Curvy = Fat....BOO! (aka I need specific description help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonhead

Life isn't all beer and skittles.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahnicolelemon.com
My MC is an athletic girl. Athletic with a banging, curvy, awesome body.

Whenever I type "curvy" people read "FAT"

But that's not what I'm trying to say!!!!

It's first person so I can't just write "I have a freaking awesome body."

(slams head on desk)

I've tried every way possible to get this description and everyone still reads "FAT"

Help!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Voluptuous?

Some people equate that to fat, also. Like Mae West. (Not saying she's fat, saying she was voluptuous.)

The problem is, no matter what descriptive you use, someone will read into it what they want to read into it.

To me, curvy is perfect.

Or curvaceous.

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
why just one word to describe it?
"I have thighs you can bounce quarters off of"
"my arms are sleek, toned and defined."
"J-lo envies my ass."

for the record, I don't read curvy as fat.

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score

Help!

People don't say this type of thing?

Hmm. No wonder girls don't like me.

Perhaps you could mention that she has a slim waist and nice hips? Not as lamely as that, but you get what I mean.

Oh, and I don't read curvy as fat. People say I'm curvy, and I'm a size eight(English size). So it's not always associated with weight.

x

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
why just one word to describe it?
"I have thighs you can bounce quarters off of"
"my arms are sleek, toned and defined."
"J-lo envies my ass."

for the record, I don't read curvy as fat.

Yeah, no reason why she can't walk past a department store picture window and admire her reflection and talk about her runner legs or despite being athletically toned still having an feminine figure or something along those lines.

Reaction score
Yeah, no reason why she can't walk past a department store picture window and admire her reflection and talk about her runner legs or despite being athletically toned still having an feminine figure or something along those lines.
Ick.

The old 'looking in the mirror to describe oneself' trick that no-one would ever do in real life.

You know what you look like. Why go into detail about your appearance in your own head, when you catch sight of your reflection?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I regularly look at myself in a mirror and go, "Good goddamn you have a square head. Mr. McSquarehead. Ugh. Bah. eeeeh!"

Then I start mugging at myself.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ick.

The old 'looking in the mirror to describe oneself' trick that no-one would ever do in real life.

You know what you look like. Why go into detail about your appearance in your own head, when you catch sight of your reflection?

I do it all the time. If I'm walking. If I'm driving. I always look at my reflection.

Reaction score
I look in the mirror and think, "God, I wish I had perfect skin. Wonder if I should wear my glasses today or contacts?"

Not, "I observe my differently-coloured eyes and jaw-length layered bob. Why, I remember a few weeks back dyeing it purple and dripping hair dye on the shoulders of my tee-shirt. The blue one, which contrasts well with my one green eye. Perhaps I should wear something to offset the grey of the other one. Oh look, I have a dimple in one cheek."

Reaction score
I do it all the time. If I'm walking. If I'm driving. I always look at my reflection.
I bet you don't describe yourself to yourself though, which is what makes the cheesy 'mirror trick' so awful. It's the internal monologue equivalent of on-the-nose dialogue.

Dot Hutchison

Falling through Clockwork
Registered
Reaction score
Or have a friend joke with her about it; my high school's cross country team, there was ONE girl on the entire team with curves. No matter how much she ran or worked out, she managed to keep her curves, which made all her teammates a little jealous. Her best friend called her the poster girl, said she was the only reason people came to meets.

kaitlin008

Seeing newness all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kaitlinward.blogspot.com
Does her body shape need to be described? You can just say she's athletic and leave people to make their own inferences, unless it really matters to you.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My MC is an athletic girl. Athletic with a banging, curvy, awesome body.

Whenever I type "curvy" people read "FAT"

But that's not what I'm trying to say!!!!

(slams head on desk)

I've tried every way possible to get this description and everyone still reads "FAT"

Help!

If it's really that important to describe her body (as a reader, I generally prefer to draw my own conclusions, to be honest), then have someone else tell her she has a 'freaking awesome body' or whatever.

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't get it. Why don't you just call her "Athletic" again?

I hear people say "she's got an athlete's body" or "she's so athletic" or "she has an athletic build" all the time.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
Does her body shape need to be described? You can just say she's athletic and leave people to make their own inferences, unless it really matters to you.

If it's really that important to describe her body (as a reader, I generally prefer to draw my own conclusions, to be honest), then have someone else tell her she has a 'freaking awesome body' or whatever.

Agreeing with Kaitlin and Smish here :)

As a reader, I don't need too many details -- no one else will imagine them the same way you do.

However, I guess if you have to put something in, I don't recommend the MC commentating on themselves thing (while seeing a reflection or whatever). And, I don't equate curvy with fat -- quite the opposite, really -- I more think of a well proportioned female bod, in my mind I automatically see the curves in all the right places :)

Stunted

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Registered
Reaction score
Bangin is one I hear a lot. It's kind of silly so it doesn't come off as conceited, particularly if used in conversation.

Alexis

masquerading as a southern girl
Registered
Reaction score
In a hammock on a roof, overlooking the Gulf
I'm like that. I'm not fat, not really ever called curvy either. But I have an athletic build.

If I was writing about myself as if I was a character, then I would probably say something along the lines of:

I guess I'm skinny. If it weren't for my abs, though, I doubt people would tell me that. I see it sometimes. Other times I see everything above and below my belly button. My butt is... decent. It's no ghetto booty, but it's got cushion. Every once in a while, my legs remind me of the cartoon muscle men. Thick thighs, decent calves--good muscle--but tiny ankles. It's a good thing I've got things going for me on the upper half, if you know what I mean. Gives me a nice little hourglass figure... except maybe it's more like a half an hour.

Anyway, I don't know if that helped. But curvy is what guys (the ones I know) tend to say curvy when they are trying not to say chubby. Fat they'd just plain come right out and say it. And for the women I know, curvy is said as a good thing- not as fat.

Good luck!!

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Don't do the looking in the mirror/window trick. Have a friend, or more appropriately, an admirer describe her, if it's really necessary. Some people require description when they read. I prefer not to have too much because generally I forget what they look like by the end anyway.

And curvy does not equal fat in my book, especially if she's an athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.