PDA

View Full Version : Broken ribs?

Soothing Snow
05-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Has anyone here ever broken their ribs? How did it feel? Did it hurt a lot or was it numb enough that you didn't feel it until much later? Did it bruise the skin? Could you feel where the broken ribs were? How long was it until you healed? Could you feel/hear the ribs break?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Please tell me anything else of your experience with breaking your ribs or even if you just fractured them a bit. Thanks!

firedrake
05-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Has anyone here ever broken their ribs? How did it feel? Did it hurt a lot or was it numb enough that you didn't feel it until much later? Did it bruise the skin? Could you feel where the broken ribs were? How long was it until you healed? Could you feel/hear the ribs break?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Please tell me anything else of your experience with breaking your ribs or even if you just fractured them a bit. Thanks!

I broke my 5th and 6th rib on my right hand side when a horse stepped on me. It hurt like buggery...the whole area. My boob liked a bruised mango. I could barely lift my right arm and couldn't use a tin opener or operate a gear-shift car for six weeks. It hurt when I coughed or laughed.

I didn't hear them break.

The Doctor told me they would take 6 weeks to heal. Pretty much 6 weeks to the day the pain just stopped.

Cyia
05-25-2010, 11:26 PM
I didn't, but my mom did. She busted hers in a car wreck, then again in a fall.

It bruises. It's hard to breathe, but the doctors want you to breathe deep to keep pneumonia from setting in. They don't wrap ribs anymore for that reason, it restricts the air flow too much. She couldn't raise her arm very high on the side that was broken, couldn't bend or lift.

augusto
05-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Sneezing is the worst. Each one is like the twisting of a knife.

Summonere
05-26-2010, 02:32 AM
Broke a rib on the front, left side, when I walked into a kick. Didnít hurt much when it happened, but I was sore for weeks afterward. Coughing, sneezing, twisting, turning, breathing Ö those sorts of things. I could tell where the break was because thatís where the pain was. Now, I can tell where the break was because of the lump under the skin. I didnít hear anything break when the rib went, nor when the arm broke, either, because there was a lot of other sound during the first and a lot of crashing and disorientation during the second.

I sure as heck heard my toe break when it cracked, though, and thatís probably because it was very dark and quiet when I stubbed it into a stool.

But back to broken ribs. There was a thread not too long ago about this over here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4730073#post4730073)that you may find informative.

pdr
05-26-2010, 03:09 AM
Fall across a box during gymnastics acrobatics practise. Hurt to breath, speak, laugh, sneeze or talk. Difficult to walk briskly, move arms, best just to be still.

The pain is constant as firedrake says then you wake up and it's gone, I think eight weeks in my case but cannot remember accurately, may have been six weeks.

No noise apart from the body sound hitting the box, just instant pain.

Comfrey compresses did help but the Drs insisted they were NOT used.

sheadakota
05-26-2010, 04:21 AM
I grappled with a guy about three three times my wieght- he fell on my ribs and heard them go poppoppop and then felt the pain- couldn't breath- and it hurt like a B for at least six weeks- couldn't take a deep breath, sneezing coughing, laughing, was sheer torture-

jeseymour
05-26-2010, 04:44 AM
We did this in March. :)

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4730231&highlight=broken+ribs#post4730231

You might find some useful answers there.

shaldna
05-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Has anyone here ever broken their ribs?

Twice

How did it feel?

Like i was dying. I couldn't breathe. Couldn't move. It felt like my chest was being crushed. The second time I did it was in a horse riding accident and I punctured a lung. There are no words to describe that.

Did it hurt a lot or was it numb enough that you didn't feel it until much later?

Numb. Hahaha. No.

Did it bruise the skin?

A horse landed ontop of me, so yes. I was very bruised. It depends on how you got the injury. Blunt force will usually leave a bruise.

Could you feel where the broken ribs were?

Yes

How long was it until you healed?

It was about six weeks before I could sleep properly again, and all in all it was about three months before they were 'healed'. Although it took alot longer than that before they stopped hurting fully.

Could you feel/hear the ribs break?

Oh yes.

Tsu Dho Nimh
05-26-2010, 04:11 PM
You can get a yes or no answer to all the questions, depending on the MOI (mechanism of injury). What does your plot REQUIRE? What are you trying to make happen? What is the setting?

Give me that and I'll give you an MOI that can make it happen.