Walking the Line

Cathy writes

Registered
Reaction score
Okay... I'm new here but have a few questions that I don't mind saying I'm scared to ask. What does one do when their e-pub stops taking their e-mails and stops sending their royalty statments? I know to be careful about naming names or pointing fingers... And lets face it, hiring a lawyer for short e-books isn't something most of us can afford.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome to AW! Actually, those are very good questions to be asking.

Since you're not keen to name your publisher at this point, why not start at the Index and see if the publisher is listed? If it is, you can at least see what other folks have been saying about them.

You might also want to look at your contract. Is there a snail mail address? You could try sending a letter with some sort of tracking. Also check Writer Beware for more tips.

I hope that's of some help.

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
Okay... I'm new here but have a few questions that I don't mind saying I'm scared to ask. What does one do when their e-pub stops taking their e-mails and stops sending their royalty statments? I know to be careful about naming names or pointing fingers... And lets face it, hiring a lawyer for short e-books isn't something most of us can afford.
:welcome:

Welcome to AW, Cathy.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks here who can offer you some good advice. Depending on how this thread goes, one of the moderators may move it to the E-publishing Forum.

I can appreciate your reluctance to 'name names' at this point, but can I inquire if we are speaking about an e-publisher you signed a contract with or did you publish your book through a site like Fastpencil or Smashwords.

That would help as an indicator to start - just knowing if you are in a contract. Some of the folks here may have worked with these e-publishers and be familiar with the terms and conditions.

Is your problem concerned with your e-publisher's lack of communication and lack of royalty payment/statement or are there other concerns as well?

Last edited:

Cathy writes

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome to AW! Actually, those are very good questions to be asking.

Since you're not keen to name your publisher at this point, why not start at the Index and see if the publisher is listed? If it is, you can at least see what other folks have been saying about them.

You might also want to look at your contract. Is there a snail mail address? You could try sending a letter with some sort of tracking. Also check Writer Beware for more tips.

I hope that's of some help.

Thanks Julie... I'll jog over and look at these links. Naming names is a great way to have people wiggling their fingers at you... I want the rep as being professional no matter what happens.

Cathy writes

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Welcome to AW, Cathy.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks here who can offer you some good advice. Depending on how this thread goes, one of the moderators may move it to the E-publishing Forum.

I can appreciate your reluctance to 'name names' at this point, but can I inquire if we are speaking about an e-publisher you signed a contract with or did you publish your book through a site like Fastpencil or Smashwords.

That would help as an indicator to start - just knowing if you are in a contract. Some of the folks here may have worked with these e-publishers and be familiar with the terms and conditions.

Is your problem concerned with your e-publisher's lack of communication and lack of royalty payment/statement or are there other concerns as well?

I have other concerns... and yes, this is a e-publisher with a contract, nothing like Fastpencil.

Topaz044

Resident Zombie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.warofthesoulites.com
Hi Cathy, and welcome to AW.

One thing to keep in mind is that publishing is first and foremost a business. You're not here to make friends. If one side of the business is not holding up their end of the contract (the publisher) then it's your right to find out why and if necessary, terminate the contract. Trust me when I say that I've had bad contracts in the past, and I hurt myself more by keeping my mouth shut and letting them walk all over me then by actually speaking up.

However that being said this could be a simple communication problem. For example, their e-mail might not be working. I would advise you just to send a polite e-mail inquiring about the lack of communication. If they don't respond then send a snail letter, and courier it so you have a tracking number and proof that they got it. Keep in mind that they will require an ample amount of time to mail a response back to you. And if that doesn't work go through your contract and see what the terms and conditions are. I can't really guide you from there unless I see the contact itself, but I hope my advice helps. :) Above all else, be respectful and professional.

Cheers,
Natasha

Last edited: