Status
Not open for further replies.

Solivagant

procrastinatus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zrobertmurray.blogspot.com
For the last few years I've written simply as a hobby and for the fun of it. Recently I have begun sending out submissions to some of the pro-zines, and I've also submitted to the writers of the future for the heck of it, but I have yet to hear back and I'm not really sure what my plans are.

I've also written a few novel length works, straight to the trunk of course, but I'm really proud of my most recent attempt. So long story short I've been doing some thinking on what route I want to take with it. This of course led to a fairly large amount of research into the various aspects of finding an agent, but also self-publishing.

I know if I can get an agent to represent my manuscript then that would be the best thing career wise. Yet I keep coming back to self-publishing research. It just sounds like so much fun getting out there and trying to make a name for yourself, getting to experience every aspect of the process, and knowing sink or swim it's all on you. Sure this is probably true in a lot of ways for traditional publishing, and maybe it's just the marketing degree in me speaking, but it just seems like it could really be a lot of fun if a person took the right approach and mindset to the whole endeavor.

I've started saving up so that if I do go the self-publishing route I'll be able to afford an editor, graphic artist, typesetter, short-run print costs, and etc. In the mean time I'm still working on submissions, honing my skills with each attempt, and maybe I'll end up getting an agent but who knows.

At this point I'm basically leaving it all to fate and I figure we'll see how things go! I just wanted to get some idea from everyone's real life experiences on the whole process.

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard anyone say that it was 'fun' only that it is a separate business that requires proper planning, money, marketing and time. If you can't put that into it and plan correctly then you may become unhappy with that choice.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have a couple of projects that I plan to self-publish but I keep delaying. I am not anticipating it being a great deal of fun, just some work that leads to some profit.

Solivagant

procrastinatus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nitaworm -

There are definitely a lot of reasons that could lead self-publishing to be a painful and unhappy process, and read the story of many people that go into it with certain expectations and then are let down when they later learn the reality of self-publishing.

The main reason I think I'd be ok is that I wouldn't be doing it to break into the market and I wouldn't really be looking for a profit. Yes I would sell the finished work, but mainly just to re-coop the expense of publishing it on my own.

I know the joy of having my book in hand, and that sense of accomplishment ever time I know someone else has read that book, would really make my day!

Veinglory -

We all have different motivations for contemplating self-publishing, but from what I've seen self-publishing isn't the best route for making more then a little money in the long run. Of course this all depends on you and the lengths you'll go to succeed, and non-fiction works seem to do better then fiction.

If you don't think that Self-publishing will be fun and rewarding, and your just hoping for some profit, then why not continue to shop your work around and work a day job in the mean time? That way your guaranteed an income and you can still enjoy the writing itself?

Last edited:

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I could see it as being fun, in a way that I might enjoy taking a course on something...to learn and just experience it just because I want to...

Good luck with it and welcome to AW :hi:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The anthology is a book of reprints. They have already made their money by the traditional route and are going to make some more via the self-publishing route.

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
I've started saving up so that if I do go the self-publishing route I'll be able to afford an editor, graphic artist, typesetter, short-run print costs, and etc. In the mean time I'm still working on submissions, honing my skills with each attempt, and maybe I'll end up getting an agent but who knows.

At this point I'm basically leaving it all to fate and I figure we'll see how things go! I just wanted to get some idea from everyone's real life experiences on the whole process.

Solivagant,

I'm glad you have considered 'an editor, graphic artist, typesetter, short-run print costs, and etc' if you go the self-publishing route. It shows you are prepared for the preparation required to self-publish.

Hell, different people get a kick out of different things. Self-publishing isn't something I would immediately associate with 'fun'. Well, maybe, after the following:

Dedication
Hard Work
Perseverance
Research
Sacrifice
Learning new skills
Having a Donkey's Brass Neck
Exposing Yourself and Your Work to Criticism
Accepting Criticism
Learning From Your Mistakes
Knowing How To Build a Network
Knowing When 'No' Doesn't Mean No, but 'Maybe'
Understanding What Profit is
Knowing What Value You Place on Profit
Learning To Express Yourself
Engaging With Your Readership
Cultivating a Small Business

and, yes, having the time to enjoy it, maybe even consider some of it 'fun'.

'Fun' is when you enjoy something casual in your downtime. Self-Publishing is not the casual avenue of publishing. The moment you start to think that is the moment you expose your work to every deserved criticism, frailty and stigma self-publishing has got a bad rap for.

Don't leave it to fate. Take control, hone your skills as a writer and give it your best shot with an agent or publisher.

If need be, after you give it your best shot, then by all means consider self-publishing. But don't devalue it as being a second choice, 'a fun thing to do', or publishing's poor option. It isn't. It's actually damn hard work and sometimes painful and difficult to get right.

