New here

pacey1800

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Chris, and I'm an aspiring writer, who has tried all kinds of writing over the years, from screenplays to short stories. However, I've also tried poetry as well. I'm kinda new to poetry even though I've done it before, but I've never really stuck with it, and never really had a chance to focus on it, because I've been so busy attempting to write in other forms. I've been writing some poems that I posted on fictionpress.com about the Olympics, and I've tried submitting them to some publications that take previously published poetry.

I do have some questions though since I'm a newbie, and while I'd like to learn about the various forms of poetry, I admit that I hardly ever read poetry, usually because I admit that most of the time I'm not quite sure what's being said or implied. What I'd like to know is this, and forgive me if this sounds silly, but is it necessary for one to read poetry every day, or to have a favorite poet or poets, in order for one to become a good poet? Is it necessary to try to analyze what is being said or implied in a particular given poem, to look at it just critically? I admit that I don't have a particular favorite poet, I know that I am probably going to be studying poetry in college soon, but is it essential to have a knowledge of particular authors or the overall history of poetry to be a good writer of poetry? Forgive me if this sounds odd, but I'm just curious. I'd love to know what you think. Thanks.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
If you want to learn *anything* that isn't kinetic, you have to read. Why would poetry be any different?

You don't need to read it every day. But how would you know what's been done, unless you've already seen it? How would know what can be achieved, until you see what has already been?

Analyzing poetry is -- to me -- worthless, unless you're an English major. What you need to do, though, is find a poem that moves you, and then try to figure out why it moves you. Is it the language? Is it the way the poem pulls you in and plays with your heart? Until you analyze those whys, you're just guessing, which means your poetry might not be as powerful as it could be.

No science fiction writer has to have a favorite Sci Fi writer. But to ignore the people who've paved the way, or had the greatest success is foolhardy: it goes against the "work smarter, not harder" credo. See how they succeeded, why they succeeded. Find the elements of their work that resonate with your own style and anayze the whys.

Or don't. Poetry is either written for yourself, or for other people. The poetry you write for yourself need never be great at all. It's just therapeutic.

pacey1800

Registered
Reaction score
I certainly do not mean to ignore anyone who has come before me, or to discount their work. I guess what I meant to ask is if anyone necessarily has to be something of an "expert" on poetry. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was trying to discount others' work in any way, or if my questions didn't make sense. To be honest, I see writing as something that would be a career for me, but I'm not sure exactly what form of writing I would be most comfortable with.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Copywriter - A copywriter is the individual who creates the text for advertisements, promotional brochures and other public relations outlets. A copywriter is the person who writes the words for the advertisements you find in magazines and newspapers. Copywriters are also the people who write the text for television commercials and radio ads.

Journalist - Newspaper journalists research and write stories for publication in local, regional and national press. Increasingly, they are also expected to write ‘platform neutral’ pieces, which will appear in print, online and in broadcast form.

Songwriter - Most songwriters learn the various skills of the craft through a combination of self-study, listening to and analyzing other composer's work and reading material. In a sense, songwriting can be said to be a lifelong craft and many songwriters started from an early age and may continue to study the discipline throughout their careers.

Writer - Writers are involved in the creation and/or development of all types of creative writing. This covers a number of wide and varied forms including - but by no means limited to - poetry, prose (including fiction, non-fiction and children’s literature), and material for the theatre, screen and radio (such as comedy/soap opera scripts, drama productions and documentaries). Writers may also create the content for websites or write articles for magazines or newspapers.

Authors - Fiction writers compose short stories, plays, and novels using imaginary characters and events. Ernest Hemingway, Toni Morrison, J. K. Rowling, Sandra Cisneros, Steven King, and John Grisham are noted fiction writers. Writers generally work alone. They may write on assignment for a specific publication or complete a story, play, or book and submit it to a publisher for possible purchase.

Technical authors communicate technical messages to a specific audience at levels the user can fully understand. This involves interpreting the technology then designing and writing documentation. The information is often presented through an instruction manual, leaflet, CD-rom or online help. Other media may also be used, for example, video, PowerPoint or presentations.

Poet - Writes narrative, dramatic, or lyric poetry for magazines, books, and other publications: Chooses subject matter and suitable form to express personal feeling and individual experience, or to narrate story or event. {This was an ad in the middle of the definition; I felt compelled to keep it in!}Free Personality Test May write doggerel or other type verse.

Good Luck!

Kerlee

It's all a big misunderstanding...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Chris ;-D

It sounds like you enjoy learning so I imagine you will find out more as you go along.
just keep asking questions ;-D

Good Luck with it all