PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Day in New York City

kaitie
05-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Hiya fellas. I was just writing and wanted to describe what the city was like on Christmas. I based it around Tokyo during Obon (big Japanese holiday where everyone travels), but obviously New York is it's own thing.

My current description is basically showing it as quietening down. Lots of people going home to visit family, streets not so packed, just more a sense of calmness over the city. Any truth to that? Or is it basically just like any other day?

Noah Body
05-25-2010, 04:19 PM
It's definitely quieter, and that's probably because the MTA is running on a holiday schedule. :D

mtrenteseau
05-25-2010, 06:42 PM
My third book takes place around Christmas in New York, and I've been putting a lot of thought into it. (I've only written about twenty pages so far.)

Offices and most retail will be closed. Churches will be crowded, and some of the hotels will be doing big holiday meals. The buffet at the Waldorf-Astoria comes to mind. New York apartments are tiny and their kitchens are miniscule, so most people entertaining relatives would have to take them out somewhere.

And of course, people staying in New York in hotels through the holidays have to have somewhere to eat, so there will be some restaurants open besides the ones in the hotels.

There will be a few small grocery stores open, and of course hospitals. I don't know if Broadway theaters close on Christmas Day. Movie theaters will also be packed, because there are often big movies that open that day and most people have the day off.

Bing Z
05-25-2010, 07:18 PM
I think it depends. Near Wall Street, obviously very calm and quiet. Towards Times Square, Broadway, somehow crowded. Near Rockefeller Center, season's mood, I guess. Oh, the hour, too. At 9 am, stark contrast to business days. After lunch time, people's gotten over with hangover and start their activities. Expect crowds near MSG if the Knicks are playing home game on that day. Same thing if Lady Gaga has a sold-out performance there.

Basically, because it's NYC, I think you can get away with anything but a busy financial district on Christmas Day. If quietness is a must for wherever you portray, you can give the city 18 inches of snow on Christmas Eve.

kaitie
05-26-2010, 08:45 AM
I actually wondered about how much would be closed. Obviously some places will be, and I imagine big businesses would be. But what about smaller businesses and restaurants and stuff? I also know there's a large non-Christian population as well, and where I'm from we always have certain businesses open because of that. I'm wanting my character to meet someone in public but to have it basically be super quiet because of the holiday, but open.

In my last story I just blew a blizzard through the city. ;)

Thanks guys.

mtrenteseau
05-27-2010, 01:00 AM
I'd say that somewhere in Manhattan there's a diner owned by an old Greek couple - Mama runs the cash register, Sonny manages the kitchen, Grandkids bus the tables. (Papa schmoozes and makes everyone feel welcome). It will be open on Christmas Day for all the people who don't have anywhere else to go. They'll go to church in the morning and open at noon.

Bing Z
05-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Like what mtrenteseau suggests.

There is a noticeable population of Indian Indians in the city. They work hard, many not Christians, and they often run small businesses--newsstands, cafe, groceries... I'll bet ten bucks many of them will open on Christmas Day, even in quieter neighborhoods. Make it in the morning and it will be super quiet.

Oh yeah, Chinese restaurant in quiet neighborhoods, quiet streets. Don't send your chars to popular ones like Silver Pond Restaurant in Queens. That one is super busy on all holidays.

Another possibility: There is a boutique gym called Equinox that has a number of gyms & spas in NYC. One location is on Wall Street. According to it's web page, it opens daily. (Wonders who goes there on Christmas Day.) You can create a similar entity and if you're serious about reality, you can call them for further info. Problem with this setting is both parties need to be members, or at least have guest passes arranged beforehand, or one of them is a membership sales.

I have just created an independent gym in SF and I've made it open on Thanksgiving (how moronic and cruel!:tongue)

mtrenteseau
05-28-2010, 06:07 AM
There is a noticeable population of Indian Indians in the city. They work hard, many not Christians, and they often run small businesses--newsstands, cafe, groceries... I'll bet ten bucks many of them will open on Christmas Day, even in quieter neighborhoods. Make it in the morning and it will be super quiet.

And there's a kid from Guatemala or El Salvador who's there to sweep up or make deliveries (in New York, you can get anything delivered), and he's working on Christmas because his mother is a nurse and his dad is a cop and he's trying to make a few extra bucks to pay for a special Christmas gift for his younger sibling who's in poor health.

Hmm... I need to use that...

I have just created an independent gym in SF and I've made it open on Thanksgiving (how moronic and cruel!:tongue)

This reminded me of something else that's always open on Christmas - gay bars. It's probably not as bad anymore, but used to be they'd be packed on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Gay men who wouldn't be going to see family because the family didn't want them, or at best their "bar friends" were more of a supportive family to them than the people they were actually related to.

WendyNYC
05-28-2010, 06:18 AM
I'm usually out of town on Christmas, but I've been here a few times with relatives in town. It's quiet. Most shops and businesses are closed and shuttered, not all. We had dinner in my apartment, grocery stores were all closed. Maybe a bodega or two would be open.

There are quite a few people who aren't Christian who celebrate a secular version of Christmas, too, so don't assume it's only a portion of the population taking a day off.

ETA: It's also, obviously, winter break for school, so a ton of people take their vacation over Christmas, Christian or not.

I'm on the UES if that's helpful--very residential.

mccardey
05-28-2010, 06:23 AM
I was there over Christmas a year or so ago and we just hung with the Jews - movies were open, some great comedy was happening (much of it Jews-at-Christmas themed) and the streets were still alive, if not quite as packed as usual.

You know who was there? The pretzel carts - also the guys collecting coins. Can't remember if halftix was open or not....

If you don't mind my mentioning it, it was BLOODY COLD!! (I say that as someone whose usual Christmas is a midsummer affair Down Under....)

I'm still in lurve with New York, though :)