Libbie's new G&A thread, now with 50% more protein!

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Ooookay. So when last I started a thread in G&A, I'd found a fantabulous agent and my book had gone on submission to major publishers.

Nobody has decided to buy it yet, but I did recently get a very complimentary rejection from NAL, stating that they were passing on my historical novel because although they liked my writing style and really enjoyed certain elements of the book, they weren't feeling hot on all of it. Fair enough! They also invited my agent to send them any other novels I'd written. Wow! Very hopeful indeed!

Alas, I have no other novels completed, but my agent passed along to the editor that I do have a synopsis and about 20K words of another historical novel. I didn't expect they'd be interested, seeing as how I am a new novelist with no major publishing credits of any kind, and certainly no novels sold (yet). Imagine my surprise when the editor said she wants to read the partial manuscript and the synopsis! Wahoo!!

So tomorrow I'll be frantically polishing up what I've got and getting it ready to send over. I'm being realistic about this -- it's rare that new novelists get requests for incomplete novels at all, and even more rare that they SELL incomplete novels. I'm not expecting I'll break the mold, but this is a really exciting request because it's so unusual, and it's making me feel great about my prospects.

This right here is just one of a zillion reasons why I believe writers who want to start a career in novels should get a good agent. The book sure isn't sold yet, and there is certainly no guarantee that the partial manuscript will sell to NAL -- but having an agent has opened a door for me and my partially written historical novel that definitely wouldn't have budged otherwise.

So, good luck to all of you out there hunting for agents! Stay positive and be sure to pick a good one. :) It might lead to some cool tales for you, too!

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
W00t! Libbie!
That's a serious endorsement of your writing.:hooray:

I hope something good comes of it!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like your agent hit the right editor. Chemistry, baby.

CGs and good luck on the partial!

(Love the new avatar, btw.)

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
(ooh, thanks re: the avatar. I drew it myself. I've been trying to get better at portraits and skin tones, but I am lazy about my visual art, so I decided to paint my friends as Fremen, because I am a huge nerd. Nerdy things motivate me. Anyway, this is my self-portrait, Libbie With Spice. Ha ha.)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice! Keep us posted on what happens!

Reaction score
I would hate you, but it's thoroughly deserved, so I can't.

DAMN YOU for making me respect your work ethic!