PDA

View Full Version : The Edit that Book Challenge

Sassy3421
05-20-2010, 03:31 AM
I don't know maybe I'm the only person out there that goes to sit down with all intents and purposes to polish off the manuscript deemed to be the next bestseller? ...but then...it stalls...all the enthusiasm I had going for...stalls.

So I got to thinking, we have a finish that book challenges, challenges for reaching target word counts - all are terrific and have helped me along the way! But I got thinking why not an Edit that Book Challenge? just somewhere we can all drop in and share where we're at, how we're feeling, get encouraged.

I'll start. I just finished a book and I thought while it's sitting aside I'd go back to my first mystery to polish it off for queries. Well - whahh - it's like I'm hitting my head against a wall. :Headbang: I've written 3 mysteries total now and I know so much more than then. ...to condense this I find that I'm pretty much going to have to do a complete revamp. But I know there's a story in there worth saving....it's just going to take time and work.

Guess that's where I thought this thread might help me and some others of you that might be struggling with the same thing.

Let's get that manuscript published!

Namatu
05-20-2010, 04:20 AM
Were you inside my head earlier when I was thinking, "Oh yeah. That book. I'm almost done editing it. I don't want to edit any more. I'm done with it. On to new book!"

Were you there? Because I don't appreciate your listening in. ;)

Damn. Now I have to finish. I'll see how much I can get done this weekend. :poke:

Sassy3421
05-20-2010, 05:50 AM
Awesome Namatu! It's so much easier to say "next" but we can't let ourselves :)

Ugawa
05-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Good idea :D. I hope I can join in with this thread soon.

Sassy3421
05-20-2010, 03:38 PM
great Ugawa :)

today's goal for myself: focus without hyperventilating

Namatu
05-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Awesome Namatu! It's so much easier to say "next" but we can't let ourselves :)But why not? </whine> (I don't even mind editing. I'm just dragging my feet. ;) )

Ugawa
05-20-2010, 06:01 PM
But why not? </whine> (I don't even mind editing. I'm just dragging my feet. ;) )

I find editing more enjoyable than writing the first draft. lol. I'm just weird. I can completely edit a MS in about 2 weeks, but it takes me months to write that first draft. Blah. lol

x

ETA: Those two weeks don't include line-by-line edits.

Sassy3421
05-20-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm a foot-dragger too....and much rather write the first draft. hoping we can help each other going. and I wouldn't mind if you rubbed off on me a bit Ugawa

Ugawa
05-20-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm a foot-dragger too....and much rather write the first draft. hoping we can help each other going. and I wouldn't mind if you rubbed off on me a bit Ugawa

Lol. Think of a first draft as a block of marble. Once you have it, that's when you begin creating your masterpiece.

Always helps me during edits :D

x

Monkey
05-20-2010, 10:18 PM
I'll join. :)

I've got one scene that needs more fleshing out, I need to double-check for time-consistency, and I need to do line-by-lines.

Sassy3421
05-21-2010, 03:43 PM
welcome Monkey! how did your line by lines go yesterday?

hopefully this little thread catches on :)

Namatu: I think we owe it to ourselves to finish what we started.

Ugawa: I'm going to have to start looking at it the way you do. It might help more. I know I take a deep satisfaction in it when it starts resembling a polished gem.

I took today off as a vacation day so that will make for a 4 day weekend! Today, I plan on entering marked edits from my first 80pgs or so, and doing what I can for story revamp. (I had a chapter that had a lot of forensic findings all dumped in one chapter...they need to be sprinkled throughout the book)

Monkey
05-21-2010, 06:08 PM
I got a couple of pages done, but mostly I worked on a chapter-by-chapter synopsis.

CheyElizabeth
05-21-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm popping over here from the Finish that book challenge, where I've successfully finished my book!

I'm hoping to get it edited within a month. Right now I'm doing a full read thru and taking notes.

Sassy3421
05-21-2010, 10:33 PM
I managed to work my way to pg 52 on edits and I'm feeling pretty good about it right now. time for a break.

Namatu
05-21-2010, 11:40 PM
I entered corrections in for two chapters last night and printed out the remaining 50, single-spaced, tiny-fonted pages (saves paper). This is a line-by-line and any changes will be light. Hoping to get through most of it this weekend.

year90ninezero
05-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Here's a thread I need. I am definitely a "nexter", always prepared to move to the next novel before the last one (or the one before the last one) is edited. I like to do two edits before a draft sees a beta reader. I'm currently working on my second novel's line by line, and dear jebus, it is a slog.

I think the manuscript is in the absurd number of pages (600+ probably?), with four parts, eight chapters in each part, plus another chapter at the beginning and the end. I'm only about fifty pages into it. Daunting, daunting, daunting.

I think I'll try to do at least three pages a day. That way I should finish in about six months at the latest. At some point I'll start the "second" edit, which is incorporating my line by lines into the beta draft, along with any restructuring or new prose.

Keep ya'll posted for good measure and motivation.

Sassy3421
05-23-2010, 04:04 PM
up to pg 72 now...going slower than I'd like in some ways but the story's having new life breathed into it.

great idea year90ninezero - giving yourself a deadline.

I hope to be finished this round of edits on Ties that Bind by July 1st. will still have to go back and do it again - I'm sure. I've never done a line by line edit before.

Namatu
05-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Did not make nearly as much progress this weekend as I'd hoped, but still counting it as progress.

Sassy3421
05-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Did not make nearly as much progress this weekend as I'd hoped, but still counting it as progress.

Hey progress is progress! :)
today I'm back to the day job so I won't get as much done but I hope to improve an existing scene and write a bit of new ones to insert after it.

Sai
05-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Yay, an editing thread! I revisiting an old novel, still in it's rough drafts. The story's all there, but the problem is that it's currently only about 50k and I need to beef it up as I write. I think I know how: there's a certain underdeveloped side plot that I need to flesh out more. But that also means doing a bit more research and planning, and then writing and more editing...ever feel like a snake eating it's own tail?

Sassy3421
05-26-2010, 01:53 AM
welcome to the thread Sai :)
today wasn't a good one...for editing anyway. I feel like I'm falling into a void...I'll work at pulling myself out tomorrow...http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-think004.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

ebennet68
05-26-2010, 03:26 AM
Okay, I guess I'll join this thread. I have two completed manuscripts. I have started a third. My first one has gone through two revisions that I thoroughly enjoyed because after all, it was my "first born." It's the second one that's giving me fits. I know I have to get to it and I did get one chapter revised. (Took me three days for it, after it sat for almost six weeks.) It's just that the new one is so shiny and bright and exciting. I'd rather work on it! So, revising on the one I need to work on stands at one chapter done out of twenty.

AnnEndicott
05-26-2010, 05:14 AM
May I join you guys?

I had a few casual requests from editors at a conference I went to a few weeks ago, and am trying to edit the manuscript now so I can send it off.

I've read it through once and did little fixes here and there -- adding a line, changing a word, fixing a tense, etc.

I'm about 30k in (60k total right now) of reading it through again, and marking it up with [add her thoughts about this] here and there. My next time through will be the "hard" work of adding this stuff, but for now, baby steps.

I'm not sure about you guys, but I alternate between "I'm the next best thing!" and "My work is complete crap!". Right now I'm at the "crap" stage, and am trying to get past that so that I can edit and feel like I'm making improvements, instead of just hating on my story.

I didn't get any edits done today, but I found you guys! Does that count towards progress? :)

ebennet68
05-26-2010, 05:37 AM
Okay, so since I posted a few hours ago, I got started revising Chapter 2. I got one scene done. (About 4 pages worth.) So, it was a scene that was pretty clean on the first draft and it wasn't that bad but I still needed to change a few things so it still counts.
By the way Ann, of course finding the thread counts!

Sassy3421
05-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Welcome Ebennet68 and Ann

I'm not sure about you guys, but I alternate between "I'm the next best thing!" and "My work is complete crap!". Right now I'm at the "crap" stage, and am trying to get past that so that I can edit and feel like I'm making improvements, instead of just hating on my story.

Ann, I hear you! that's where I was yesterday (feeling like it's crap) and because of it I'm almost afraid of picking up my book today but I'm going to make myself.

Sassy3421
05-26-2010, 02:36 PM
I just wanted to share something with you guys. I know it made me feel better at the time I read it. It's a quote from within the book "Don't Murder Your Mystery":

"Anyone who is satisfied with first-draft writing is either extraordinarily talented or has low standards." - Arnold Melnick

ebennet68
05-29-2010, 05:02 AM
Love the quote, Sassy. I got Chapter 2 done today. Woohoo! Only 18 more to go!!

Sassy3421
05-29-2010, 05:16 AM
that's great ebennet68!
I finally realized where I want my book to go, so i'm back on track! it only took staying up to midnight last night - worth the price :) (normally I'm in bed by 10pm) I wrote some new segments today and feel pretty good about them.

NicoleMD
05-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Eh, I'll join this challenge too, though I'm technically not supposed to be on AW until I finish my MS. But I put in at least ten hours of editing today, so that should earn me a little play time.

I've got to have this thing edited and polished by June 1st. I'm doing Holly Lisle's One Pass Revision which I started two weeks ago. I'm about 2/3s done with the hand editing and have typed it all in and have started polishing from the beginning. Here's what I have to do to have my manuscript presentable:

Saturday: Finish writing 2 of the final four chapters and polish 10 more chapters.

Sunday: Finish writing the final 2 chapters and polish 20 chapters

Monday: Flash edit the last 100 pages of the book, type in changes, fix 4 problem chapters

Tuesday: Proof last 100 pages, print manuscript and deliver to crit group.

Yeah, that's a lot, but I've got a three day weekend and don't have to go into work until noon on Tuesday!

Nicole

gothicangel
05-29-2010, 10:14 AM
I must have missed this thread, I've just discovered it. :D

Yesterday I started editing my WIP, and this morning I've decided I don't like the correction to the end of chapter one. Aaargh!!

That's my evening booked tonight then.:Headbang:

Sassy3421
05-29-2010, 05:39 PM
:welcome: Nicole and Gothicangel

sounds like you've got it all planned out Nicole...now, myself, I'm not so organized...all I know is I want this book finished to the point I'm completely satisfied with it and ready to send it to agents. But the thing is...I have to take stuff out, move it around, add new scenes, more elements to flesh out the entire plot and my MC's main conflict....not enough hours in the day it feels sometimes. (and here I am on a weekend...should have time but some things need to get done around the house too ... drag)

Sassy3421
05-30-2010, 02:57 AM
okay well somehow I managed to write over 1k today in the midst of cleaning up the patio and washing the car with my husband.

pretty happy with what I wrote - hope to accomplish even more tomorrow with my edits

NicoleMD
05-30-2010, 06:13 AM
Nice, Sassy! I got one chapter written and nine proofed, which means I'll have to work a little faster tomorrow. I also mowed the grass and took my dog for a walk, so I got a little moving done too. :)

Nicole

ebennet68
05-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Okay so all I got done as far as editing/revising today was to re read the two chapters I just revised to see how they felt. I only had to change a few word choices here and there so it wasn't too bad. I wrote about 3500 words on my new project which I must say was so much fun. I was on a roll! Must commit some more time tomorrow on revising, though I must say, that revising at a slower pace is making my MS a lot better than when I just plow through it.

Sassy3421
05-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Nice, Sassy! I got one chapter written and nine proofed, which means I'll have to work a little faster tomorrow. I also mowed the grass and took my dog for a walk, so I got a little moving done too. :)

Nicole

Great job for you too!! you almost reached the goal you set for yourself for Saturday :)

ebennet68 Okay so all I got done as far as editing/revising today was to re read the two chapters I just revised to see how they felt. I only had to change a few word choices here and there so it wasn't too bad. I wrote about 3500 words on my new project which I must say was so much fun. I was on a roll! Must commit some more time tomorrow on revising, though I must say, that revising at a slower pace is making my MS a lot better than when I just plow through it.

I love first drafts the best (confession). the free flow of just writing is so much fun :) I don't know how you do it though, I couldn't balance a new work, keep the facts straight for it while I'm immersed in edits. kudos!

Sassy3421
05-31-2010, 12:58 AM
57 pages of edits today!!! which included news words, scenes and of course glorious cut and paste rearrangements. I believe I deserve the rest of the day off.
http://www.freesmileys.org/custom/image/cyan%5E_%5Earial%5E_%5E8%5E_%5E0%5E_%5EWAHOOO%5E_% 5E.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/custom)

NicoleMD
05-31-2010, 07:42 AM
I got my two chapters written for the day, plus the one I didn't get to yesterday. I didn't get as many chapters proofed as I would have liked, only around 11 or so.

Tomorrow will be a crazy day!

Nicole

NicoleMD
06-01-2010, 07:50 AM
My brain is mush. Another full eight hours of editing today. Four more tomorrow, and I'll be as done as I'm going to get. 100 pages of proofreading left, and four pesky problem chapters need to be sorted out.

Nicole

Sassy3421
06-01-2010, 03:18 PM
My brain is mush. Another full eight hours of editing today. Four more tomorrow, and I'll be as done as I'm going to get. 100 pages of proofreading left, and four pesky problem chapters need to be sorted out.

