Status
Not open for further replies.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To whom it may concern (or whomever can answer the flippin' question),

I have noticed recently I have to log-in after ten minutes or less of inactivity. Inactivity meaning, I am posting something and before I can preview or post it, I am kicked off and must log-in again.

Sometimes the system allows me to proceed and retrieves my post and sometimes it doesn't. :e2cry:

Is there a setting I can or need to change or is this something new? :Huh:

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
this happens to me too and I can't figure out why...sometimes a post or a PM will get lost because I haven't submitted it quickly enough and I get booted out of the system...extremely frustrating

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Could be ISP/network time-outs rather than AW time-outs!

Sorry, I don't know why you would be logged out. Could you post your platform (Windows XP or whatever you're using) and your browser details please? When you sign in, do you allow your browser to remember your AW password and/or tick the Remember me? box?

Hopefully someone with more tech know-how will happen along, but as general advice--

Before you click the Preview Post or Submit Reply buttons, always always always copy whatever you've written to the system clipboard, so that if you experience a time-out and a blank editor window you can recover.

In Windows, just hit Ctrl-A to highlight all text, then Ctrl-C to copy this to the clipboard.

If you're met with a blank editor window and/or time out errors after a screen refresh, you can use Ctrl-V (paste) to get your words back.

-Derek

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's exactly 20 minutes of inactivity for me and then it logs me off.

I don't have any PWs stored because it's my laptop and if it were to get stolen I don't want those saved.

oh, I use Firefox and that's all I know...

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
By PWs do you mean passwords? We're talking about clearing cookies, which are separate from passwords.

Also, is "keep me logged in" checked when you log in?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds more like a ISP issue than an AW issue.

Like Shadow Ferret, I leave my AW link open all day, (when I am on), and come back and check it frequently without having to log back in on either of my computers, desk top or lap top...

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
This exact same thing started for me a few weeks ago. It's even kicked me off when I click on another web page, than come back, I'm logged off. Yesterday, I went through the Control Panel to find out if the "keep me logged" in unchecked, but couldn't find it.

I have a Mac and am using Firefox. Nice (?) to know I'm not the only one. I'll keep floating around checking things to see if I can figure it out.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By PWs do you mean passwords? We're talking about clearing cookies, which are separate from passwords.

Also, is "keep me logged in" checked when you log in?
yes, by PWs I mean passwords.

I'm not complaining, just offering what I know (or thought I knew, lol!)

(I do not have the "keep me logged in" option selected, but even if I did, I believe the browser, or whatever it is that does the remembering--the cookies?-- wouldn't allow it, because I've chosen to have the cookies cleared when I exit Firefox. It still logs me off, even if I don't exit Firefox, though, but doesn't on other sites, like yahoo mail....but it's okay with me :))

I don't want to further confuse anyone, so I'll stop here, since it's not something I'm trying to get fixed :)

eta: It wasn't always like this, and I haven't changed any of my settings, FWIW

Deleted member 42

This is a vBulletin issue. It has to do with stale cookies.

vBulletin changed the way it writes to cookies, and added a new cookie.

You need to:

* Make sure you know your password
* Log off AW (click the Log Off link on the top right)
* Delete AW cookies or clear cookies
* Quit browser
* On Windows, you may need to go into your network settings and clear the OTHER stored cookie (see this) Even if you don't use I.E.
* If using I.E., may need to restart computer, because on Vista and Windows 7, the cache is re-written.
* Log back into AW

Deleted member 42

yes, by PWs I mean passwords.

I'm not complaining, just offering what I know (or thought I knew, lol!)

(I do not have the "keep me logged in" option selected, but even if I did, I believe the browser, or whatever it is that does the remembering--the cookies?-- wouldn't allow it, because I've chosen to have the cookies cleared when I exit Firefox. It still logs me off, even if I don't exit Firefox, though, but doesn't on other sites, like yahoo mail....but it's okay with me :))

I don't want to further confuse anyone, so I'll stop here, since it's not something I'm trying to get fixed :)

eta: It wasn't always like this, and I haven't changed any of my settings, FWIW

Yeah, that's because while you DON'T have stale cookies, your password is not being encrypted and stored as a "token" in your cookie.

Deleted member 42

This exact same thing started for me a few weeks ago. It's even kicked me off when I click on another web page, than come back, I'm logged off. Yesterday, I went through the Control Panel to find out if the "keep me logged" in unchecked, but couldn't find it.

There's a check-box on the log-in dialog. You need to check it.

You also need to have "fresh" cookies, that is, you need to have deleted them since the April vBulletin upgrade.

Deleted member 42

It's exactly 20 minutes of inactivity for me and then it logs me off.

I don't have any PWs stored because it's my laptop and if it were to get stolen I don't want those saved.

oh, I use Firefox and that's all I know...

Because you don't have the "keep me logged in" box checked, the waiting period before vBulletin assumes you're logged in, and logs you off, automatically kicks in.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because you don't have the "keep me logged in" box checked, the waiting period before vBulletin assumes you're logged in, and logs you off, automatically kicks in.
ah ha!

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use Vista at home with Firefox as my browser and at work it's Windows 7 and Internet Explorer.

But I'll try to clear out my cookies and see what happens. Thanks for the heads-up.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score

I have a "Remember me" box (no wonder I couldn't find "keep me logged in"!). I had unchecked it recently to avoid ending up with a third "Snowstorm" since I have two "Snowstorm" in that auto-fill-in list. That did it. Thank you, Medievalist.

Deleted member 42

The names of GUI (Graphic User Interface) items and menu items changes not only from Web browser to Web browser, but even from iteration to iteration.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks! Yep, that solved it for me. Now I can be on all day w/o having to log back in.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.