Shady practice or not?

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, if this is in the wrong place then please move it :) Is it normal for a publisher to take their credit card processing fees from the authors royalties. This from a e publisher who states this on their site.

'Royalties: 35 % of the cover price less credit card processing fees for eBooks sold from our site, 35 % of the amount received from a reseller, and 10 % of the retail price for POD print books.'

Can some explain if this is a common practice?

Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Credit card processing fees seem like a cost of doing business for the publisher. It isn't something I think an author should be responsible for. Sounds like a pub I'd avoid.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Credit card processing fees seem like a cost of doing business for the publisher. It isn't something I think an author should be responsible for. Sounds like a pub I'd avoid.

That's what I thought.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
businesses don't charge their vendors for the bank fees when they sell products. they either have a minimum or suck it up.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> businesses don't charge their vendors for the bank fees when they sell products.

Amazon, Google, and many others charge credit card fees to vendors. It seems pretty common amongst eCommerce businesses.

> 35 % of the cover price less credit card processing fees for eBooks sold from our site

They consider authors as vendors on their web sites.

There is a golden rule in business. The link in the value chain closest to the end customer makes the rules. Telcos, e- and b&m- retailers, all shove extra costs on their vendors. What else is new?

-cb

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
They only thing an epublisher should ever be deducting is the cut taken by third party vendors (e.g. Amazon, Fictionwise).

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen that before in a contract. They want to deduct credit card fees from books sold on their own site? Unh unh. Not normal at all.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
So far I've only seen this with one e press. They do state it openly in their sub guidelines.

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
What most of the others said.

A legit publisher absorbs the usual costs of doing business -- which is why author royalties are so low in the first place. The pubs' lion's share is to pay their costs and provide them a modest (?) profit.

An e-publisher already up and doing business has even fewer costs per book (no printing costs, shipping costs, etc.) than a print publisher, so your royalty should be higher -- and the pub's costs of doing business should never be deducted from your share because the pub's baseline percentage is higher.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Just because they state something openly in their submission guidelines doesn't mean it's considered acceptable practice.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Just because they state something openly in their submission guidelines doesn't mean it's considered acceptable practice.

I didn't say it was. I was stating a fact. They list it right out in the open, and I was quite surprised to read it to be honest, since I've never heard the like before.

Last edited:

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
What most of the others said.

A legit publisher absorbs the usual costs of doing business -- which is why author royalties are so low in the first place. The pubs' lion's share is to pay their costs and provide them a modest (?) profit.

An e-publisher already up and doing business has even fewer costs per book (no printing costs, shipping costs, etc.) than a print publisher, so your royalty should be higher -- and the pub's costs of doing business should never be deducted from your share because the pub's baseline percentage is higher.

Yeah I thought it rather strange when I read it.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen that before in a contract. They want to deduct credit card fees from books sold on their own site? Unh unh. Not normal at all.

They do indeed.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Are you paying for the publisher's phone bill too?

This sounds like quite a scam if I ever heard one.

I'm not with this publisher. I just wanted to make that clear. I came across this when I was researching e pubs for a novella of mine.

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
I'm still a rookie, but neither of my publishers have anything like that in their terms. I assume their cut covers all their costs, plus anticipated profit, etc... My cut is my cut, not less anything.

I get xx% for sales on their site
I get xx% for sales on 3rd party sites
I get xx% if we go to print sales.

No ups, no extras, no hidden fees.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Site in question appears to be updated, that clause has been removed from the submission link.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Site in question appears to be updated, that clause has been removed from the submission link... Interesting....

WOW! Seriously! Karate chopped that one! Who has the power? AWers have the power. (-:

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
WOW! Seriously! Karate chopped that one! Who has the power? AWers have the power. (-:

It still may be there in the contract but not listed for all to see. I never did list the sites name openly, some here did request it through PM.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Even though it's now moot, how can it be a shady practice if it's in the contract? If you don't agree to it, negotiate it out, or else don't sign.