Need Spanish equivalent

Kathie Freeman

That Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catbook.biz
I need a Spanish term for animal control, in other words the agency that is responsible for stray or abandoned animals. Also, is there a Spanish equivalent for the "Valley of the Shadow" meaning death? My protagonist (a cat) is in danger of being sent to the pound.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
They'd probably say, 'Animal Control,' seriously. 'Control de Animales' is the actual term, or 'Bienestar Animal' perhaps (like Animal Welfare, Well-being).

Dunno, we had a zorro on our roof in Costa Rica and nobody to call :)

For the death one, I'm sure they have similar terms, but I don't know any myself. What country is their heritage? Terms like that are regional sometimes.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'll Google around a bit; most of my Spanish idioms came from classes in old literature, lol. I think I know 20 words each for priest, funeral, farm and olives ;)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Not sure about the Valley of the Shadows bit, exactly what does it mean? What do you want to say with that idiom?

Valley of the Shadows comes from the Bible (one of the psalms), so no doubt is pretty universal.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'll Google around a bit; most of my Spanish idioms came from classes in old literature, lol. I think I know 20 words each for priest, funeral, farm and olives ;)

Let's see, for priest: Cura, Padre, Presbítero, Sacerdote, Capellán (though that would be Chaplain) Canónigo... (thanks Spanish translation of The Canterbury Tales!)

Farm: Granja, hato, hacienda, huerto, parcela, plantación, fundo, vega, finca, estancia... my, there are a lot.

:tongue