I'd publish mainstream any day over self-publishing.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Solivagant

procrastinatus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Cella -

Thank you for the warm welcome! I've spent the last week reading through older posts and I have to say it seems like an amazing place for a writer. I swear I've learned something new about the industry every time I come here.

Veinglory -

I have to say that I think you have an awesome idea. I guess I never really thought past the first sale and what I'd then do with each piece, but I think you have the right plan in continuing to make money on something you know is good.

MickRooney -

First of all I apologize if I came of as a bit flippant with my views towards self-publishing. I have nothing but respect for those who have the dedication and fortitude to do something that requires so much hard work. Also, I haven't faced the stream of rejections that most writers will face so I have yet to associate self-publishing as an alternative to traditional publishing. To me they are both viable options with equal benefits, but I'm sure that could change.

My lively-hood is business right now, and the way I have fun in life is writing. I love business though almost as much as I do writing, and it just seems to me that, for myself at least, self-publishing could be a good combination of the two.

I know it won't be easy, just like getting an agent wouldn't be easy, but I think that if a person can temper their expectations and work hard then they could still end up following their dreams by self-publishing and have a blast doing it.

roseangel

Crazy Young Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Self-publishing is best if that is what suites your work, niche works that the author would be able to reach the right audiences better than a commercial publisher.
You have to look at it objectively, where it would best reach.

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
publishing is a business. I have a degree in business and one main key we learned was that any business usually takes 3 to 5 yrs to turn a profit. Putting a book out there to be bought without marketing does not get it sold. Expecting that just making it available will be enough is unrealistic. However, if you start a publishing company that publishes your work and give your 'business' 3 years to grow and re-invest in it then you may be surprised at what you've gained. Let's stick to the fact that publishing and being an author are two totally different jobs. It's okay to pick to do one or the other. It's your work, your goals, your life...do what makes you and only you happy. That's different for everyone, and no one in a forum can determine that for you. Also, no one can predict what your success is - you set that goal for what is successful for you - and only you.

Last edited:

Gun Street Girl

she dies at the end
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. There seems to be a dearth of fun types around here.

I am in the process of publishing independently, and I am having fun. It is also, no joke, an incredible amount of work. But I am a DIY type of gal (horrors!) and this is right up my alley.

I love, love love LOVE to write. I don't care if I become rich and famous. But though I am not doing it as a business venture, I will have to treat it as one. A great deal of professionalism is required. I am dealing with the permissions department of Atlantic Grove Press, an editor, a typesetter, a web designer, and none of it is easy or cheap. And it takes time. But it is all worth it if your heart is in it, your expectations are reasonable, and you aren't averse to work.

Keep in mind that if you want your book to reach a broader audience, you are going to have to dedicate your life to it. And that success will hinge on a number of things, including quality, demand, marketing, persistence, and luck.

If you just want to see a few of your books in print, to give to friends and family, it is exponentially easier, as you can simply go the Lulu route if you want.

Good Luck! (And have fun. :))

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
Self-publishing can be fun. It IS a lot of hard work, to be honest, but not much more than being a midlist author at a big house, when you hear the horror stories of some of them (and they gave up their rights!). At least as a self-publisher, you have the option to do with your work as you wish, whether it's give it away for free, print, or epublish.

I love making my covers, but that goes with my creative side. While they've been hard work, it was fun work. For some upcoming books, I plan to hire a graphic artist, though.

The hardest thing for me is marketing and promo, as I'm naturally an introvert and would prefer to hide out and write rather than mingle. But I get out there and enjoy the interactions. I adore hearing from readers enthusiastic about my books. Those contacts (email, twitter, facebook, whatever) keep me going.

Also, a friend of mine chose to self-publish only and she has some bestselling ebooks. It can happen if you write a story people want to read. Those ifs are the same whether you are commercially published or self-published, but I've found more satisfaction from self-publishing than I did by being chosen by (small) presses.

Solivagant

procrastinatus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wow. There seems to be a dearth of fun types around here.

Had I realized that equating fun with self-publishing would garner such a response I guess I would have went with rewarding instead. That just goes to show the power of a single word!

All I was hoping for was to find out if anyone actually enjoyed the process of self-publishing. Just because something isn't easy doesn't mean it can't be a fun and rewarding process.

If I gave anyone the impression that I didn't understand the difficulties, or that I didn't take it seriously then again I apologize.

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
No worries. We a just a lively group here.

It is rewarding because it's a major accomplishment to run any business and stick with it because you believe in the product and yourself.

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
All I was hoping for was to find out if anyone actually enjoyed the process of self-publishing. Just because something isn't easy doesn't mean it can't be a fun and rewarding process.

