PDA

View Full Version : Privacy

Punk
05-19-2010, 03:41 AM
How important is privacy to you when you're writing? Are you someone (like me) that needs to be completely alone? Can you blot the other people out? Or do you prefer their presence? Does it make a difference if you know the people that are in the room with you?

Wayne K
05-19-2010, 03:46 AM
I don't mind if there are people in the room as long as they're not talking to me. They can talk to each other, just not me

Margarita Skies
05-19-2010, 03:46 AM
When other people are with me in the room or when someone talks to me from another room in the house, it distracts me a little bit but it doesn't stop me from writing. I can pick up where I left off easily. Also, I don't mind people walking into my room and taking a peek at what I'm writing. I'm an adult now and I can write pretty much anything I want to. That's why I don't feel weird when people take a peek.

The Kidd
05-19-2010, 03:47 AM
I prefer to be around people that I don't know when I write. I don't mind if i'm in a room full of talking people as long as none of them are talking to me. This is why I write at the library :D

scarletpeaches
05-19-2010, 03:49 AM
People have a nasty habit of talking to me, expecting me to answer, demanding that I pay them attention.

Blarg.

It's a very rare person who can sit in the same room with you and shut up. The best communication is silent. In my opinion anyway.

So most of the time I prefer to be alone. Even if you tell someone you're working, nine times out of ten they'll get in your face and pester you for conversation and all that sociable nonsense.

Wayne K
05-19-2010, 03:49 AM
I prefer to be around people that I don't know when I write. I don't mind if i'm in a room full of talking people as long as none of them are talking to me. This is why I write at the library :D
That's why I write at home :D

Wayne K
05-19-2010, 03:51 AM
You didn't mention cats--The bane of my writing existence. I call Curly "McBane" now. He claws me and jumps up on the back of the chair. If I ignore him long enough, he'll go in the other room and cry.

Or is this limited to humans?

soapdish
05-19-2010, 03:53 AM
Depends on what stage I'm at. If I'm just dumping ideas out of my head, I don't mind if people are around. In fact I can often carry on a half decent conversation while I do it.
But if I'm editing or really trying to solve a problem, I should be alone.

If I have to be around others and need to focus, I find that headphones work wonders :D

scarletpeaches
05-19-2010, 03:53 AM
The only person I can 'talk' to while I write is Lori. Sure, it's on MSN, but it's still talking, right?

Anyone else who pings me is a distraction. Weird how it's not the case with her. She's the only person on MSN I've never, ever blocked to allow me to get on with work.

Margarita Skies
05-19-2010, 03:54 AM
You didn't mention cats--The bane of my writing existence. I call Curly "McBane" now. He claws me and jumps up on the back of the chair. If I ignore him long enough, he'll go in the other room and cry.

He'll cry? Awww! :(

Cyia
05-19-2010, 03:59 AM
If I'm already working and someone comes in, I'm liable not to notice them unless they make themselves known by physical contact or shouting until I snap out of my head. (The 2nd is safer, as the 1st is liable to end in me smacking them from reflex. No touchy!)

If I go into a room and people are already talking or watching TV, no way can I get anything done. I can't zone them out well enough.

SP's right (wow, that tasted weird in my mouth). Most people don't want to be ignored, and they take the fact that you're not actively engaging in conversation as being ignored. They want to talk, ask questions, be entertained, and most don't consider writing to be something worth not giving them your attention over.

Punk
05-19-2010, 04:07 AM

Well, I definitely wouldn't want to offend our quadrupedal pals! :D

My cat isn't too annoying when I'm working. I'm actually pretty grateful when she wants some affection since she's usually just a big lazy snob to me. If my brother had claws and could jump on top of my chair I imagine he would though (I joke that he has a form of Spidey Sense since he comes into my room to watch TV whenever I write).

I used to be able to get loads done in study hall in school, but now I can't get any work done when someone else is in the room. I'm much more vulnerable to distractions these days, I guess.

Medievalist
05-19-2010, 04:12 AM
I can write almost anywhere, though I need to be able to see. I've written in all sorts of odd, uncomfortable, noisy and crowded places.

But if I'm trying to write and you're peeking around me at the screen and offering comments?

I will hurt you.

Badly.

Snowstorm
05-19-2010, 04:16 AM
I don't care if others are around; in fact, coffeeshops are places where I do some of my best concentrating. (I prefer quiet at home though.)

scarletpeaches
05-19-2010, 04:23 AM
I can write almost anywhere, though I need to be able to see. I've written in all sorts of odd, uncomfortable, noisy and crowded places.

But if I'm trying to write and you're peeking around me at the screen and offering comments?

I will hurt you.

Badly.I love you.