Nicole

Don't you love that about editing? You can work your butt off and still have soooo much to do.

I'm almost to the half-way point. I changed the first half of my book quite a bit and I'm hoping I didn't destroy it. If I did, I still have the original file...but I really think I improved it. Let's just say it wouldn't have hooked an agent the way it was between protocol and some info dumps. so that's an improvement.

NicoleMD
06-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Nice! Go, go, go!

Nicole

Stanmiller
06-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Hey, what's this doing hiding out in the Roundtable?

The single best aid I found in editing is to read aloud, or get MS Narrator to read it. That finds all kinds of problems, from structural (that part just didn't make any sense) to grammar (hmm, that reads better with a comma...)

--Stan

Namatu
06-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Reading aloud is very helpful. I used that technique yesterday when I rewrote my first chapter. Also worked on a conversation that was always okay, but I felt could be more. Making good progress.

Sassy3421
06-01-2010, 11:20 PM
it is good advice, I doubly agree! Sometimes I'll write something and go to read it to my husband...and realize it sounded so much better in my head. I find it helps focus on where things need to be tightened up (on those scenes where you ramble)....

ebennet68
06-02-2010, 01:17 AM
I haven't done a darn thing with the project that needs revising in a couple of days. I'm just having too much fun writing the first draft of my WIP. Help motivate me please!!

Namatu
06-02-2010, 04:17 AM
I haven't done a darn thing with the project that needs revising in a couple of days. I'm just having too much fun writing the first draft of my WIP. Help motivate me please!!Revise that project or the WIP gets it. :sword And no more chocolate!

Sassy3421
06-02-2010, 05:31 AM
I haven't done a darn thing with the project that needs revising in a couple of days. I'm just having too much fun writing the first draft of my WIP. Help motivate me please!!

Step away from the work in progress!! Pick up the manuscript the deserves some attention!! Make it feel needed, wanted!!! FOCUS!! You can can do it!!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-chores013.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) :Sun:

If you're not a chocolate person what else can we punish you with....hummm...blank...but it will be bad lol

Nice! Go, go, go!

Nicole

You're doing a great job!! you've done a lot in 3 days - party! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance011.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

NicoleMD
06-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Editing is done! I turned my manuscript into my crit group today. I finished everything except the least two problematic of my problem chapters, which can wait. But for now, I won't have to think about the novel for a whole month!!!

Nicole

Sassy3421
06-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Editing is done! I turned my manuscript into my crit group today. I finished everything except the least two problematic of my problem chapters, which can wait. But for now, I won't have to think about the novel for a whole month!!!

Nicole

Congratulations!!!! :D (a little envious...guess I'll have to get my butt in gear too)

NicoleMD
06-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Congratulations!!!! :D (a little envious...guess I'll have to get my butt in gear too)

Thanks! Having a deadline really helped. Good luck with your editing!

Nicole

ebennet68
06-03-2010, 03:38 AM
Revise that project or the WIP gets it. :sword And no more chocolate!

Oh no! Don't do that to my WIP!!! It's just a baby and needs lots of attention but I guess the other "kid" is going to starve if I don't "feed it" soon. Been a hard week at the day job. Going to do a little bit tonight, even if it's just a page, I'll do it. Well maybe, 2 pages.
Thanks all!

Sassy3421
06-03-2010, 05:10 AM
Thanks! Having a deadline really helped. Good luck with your editing!

Nicole

thank you :) I've been dragging my butt with it for 2 days now....

ebennet68
06-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Finally out of the slump I was in. I actually revised twenty pages worth between last night and this morning. Now, as a reward, I get to work on the WIP for a few hours!!

Sassy3421
06-17-2010, 04:13 AM
great job Ebennet! I've fallen off the edit wagon (I know cliche analogy...) But I've stepped back to take a bit of a well-deserved break. Presently I'm reading through the novel I completed just a month ago now and will revisit my first mystery for edits. ...at least that's the plan unless I can't shut off the voices and need to write another right away....

StandJustSo
06-17-2010, 04:28 AM
Can I jump in? I'm working on the final draft/edit of my first novel, and I've been having a bitch of a time. I've changed some aspects of the story, which has a domino effect, but although I'm nearly over the 'hump' I'm just struggling.

Any motivation is a help, believe me!

NicoleMD
06-17-2010, 06:24 PM
You can do it, StandJustSo!

I sprinkle magic motivation powder on your head. :e2fairy: :e2BIC:

Nicole

Namatu
06-19-2010, 01:16 AM
I finished! and you can be too!

