would agree, however, that a minister such as yours would probably use King Jimmy; but since the RSV was published in 1885 or so and the ASV in 1901, I would check with the biggest Prebyterian group in Massachusetts to see if they have anything to say about their historical practices. It may be that Presbyterians accepted the RSV very quickly in certain areas, or not (I have no idea, just thinking out loud) and it would be nice to nail it if the churches in your area were one of the few that did, it would lend verisimilitude to your work:Clap:

Curious as to which verse you're quoting, too :)

:D:D:D

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Below is another link that actually lists some of the differences in the various bibles. Don't know if it will help or not, but might save some serious research time. Have to scroll way down the page to get to the chart that shows differences.

http://www.biblelife.org/word.htm

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Zonk said:
Presbyterians are NOT Pentecostals...they are in the Reformed tradition, but follow Zwingli and Calvin rather than Luther.

I would agree, however, that a minister such as yours would probably use King Jimmy; but since the RSV was published in 1885 or so and the ASV in 1901, I would check with the biggest Prebyterian group in Massachusetts to see if they have anything to say about their historical practices. It may be that Presbyterians accepted the RSV very quickly in certain areas, or not (I have no idea, just thinking out loud) and it would be nice to nail it if the churches in your area were one of the few that did, it would lend verisimilitude to your work:Clap:

Curious as to which verse you're quoting, too :)

I'm quoting Corinthians (sp?) concerning the question of marrying or not -- and what to do if one is already married to a non-believer.

Thanks, everyone, for all your help!

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Zonk said:

Oops, I read that post too quickly! Sorry...I corrected my post to say 'Presbyterian'...

Status
Not open for further replies.