Is my MS an UF work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennasis

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm done writing and now I am stuck in my own personal query hell. Here's my problem: I don't know what genre my story IS. I didn't get hung up on pigeon-holing the dang thing, I just wrote it. But now that I need to "sell" it to an agent, I thought I should know what it is.

It's about superheroes (in a nutshell). Takes place in present day Los Angeles. They are fighting, essentially, vampires, and one of the superheroes is a werewolf. I threw in a good dash of heaven and hell stuff for good measure too.

So...what do I have?

fadeaccompli

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm done writing and now I am stuck in my own personal query hell. Here's my problem: I don't know what genre my story IS. I didn't get hung up on pigeon-holing the dang thing, I just wrote it. But now that I need to "sell" it to an agent, I thought I should know what it is.

It's about superheroes (in a nutshell). Takes place in present day Los Angeles. They are fighting, essentially, vampires, and one of the superheroes is a werewolf. I threw in a good dash of heaven and hell stuff for good measure too.

So...what do I have?

Genre in a query letter doesn't necessarily equal the genre a book is marketed under; the first is what you put in so that the agent knows broadly what category it falls into (and isn't going "Wait, vampires?" in the third paragraph), the second is what marketers decide is useful for getting your book to sell.

So I'd call that either "superheroes" or "urban fantasy", since it's modern-day with supernatural stuff, and call it a day. So long as your genre acknowledges that it's not ordinary real life, and it's more or less in a contemporary time period, it should be close enough; I doubt it's worth stressing over being more precise in a query letter.

Jennasis

Registered
Reaction score
Well it's always felt like UF, but like I said, I didn't want to pigeon-hole my work just yet so I didn't worry about it until now.

I am SO dreading writing this query. It's harder than writing the MS! Trying to distill it all down to a few paragraphs...gotta find a hook. Ugh...I'm drowning.

Snivscriv

Registered
Reaction score
There's a good thread in the stickies on how to write a query. Basically, don't try to distill down. Instead. Come up with a one sentence summary of your plot, and build up from there, adding only the most essential elements of the main story.

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
I think when superheroes are involved, that would be the main thrust of it, as it's a slightly different area to the usual kinds of UF - and superhero fiction is really making a resurgence, so it may be looked on favourably.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Which is the focus - vampires or superheroes? The query is a marketing tool and you want to make sure the agent is expecting the manuscript you give them. If the focus is more on the supernatural, call it UF. If the focus is on the superheroes, you might want to call it either contemporary fantasy or superhero fiction.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com

So...what do I have?

Sounds like urban fantasy to me, but I say the same about mine. It has devas, asuras, AIs, and a demon from outer space bound under the Antarctic ice cap. :)

There's also a really big cat that plays poker. His whiskers droop if you deal him a bad paw.

Jennasis

Registered
Reaction score
The focus is superheroes for sure. 100%.

And Matthew...as always, your description intrigues me. I would read it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.