In a completely standoffish, non-tactile, hands-off, silent, If-you-need-me-I'll-be-on-the-other-side-of-the-room-not-saying-a-thing, noli-me-tangere kinda way.

Wayne K
05-19-2010, 04:41 AM

I will hurt you.

Badly.

I love you.

In a completely standoffish, non-tactile, hands-off, silent, If-you-need-me-I'll-be-on-the-other-side-of-the-room-not-saying-a-thing, noli-me-tangere kinda way.
I love you the other way :D

scarletpeaches
05-19-2010, 04:47 AM
You can love me any way you like as long as you don't put me off my writing.

Jamesaritchie
05-19-2010, 04:56 AM
I love writing in solitude. A cabin in the deep woods is perfect. Particularly if there's no electricity.

I have my own office at home, I often go out in the woods to write, or go to the library, where I usually get a private reading/writing room.

But I can write effectively in a room crowded with people, and have many times. I prefer solitude , but it's not a necessity by any means.

scarletpeaches
05-19-2010, 04:59 AM
Solitude isn't a necessity. Quiet is.

I've yet to meet a non-writer who knows how the hell to STFU for longer than five minutes though.

Margarita Skies
05-19-2010, 06:26 AM
I've yet to meet a non-writer who knows how the hell to STFU for longer than five minutes though.

:ROFL:

Monkey
05-19-2010, 07:19 AM
I'm never alone.

I have a clingy 3-year-old daughter who is at my side day and night, even sleeping in the same bed with me. I have a 5-year-old son who hates that Kindergarten takes him away from me for most of the day, and so when he comes home, he wants to spend the first fifteen minutes or so in my lap. Sometimes I'm on AW because I can't write well with one child sitting on each leg (they're between me and the keyboard), but they don't really want me to get up or do anything, and I had been in the process of writing something...

Then there's my husband. We're still madly, crazy, honey-moon in love and the daily separation necessitated by his job is a sad, sad thing. When he comes home, the last thing I want is to be separated from him--I don't want him to be in the other room.

Now you see where my kids get it.

Literally, there is only one time when I have more than five minutes to myself, and that's when my husband watches the kids, and I saddle up my horse and head for the hills. But my husband and kids also have horses, and as soon as the little ones are old enough to tag along, I'm sure they will. Also, that happens once a month, if I'm lucky.

So no, I don't have the luxury of writing alone. My husband also writes, but can't write when there are distractions in the room, so right now he's limited to short poems and songs, much of which are done during his breaks at work. I write with kids in my lap, I stop repeatedly to get glasses of milk or to color something or to negotiate between warring siblings, and I've learned how to "hold that thought". My kids have learned, though, that "Let me finish writing this" means "Stay quiet until I ask you what you needed." :D

Shady Lane
05-19-2010, 07:42 AM
I'm social while I write. If someone's nearby, I talk. I definitely talk to my roommate and my boyfriend, and if they're not around, I like to have TV going, just to have noise. I'm a teenager. I multi-task.

Annayna
05-19-2010, 08:07 AM
I bite so people generally stay away from me :D

Matera the Mad
05-19-2010, 08:25 AM
*runs into cave and seals entrance*

Annayna
05-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Matera you're in my cave... and I'm a hungry Vampire :)

shaldna
05-19-2010, 04:03 PM
I can write anywhere and any time. Although I don't do it with the kids running around, not because I can't concentrate, but because I feel that I shouldn't, time writing is time I could be playing with them, so I don't write while I'm with them. I do it at work (don't we all) and after they go to bed.

Hedgetrimmer
05-19-2010, 04:37 PM
I prefer complete silence when I write, though if I'm at the park or something, a little background noise is okay. But no TV, no music, and definitely nobody running their mouth right next to me. It's the only way I can truly capture the voice in my head.

stormie
05-19-2010, 04:47 PM
I don't mind if there are people in the room as long as they're not talking to me. They can talk to each other, just not me
Exactly. I write best when people are around. But if they direct the conversation toward me or ask me a question, they have to talk to the hand.

BenPanced
05-19-2010, 05:10 PM
People have a nasty habit of talking to me, expecting me to answer, demanding that I pay them attention.

Blarg.

It's a very rare person who can sit in the same room with you and shut up. The best communication is silent. In my opinion anyway.

So most of the time I prefer to be alone. Even if you tell someone you're working, nine times out of ten they'll get in your face and pester you for conversation and all that sociable nonsense.
You busy? :poke:

Whatcha doin'? :e2poke:

:flamethrower
I don't mind being around groups of people when I'm writing -- hell, I love the coffee house experience -- but I do have my levels of noise tolerance, in general. If the music is too obnoxious or the shrieky children are too shrieky, I'll leave. Otherwise, if I'm writing at home, I'm out in the living room at my writing table with music on.