Sassy3421
06-19-2010, 04:13 AM
yes!! Namatu! I plan on getting back to it - latest Monday. I have to finish reading the first draft from my last novel first...then I'm picking up where I left off with my first mystery

Sassy3421
06-20-2010, 05:42 PM
okay - back to work for me!

kyliesmiley16
06-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Meeee! Me too! Let me join in :tongue

I finished the first draft of my MS in October! Edited the first few chapters... then jumped straight to MS 2! :rolleyes I'm on break for a month, and I must, must go back to my editing! I actually want to. I just can't, er, start. :tongue

Sassy3421
06-23-2010, 03:56 PM
kyliesmiley16 - for myself starting is the hardest part...and then keeping at it...and then completing it....lol....but what I do love is the end result. (it somehow seems easier to write the first draft because that can be done anywhere...edits, for myself, anyway need to be keyed in at a table..so rigid) anyway, that's where I'm at today. time to start keying...

and I definitely appreciate the need for a break too. it can only benefit your work to step back a bit - BUT COME BACK TO IT! :)

Namatu
06-23-2010, 09:37 PM
You can do it! And then you can have cookies. :e2cookie:

Sassy3421
06-23-2010, 10:57 PM
ooh I like cookies lol

kyliesmiley16
06-24-2010, 06:07 AM
and I definitely appreciate the need for a break too. it can only benefit your work to step back a bit - BUT COME BACK TO IT! :)

No, no! I mean, I'm on my break from uni at the moment. Which means no studies... which means time for writing. And I've got a month before I go back, so I should be getting as much writing and editing done as I can before then :tongue I *hate* taking breaks from writing! It kills! :tongue

Sassy3421
06-24-2010, 06:11 AM
oh....http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-ashamed001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

well I hate taking breaks, but I find I need to step back sometimes....or I become obsessive about a certain passage (ex. the first 5 pages) until I go crazy. Hey! but good news, I believe they're "perfect" now :) aaah....but I needed to step back.

well happy writing :) and successful editing!

ebennet68
06-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Haven't checked in on this thread in a while so I thought I might today. I decided to let the one book sit for a while that I was attempting to revise, even put the lovely WIP that I've enjoyed working on so much and return my attention to my first completed novel. I took time to read it over and although I love the story, I just wasn't satisfied with it and I knew it could be better. As soon as I sat down to work on it and only it, the revision seemed to flow so much better. In the past ten days, I've finished revising eight chapters already, added a few new scenes and can't wait to get back to it tomorrow. So, what I'm trying to say is that the key for me is to work on only one thing at a time. I'll take a break from this one for a couple of weeks when I'm done with it and do the new story, but I don't think I'm going to try and revise anything else until this one is as polished and as ready as it needs to be to be submitted. So, as far as revising, I've gone through approximately 20K words in the past ten days. Not too shabby.

kyliesmiley16
06-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Ooo, nice work ebennet! :D Keep it up!

Alas, I still haven't started... someone punish me now :tongue

ebennet68
06-25-2010, 04:29 AM
Okay. Got another chapter done today. It was one that needed the first half to be rewritten because of a change I made earlier in revising. It was a lot of work but I'm very pleased with the results. With every round of revision, (This is my third pass), I'm learning more and more about the craft and the story is really growing and looking better. This is one of those good days when I love being a writer.

Sassy3421
06-25-2010, 05:46 AM
ebennet68 I'm experiencing the same reprieve today. I feel great! And I have faith in my first mystery as making it somewhere...I really do. Not sure how to quantify what I accomplished today but I made some entries and I know I've grown a lot since I first wrote it.

I remember reading on a post here at AW that you can't expect to be the best writer overnight. All talents and crafts have to be learned, and expanded upon. You can't just wake up one day and decide you're going to be a doctor. same with writing well, you have to learn, grow, achieve...each day we apply ourselves we get closer to reacher our goals.

Sassy3421
07-01-2010, 06:50 PM
okay, "Happy Canada day!" lol, means a day off work, paid - bonus. And on top of it, it means I have time to write....and I mean...EDIT

Hoping to key everything in and finish up this run through on my first mystery today. don't really see it being a problem. it's only 11am and I have about 37 pgs. just hoping my printer holds out for me (it needs a drum)....

Sassy3421
07-02-2010, 05:59 AM
oh, and if anyone is following this thread anymore, I did it! I have the print out sitting on my desk ready for binding....and the process will commence yet again....

ebennet68
07-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I've revised 19 chapters in the last three weeks. It's still going well.

