PDA

View Full Version : Blake Friedmann (UK literary agency) charity auction!

Old Hack
05-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Blake Friedmann (http://www.blakefriedmann.co.uk/), one of the UK's top literary agencies, is having a charity auction! (http://www.blakefriedmann.co.uk/auction/)

The agents of Blake Friedmann are offering feedback on a partial manuscript with synopsis, or a script with synopsis. Bidders will be vying for the opportunity to get feedback from their choice of one of six of our agents.

Carole Blake's book, From Pitch to Publication (now in its eleventh printing) is a fabulous read; all the agents at Blake Friedmann are professional and perceptive. Who ever wins these auctions is going to get some seriously good feedback on their work. Really. I'm considering bidding myself.

seun
05-23-2010, 05:46 PM
This makes me a little uncomfortable if I'm honest. I can see a lot of writers who aren't ready to submit seeing it as way of getting a submission in. They spend their money and OK, the charity gets it, but it's not going to do anything for their writing.

Old Hack
05-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Whether or not it'll do anything for their writing depends on how they use the feedback they're given, surely?

seun
05-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Only if their bid wins. If not, they've subbed a piece that potentially isn't ready for it.

Siddharta
05-24-2010, 01:42 PM
The standard form rejection from Blake Friedmann includes the following:

"If you haven’t already seen Carole Blake’s book entitled FROM PITCH TO PUBLICATION (published by Macmillan - £14.99), which contains information on how to present your work to agents and publishers, you might be interested in obtaining a copy. If you would like to buy a copy from us for £12 (including postage and packing, UK only – add postage for outside the UK), please send us a cheque made payable to Blake Friedmann Literary Agency."

Fair enough it may be a good book, but I thought it a little inappropriate to pitch it in all their rejection letters.

shaldna
05-24-2010, 03:46 PM
The standard form rejection from Blake Friedmann includes the following:

"If you haven’t already seen Carole Blake’s book entitled FROM PITCH TO PUBLICATION (published by Macmillan - £14.99), which contains information on how to present your work to agents and publishers, you might be interested in obtaining a copy. If you would like to buy a copy from us for £12 (including postage and packing, UK only – add postage for outside the UK), please send us a cheque made payable to Blake Friedmann Literary Agency."

Fair enough it may be a good book, but I thought it a little inappropriate to pitch it in all their rejection letters.

Wow. I've never queried them, but that's funny.

Especially as I bought my copy from Bargain books for £1

seun
05-24-2010, 04:25 PM
I got the same suggestion for Carol Blake's book when they rejected me about a year ago. It didn't strike me as dodgy but I can see how it could be taken as that.

Old Hack
05-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Only if their bid wins. If not, they've subbed a piece that potentially isn't ready for it.

But if their bid doesn't win, then they won't have to pay anything, so where's the problem?

seun
05-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Ah, I see. Misread the stuff on their website. But even so, effectively paying for a sub makes me uncomfortable. I know it's for charity, but it still makes me a little uneasy.

Mr. Anonymous
05-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Ah, I see. Misread the stuff on their website. But even so, effectively paying for a sub makes me uncomfortable. I know it's for charity, but it still makes me a little uneasy.

Incidentally, from what I understand (glanced briefly, could be mistaken), you're not paying for the sub so much as for the critique, since the normal submissions route is to send the first 3 chapters, synopsis, etc. So its not like the author is paying to get around the query.

Old Hack
05-24-2010, 11:46 PM
These aren't submissions at all: it's just an opportunity to get some feedback on your work from one of the UK's top literary agencies. Which I think is rather a good deal.

shaldna
05-25-2010, 11:49 AM
These aren't submissions at all: it's just an opportunity to get some feedback on your work from one of the UK's top literary agencies. Which I think is rather a good deal.

Me too. Plus, it's for charity.

Terie
05-25-2010, 12:07 PM
It's not at all uncommon for agents and editors to donate critiques for charity. I've seen quite a few charity auctions lately (particularly for seriously ill US authors needing help with medical expenses) with agents and editors donating critiques. It's just like anyone donating any other skill they happen to have.