Madrye
05-19-2010, 05:23 PM
I need complete privacy. I keep the door to my study closed and when someone comes in, I lose my train of thought very quickly. While I get engaged with what I'm doing, interruptions tend to influence what I'm writing. This is the reason I get up at 4am and write for two hours before my family wakes up. The dogs aren't barking and the phone ain't ringing either. Bliss.

Cranky
05-19-2010, 06:00 PM

I will hurt you.

Badly.

Good gawd, I *hate* that. There isn't much more that creeps me out or makes me madder than someone trying to read over my shoulder while I'm writing.

I don't mind reading it to them, or letting them read it, but when people come up, unasked, peer over my shoulder and say, "Whatcha writing there?" I get murderous.

jennontheisland
05-19-2010, 06:06 PM
I can write with other people in the room. But if they talk to me they will likely not get a response. It's not because I ignore them; I just tune them out. The depth of that tuning comes and goes depending on how in the zone I am, but it will take at least two attempts to get any kind of response from me if I'm actually writing. (as opposed to distracting myself with forums and emails)

Carolanne Patton
05-19-2010, 07:21 PM
I have no problem writing with other people in the room, they just can't expect me to pay attention to them (no talking to me) and they can't look over my shoulder or I just might bite them. :evil

Margarita Skies
05-19-2010, 10:02 PM

:ROFL:

No one's ever done that to me before, but if they did I would punch them out. :D

Jadedinsc
05-20-2010, 12:34 AM
As long as no one needs to talk to me, I can write with other people in the room. I do even better if I've got my headphones on with some good music playing. However, I don't get as much writing when my son is home due to me getting up every few minutes to tend to something he needs (or cleaning up a mess he's made).

The other distractions are my pets. The "puppy" has somehow learned how to sit down and stare at me just right so that I feel compelled to turn and look at her. As soon as I make eye contact, she does this little yip/whine and starts furiously wagging her tail until I pet her and then ask her if she has to go outside. I don't understand how she does it because I'm usually the type who can really focus on what I'm doing and it takes noise to get my attention (i.e. a phone ringing), but she manages to do it in complete silence. The other dog just scratches at the door until I notice her.

On the days when this happens repeatedly, I sometimes lose my writing focus and have to give it up for that day, but usually it's not so bad and I can get right back to what I was doing.

Shadow_Ferret
05-20-2010, 12:54 AM

This.

Unfortunately, this isn't how my family works. Sometimes my wife will leave me be if she sees I'm writing, but the kids... It's just like what Ben posted.

"Dad! I need some water." Faucet's over there.

"Dad! I'm hungry!" Cabinet's over there.

"Dad! Brett's hitting me." Stop hitting Kurt.

"Dad!" Aaaargh! *turns off computer, pouts, and plays the martyr*

agentpaper
05-20-2010, 01:16 AM
This.

Unfortunately, this isn't how my family works. Sometimes my wife will leave me be if she sees I'm writing, but the kids... It's just like what Ben posted.

"Dad! I need some water." Faucet's over there.

"Dad! I'm hungry!" Cabinet's over there.

"Dad! Brett's hitting me." Stop hitting Kurt.

"Dad!" Aaaargh! *turns off computer, pouts, and plays the martyr*
This. But replace dad with mom. My DH will compl. ignore me when he's watching his animes, but then the kids are still awake, so I want to be with them. Then I put the kids to bed, go to my computer and then DH decides that since the kids are gone, HE wants the attention. UGH!! Seriously, sometimes, I want to get my own island and stay there until I finish writing.

Shadow_Ferret
05-20-2010, 01:31 AM
Seriously, sometimes, I want to get my own island and stay there until I finish writing.

I'll join you, you get the south side, I'll get the north side.

Paul
05-20-2010, 01:40 AM
Amazing the majority of response don't mind others.
I can't write if there's even a possibility of someone being in the same house.

Jamesaritchie
05-20-2010, 03:35 AM
I can't write if there's even a possibility of someone being in the same house.

You should probably avoid writing horror novels late at night.

Paul
05-20-2010, 03:46 AM
You should probably avoid writing horror novels late at night.

Well ghosts I don't mind.

Unless they're the 'Christmas Carol' type. Ugh

MGraybosch
05-20-2010, 04:33 AM
How important is privacy to you when you're writing? Are you someone (like me) that needs to be completely alone? Can you blot the other people out? Or do you prefer their presence? Does it make a difference if you know the people that are in the room with you?

I have two sets of Sennheiser headphones. One's a folding pair. I wear that when I'm willing to tolerate interruptions. The other set is the sort you might see worn in a recording studio. If you interrupt me while I'm wearing those, you'd better be my wife, you'd better be wearing something sexy, and you'd better be offering sex.