*sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still fooling around in the query game to find an agent. I know I need to send out more, but since the number of agents who look for fantasy is kind of growing slim (at least according to AgentQuery and QueryTracker), I want to wait until I've gotten responses from ALL of the first batch. The problem is that I haven't gotten a rejection in almost a month now, which has me worried. I have about 5 queries still out, some all the way back to March.

Anyway... This is more of a question thread.

1. Is it okay to bump agents for general queries? (If so, after what period of time is appropriate?)
2. Should I wait until I hear from these last five before I start sending more queries out, to know if/how I need to adjust my query letter again?
3. Assuming the worst and no agent is found, what are the next steps?

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Answers based on my experience and the collective wisdom of AW:

1. Is it okay to bump agents for general queries? (If so, after what period of time is appropriate?)

No. If they have't responded in 3 months, assume they're not interested. Write them off and move on.

2. Should I wait until I hear from these last five before I start sending more queries out, to know if/how I need to adjust my query letter again?

No. If you had form Rs only, then there's no way of knowing if it's your query, your first chapter (assuming some of the agents wanted it with the Q), or anything else. This also assumes you had your Q checked over by other writers/SYW.

3. Assuming the worst and no agent is found, what are the next steps?

Send out more, in batches of 5-10. Also, while Query Tracker is very good, but it doesn't list everyone. I found my agent through an ongoing search of AW's BR&BC forum. I went back at least 20 pages.

Never give up!

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Regarding 2, I did, and it kind of fizzled, so I had to polish it by myself based on minimal (helpful) replies.

Thanks.

I'll start scrounging around here.

Leanan-Sidhe

leaving trails of fairy dust
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding Lily's wise answers. :) Plenty of agents don't respond unless they're interested, so you could potentially be waiting forever.

Another resource you might want to check out (if you haven't already) is the SF/F forum's own compiled list of agents thread. (Though some of the info is a little old, so of course do your own research once you find a new name.)

And if I may add to question 3, the next step is to write a new book! Even if the worst happens with this one, you could find a home for it later after an agent picks up your next novel.

Good luck, and don't give up! :e2cheer:

trisha

Closet Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Anyway... This is more of a question thread.

1. Is it okay to bump agents for general queries? (If so, after what period of time is appropriate?) Totally agree with the previous posters -- I wouldn't nudge a agent about a query. If they haven't responded in 3 months I'd consider them not interested. That said I did recieve a request for a full about 7 months after I queried. Needless to say, I wrote them off as I was already happily agented. :)

I wouldn't. I'd go ahead and send out a new batch. I would also think about revising your query. I hate to think that it is solely your query that is getting you rejected when your ms has merit. Do you send sample pages with your query? I always sent the first ten pages of my ms when I queried (unless their guidelines tell you explicitly not to) That way they got a feel for my writing. Interestingly, all but 2 of my ms requests came from queries with sample pages attached.

3. Assuming the worst and no agent is found, what are the next steps?[/QUOTE]Keep trying. It only takes one yes!

Kilawher

Chronic Semicolon Overuser
Registered
Reaction score

I disagree with previous posters on this one. Of course, if the agent says they don't respond unless interested then don't resend, but if the agent is known for responding you might be caught in a spam filter or something. I queried an agent back in March (who's known for responding quickly) and he didn't respond for a few months so I sent it again and got a full request that day :)

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I disagree with previous posters on this one. Of course, if the agent says they don't respond unless interested then don't resend, but if the agent is known for responding you might be caught in a spam filter or something. I queried an agent back in March (who's known for responding quickly) and he didn't respond for a few months so I sent it again and got a full request that day :)

This was more what my question was based on. I don't know if this changes anything or not. When the agency/agent says "We/I generally respond within [x amount of time] regardless of whether or not we're/I'm interested", and you pass that time without hearing anything.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
since the number of agents who look for fantasy is kind of growing slim (at least according to AgentQuery and QueryTracker)

133 agents on Query Tracker in North America is slim pickings?

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
*raises eyebrow*

I got some replies that were helpful. The replies I got were incredibly helpful. I didn't mean to be offensive or imply otherwise. But it didn't entirely "pass" QLH. That's what I mean. The minimal meant I didn't get very many, but the helpful meant they were helpful. It just didn't pass QLH because it fizzled. Maybe I should post it again.

A lot of people for fantasy want urban fantasy, which I don't have ready. Once I find all the "definite possible interests" I can, I'll move onto the "maybe possible interest" section. I'm running slim in the stack of agents that I THINK will fit. I could be wrong as it does only take one.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I was mostly being tongue in cheek :D

However, from what I remember of your query, it was almost there. Maybe needs a more distinct voice? - the voice of the POV character and details of what is very very different about this fantasy as opposed to the other 200 they've seen this week..

And plenty of agents want non-urban fantasy. It's just a matter of plugging away.

Last edited:

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I was mostly being tongue in cheek :D

However, from what I remember of your query, it was almost there. Maybe needs a more distinct voice? - the voice of the POV character and details of what is very very different about this fantasy as opposed to the other 200 they've seen this week..

And plenty of agents want non-urban fantasy. It's just a matter of plugging away.

Sorry. I haven't been at this forum long enough to learn who uses the sarcasm a lot, and all that.

And yeah. I'll probably take a look at it again before I send it off for this next round.

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
Just offering my services. I sent my query for a non-urban fantasy through QLH with six different revisions. I feel pretty good about it right now, even though it's just been rejected so far. It took me a long time to convince myself to return the favor and go over to QLH and do a little critting myself. I finally worked up the courage and crit'd a couple over there, but I didn't stick around long. I hope to spend more time there.

But, if I miss yours again, I would be willing to look at it if you PM'd or emailed it to me. Just offering.

Status
Not open for further replies.