PDA

View Full Version : A question about genre

iwannabepublished
05-25-2010, 02:50 AM
I am always careful to read what an agent is interested in representing. I also attempt to only query agents that state that they are at least 'willing' to work with new authors. I believe my manuscript in an action/adventure. However, some have told me it can also be considered a thriller. I would basically describe by novel as one about a female Indiana Jones type character with a little bit of Dan Brown's DVC thrown in. My first question is what is an agent's definition of each of these genres. Second, without reading my story but having the above thumbnail, can I query those agents seeking thrillers but not action/adventure and just change my query to reflect the different genre?

suki
05-25-2010, 02:52 AM
I am always careful to read what an agent is interested in representing. I also attempt to only query agents that state that they are at least 'willing' to work with new authors. I believe my manuscript in an action/adventure. However, some have told me it can also be considered a thriller. I would basically describe by novel as one about a female Indiana Jones type character with a little bit of Dan Brown's DVC thrown in. My first question is what is an agent's definition of each of these genres. Second, without reading my story but having the above thumbnail, can I query those agents seeking thrillers but not action/adventure and just change my query to reflect the different genre?

If you are unsure whether it is more of a thriller or an action/adventure, I'd focus first on agents who rep both of those genres, and then query agents who rep either of those genres, using the genre the agent reps in the query.

There's no exact science to querying. So, if you are truly unsure of genre, query with both possible genres in mind.

~suki