If I gave anyone the impression that I didn't understand the difficulties, or that I didn't take it seriously then again I apologize.

Solivagant,

We are a lively bunch, and fun too! Just sometimes we get passionate too about making sure those who go into self-publishing have all the tools and awareness to actually find it rewarding (and fun)!

I loved the hands-on approach when I self-published - even the tricky formatting of book interiors and best of all doing a great cover.

Don't ever lose your sense of fun in a challenge - sometimes it is the very thing that keeps you going. :)

Best,

Mick.

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Erm...the fun parts:
-writing the book
-making the cover
-holding the book in your hands and knowing that you--just you--made it happen.
-getting little trickles of money and knowing that you--just you--made that money happen.

Other days, I tend to think it's not-so-much fun. But thanks for posting this. You reminded me why I decided to do it in the first place. Your perspective is refreshingly upbeat. I think we writers can tend to be a downtrodden crowd (hence all the alcoholism and suicide amongst our ranks. :p)

T.E. Dittersdorf

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the process of editing proofs and I'm finding this a very rewarding experience. Yes, I'm having fun with learning all aspects of this process. This book demands time and patience and I'm happy to take the time it needs to make it a good read.

Great thread!

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I've never self-published, but I do find myself enjoying a lot of the peripheral tasks that I've set for myself around writing - making my own website and blog, setting up a goodreads account, networking on Facebook, etc. The entire process has been educational, to say the least. So I can definitely see where self-publishing could be a fun challenge.

I guess the problem would be the stigma, the idea that people self-publish because they can't get anyone else to publish their work, but I'm not sure how widespread that view is outside the world of writers. I've read articles in my local newspaper about the great achievement of some townsfolk in getting published, and then read on to find that they were self-published. The paper either didn't know the difference, or didn't care.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
How much fun is self-publishing?

How much fun is self tooth extractions?

I suspect the answer depends on your level of tolerance to pain.

Cliffhanger

Banned
Reaction score
Which of the following would you call fun?

1. Getting up early everyday to work your ass off at a job you hate.
  2. Writing your time away blissfully.
  3. Constantly checking, reading, and writing emails.
  4. Trying to convince strangers to buy your book.
  5. Pounding your head against a wall.
  6. Being hung up on, ignored, laughed at, ridiculed, and pushed aside.

Most writers I know only want to do 2. Self-publishing involves 1, 3-6 most of the time, and only when you're tired, defeated, and curled up into the fetal little ball will you have time for 2 again.

If you already have a steady day job you hate, don't kill your passion for writing by taking on a second full-time job you'll hate. If you want to be a writer, write. If you want to be a salesperson, go be a salesperson.

Solivagant

procrastinatus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I know this is a bit off-topic, but if self-publishing is such a horrible process that has left so many of you bitter and unhappy, then why did you do it in the first place?

Why keep doing it?

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I know this is a bit off-topic, but if self-publishing is such a horrible process that has left so many of you bitter and unhappy, then why did you do it in the first place?

Why keep doing it?

I don't think people are bitter and unhappy. I believe they want to paint the realistic pic that publishing is work. Some folks think that just putting stuff out to be purchased is publishing. It's not if you are going to do it well. Also, the truth is the larger publishing companies put out tons of flops before they get a payout for some of their books. In the sales business you have success/loss. We are just trying to paint a real picture so that no one goes on that journey without knowing what they are getting into. That way the rewards will be all the more sweeter.

Now there are some folks here that are highly against the entire concept of self-publishing, and that's fine for them. However, everyone has a different goal for their writing and I believe only the writer can know that. I've personally seen many self-pubs that are successful within their own determination of their success - and beyond.

I also remember when I was in college, most of the books that I purchased were self-pubs. I went to an African American college that was the only place that I could get books that had mc's that looked and thought like I did. Did I know they were self-pub? Nope. Did I care? Nope. I still have some of the books I purchased in college and I smile, because self-pub has been around a long time. Those that have a business mind, determination to pull it off, and sometimes luck have used it as a platform to do more.

So take what you read here with a grain of salt. This is a forum, a place where people dump their personal ideas. Who knows...over time, they may change them.

kappapi99

Registered
Reaction score
I guess the problem would be the stigma, the idea that people self-publish because they can't get anyone else to publish their work, but I'm not sure how widespread that view is outside the world of writers. I've read articles in my local newspaper about the great achievement of some townsfolk in getting published, and then read on to find that they were self-published. The paper either didn't know the difference, or didn't care.

Only writers and publishers have issues with people who self-publish. People on the outside don't care. A book is either good or not. The method of getting it to the people has little bearing on that, IMHO.

KP

Status
Not open for further replies.