PDA

View Full Version : AW Questions (how to join groups / how to check rep points)

ottomadenedamotto
05-18-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm not really sure if this goes here, but let's give it a shot...

-I can't find the "join group" button.
-I can't find other members' reputations.

I could really use a hand with this. Thanks in advance.

CheyElizabeth
05-18-2010, 09:42 PM
I don't know what you mean by join group.. if you're registered, then you're already a part of our whole group.

Also, I believe you can't see anyone else's reputation, just your own.

alleycat
05-18-2010, 09:49 PM
I assume you mean "see the number of someone's reputations under their name" (as is common on some forums). That function is turned off here (even though you can highlight the area under the word Posts and kind of see them). Here, reps are used for everything from applauding a good post, to just posting silly messages to one another, so how many reps someone has doesn't really matter.

ottomadenedamotto
05-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Sorry, maybe I should have been clearer. By group, I meant social group. There are several that I'd like to become a member of. Also, I read somewhere that you can see others' reputation.

CaroGirl
05-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Sorry, maybe I should have been clearer. By group, I meant social group. There are several that I'd like to become a member of. Also, I read somewhere that you can see others' reputation.
You can't see anyone's reputation points but your own. And I've never joined a social group on here.

I'm pretty much no help at all. I'll just go over here, where the useless hang out.

CaroGirl
05-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Oh, you can view people's reputation title, like "so-and-so is well-respected" or "so-and-so is so great we've run out of compliments." You view that by hovering the mouse pointer under the "P" in the word "Posts." A pop-up displays with their reputation title in it. Is that what you're asking?

Fran
05-18-2010, 09:55 PM
To join a group, click on your User CP, and you'll see a link there to Social Groups. :)

jvc
05-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Two threads you should read are the newbie guide (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315), and this thread. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28185) Both are located in the Newbie forum and will explain about reps and what all the buttons mean.

As for Social Groups, go to your User CP, in the link at the top left of every page. Once there, on the left hand side you will see various other links. Under Networking there is a link to the Social Groups. Just go through the list until you see one you want to join. Click on it and on the right hand side you will see the button to Join Group.

alleycat
05-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Go to your User CP (on the bar near the top of the page), then look over to the sidebar on the left and you'll see an option for "Social Group". That will show you what groups there are. You can then join whichever ones you like. However, social groups are relatively new here, and many of the groups aren't really very active.

Cella
05-18-2010, 09:58 PM
When AW went through "the change" a while back, I joined several social groups but I don't really think it means anything here. (I have no idea [I]how[I] I joined, though...)

Most people just tend to hang out in certain forums and that's how they get to know one another and stuff.

ottomadenedamotto
05-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Oh, you can view people's reputation title, like "so-and-so is well-respected" or "so-and-so is so great we've run out of compliments." You view that by hovering the mouse pointer under the "P" in the word "Posts." A pop-up displays with their reputation title in it. Is that what you're asking?

Do you mean where it says "posts" under "location" on the left? Because that's just plain text on my end. I'd really like to know how to do this.

jvc
05-18-2010, 10:12 PM
You really should read this thread. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28185) It explains everything.

CaroGirl
05-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Do you mean where it says "posts" under "location" on the left? Because that's just plain text on my end. I'd really like to know how to do this.
Yes. Exactly there. It's really tricky but you have position the mouse pointer in just the right spot under the P, hold it steady, steady, yes! It pops up. You're "on a distinguished road," in case you're interested.

And read the stickies. They'll tell you a lot.

ottomadenedamotto
05-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Okay, got it now. Thank you all for your help.

Medievalist
05-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Why is the number of points so blasted important to people?

You realize it's completely meaningless, right?

e11en
05-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Why is the number of points so blasted important to people?

You realize it's completely meaningless, right?

Well, it does tell you a bit about the person.

Like, for instance, me... I just have the TWO.

Medievalist
05-18-2010, 11:50 PM

You're talking about the Post count; the thread is talking about Reptuation points.

jvc
05-18-2010, 11:54 PM

I think you're thinking about the post counts as you have two posts so far ( :welcome: to the forums, btw :D ), and the thread is talking about the reputation points. A different kettle of fish.

ETA: Yep, what Medievalist said.

mirandashell
06-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Can I just ask how you reply to comments in Reps?

jvc
06-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Either by Private Message (PM) or you have to find a post that person made and send a rep comment back via that.

mirandashell
06-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Ah! thanks.

cindystubbs
06-08-2010, 09:46 PM
I love it that you can see how many times someone has posted. It gives you an insight into how invested they are in AW. A newbie or an oldie I guess