Status
Not open for further replies.

azbikergirl

I really do look like this.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fantasyauthor.blogspot.com
I was reading on locusmag's web site about my favorite authors and where they were going to be doing signings (not in MY area, of course), when I spotted a "book launch party" at a bookstore.

Hmmm, I thought. What a divine idea! But I'm a nobody. No one's ever heard of me or read my stuff. Would it be a waste of time to hold a book launch party for a new author at a local bookstore? Has anyone tried that?

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I think it would be really cool. Invite all your friends and family, tell them you need them for moral support. Invite people you work with. Provide refreshments and coffee, and maybe even offer up a couple of free goodies as door prizes. See if the local newspaper has an "upcoming events' section, and get your party listed. Our paper has that, and half the authors listed in there are people I've never heard of.

Look at it this way, even if no one from the general public shows up, at least you and the bookstore people will have a good time.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I'm having a launch party. Going to try and convince the local B&N that it should be at their store :) Shouldn't be too hard, they're very amenable about local authors. As soon as I have a release date I'm going to work it all out.

If the B&N won't do a party, I'll have it at the library or something.

Yes, I'm doing invitations as well as sending a press release to all the local papers.

azbikergirl

I really do look like this.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fantasyauthor.blogspot.com
Cool, Christine! My friends think I should have a party to celebrate, and I thought why not just hold it at a bookstore and do a public event? Folks who are going just to shop will want to stop by and see what the fuss is about. ;)

My publisher is big into BookSense booksellers, of which there are quite a few in my area (one of my favorite bookstores is a BookSense store). I thought I'd see about doing it there, rather than at a chain store.

Status
Not open for further replies.