Namatu
07-04-2010, 01:33 AM
oh, and if anyone is following this thread anymore, I did it! I have the print out sitting on my desk ready for binding....and the process will commence yet again....Woo! :e2cookie:

I'm not editing right now. Trying to kick myself into writing something new, but so distracted. Ooh, cookies. :e2cookie: See?

Eddyz Aquila
07-05-2010, 04:29 AM
Editing sucks b***s! I hate it!
And it's the only thing that will land me an agent and a contract, dammit!

Eh, slowly going along, don't mind me...

Sassy3421
07-05-2010, 02:40 PM
LMAO Eddyz! I felt that way so many times

Eddyz Aquila
07-05-2010, 03:34 PM
LMAO Eddyz! I felt that way so many times

My head is spinning every time I finish a batch of edits. Like honestly, why did no one invent some foolproof program that edits the works for you?

Joking of course (:D) but sometimes I wish for that.

Sassy3421
07-05-2010, 03:39 PM
My head is spinning every time I finish a batch of edits. Like honestly, why did no one invent some foolproof program that edits the works for you?

Joking of course (:D) but sometimes I wish for that.

Eddyz, I like to think once I'm published, I'll be able to pay someone to do it lol

Eddyz Aquila
07-10-2010, 06:08 AM
FML much?

Sifting through 260 pages of a manuscript isn't enjoyable. One try, ok.
But then doing a line by line when you already hate it by page 200 is too much.

Nothing to see here, please move on... It's only me venting.

Sassy3421
07-12-2010, 01:16 AM
not really sure what FML means, but if it stands for fantasize magnificently (not sure what the L would be), then I'm good with it!

I made it to page 180 today! woot! I finally see this as being potentially my last pass through it! But, there's still 300 pgs to go...sigh...

Eddyz Aquila
07-12-2010, 03:39 AM
Fuck My Life. :tongue

First round of edits FINISHED! Woo!

Line by line, from tah-morrow mornin'!

Sassy3421
07-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Fuck My Life. :tongue

First round of edits FINISHED! Woo!

Line by line, from tah-morrow mornin'!

ookay...edits getting to you lol

I'm not sure if I really buy into the line by line edit thing. Maybe I don't really understand it 100%. I understand looking for sentences that stop me from moving on, or that were added, and didn't need to be. That are basically duplicates phrased differently. But I think some people actually analyze every word in a sentence. I think editing like that is only asking for some boring dribble.

Eddyz Aquila
07-14-2010, 04:41 AM
Okay, it really got me. I am being serious here - I was so upset it was so beautiful but so fragmented because of the commas that I had to go sleep for one hour and return. Before, my sentences were too long. Dozens of run ons. And now, comma fest.

Urgh.

Page 15 of 252 of line by line edits.

Sassy3421
07-14-2010, 06:16 AM
lmao - sometimes it doesn't feel like we're winning, does it? but then, other times - wahooo! don't hate me, but I think mine's coming together. still have 176 pgs to go...

Eddyz Aquila
07-14-2010, 06:22 AM
lmao - sometimes it doesn't feel like we're winning, does it? but then, other times - wahooo! don't hate me, but I think mine's coming together. still have 176 pgs to go...

I know. I have too many dreamy moments of "I'm getting a fat advance" only to come back to earth in a rude awakening.

:(

Mine's coming together as well except it's painful.

ebennet68
07-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Two chapters to go, two chapters to go...

Sassy3421
07-14-2010, 04:38 PM
I know. I have too many dreamy moments of "I'm getting a fat advance" only to come back to earth in a rude awakening.

oh yeah, I've already got part of mine spent! It just depends on how "fat" it is how much of my plans I can take care of lol

Eddyz Aquila
07-15-2010, 12:17 AM
There's one good thing about this - word count started going down. :D

Sassy3421
07-23-2010, 02:00 AM
It feels like the edit phase is never going to end. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-whacky012.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)
Will I ever say it's perfect? I'm not thinking so. I might have to start querying it before that... lol...I hate being a perfectionist! I don't have time for it

Eddyz Aquila
07-23-2010, 04:12 AM
I'm slowly getting to the end. But it still is very annoying.

Sassy3421
08-29-2010, 07:27 PM
only 131 pages of edits left to enter in my first mystery....I can do it!!....sigh....I want to be finished now...I'm starting to procrastinate....

Sassy3421
08-30-2010, 12:50 AM
I'm finished!!!!!