In a pickle

Status
Not open for further replies.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
I find my self in a pickle. Has anyone had this happen? And if so how did you handle it?
I’m writing a novel and I find that I’ve said all I want to. Alas, my word count is a mere 23k words. Clearly what I’ve got is a novella (just barely). My style (if I have one) is compact. I believe in an economy of words with the greatest impact. I’ve spent weeks researching my subject. I’ve read this thing many times. I’ve done my 5 senses checks. I’ve reviewed dialogues and scene structures (I draw diagrams for settings).

I have three novels in print yet I know nothing about novellas. I’ve never tried to sell a novella. Are they popular as single books? Brokeback Mountain’s 64 pages comes to mind. My work come in at about 85 pages. Are novellas more often found in anthologies of similar work? Is it necessary that the genre be the same in a given collection?

Moderator: If this post belongs in a different forum please move it. :)
If anyone has any ideas, I’m all eyes.
C

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Citymouse,

Yes! This is exactly what I'm going through!

I've written just over 30,000 words, and the climax has just climaxed. I had originally thought of a story line that would be a great sequel, and so I considered merging them--but that doesn't really work. The struggle in my novel starts on page one and ends where it ends, and trying to tack more to the end of that won't work.

So now I'm in subplot land. :)

Great thread, thanks for it!

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Monkey, I always write my first chapter and my last. In this case I arrived at the end way sooner than I thought. On one hand I'm disappointed. On the other I'm happy with the result. I just don't know what to do with it.

I thought of posting it on my website chapter by chapter as a freebie, however, the words of a writer friend echo in my brain, "It you feel your work is valuable. Don't give it away."
C

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
There is definately a market for novellas, and some of them do extremely well, especially in western and sci-fi genres.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I did something similar, Citymouse.

When this book was no more than a concept, before it was even fully outlined, I knew how it had to end. The whole scene played out in my head, and I knew some of the back story that would lead up to it. It was great, it was funny, and...it came way too soon. Writing past that point is no good. That's the end.

So now I'm going back and filling in, but honestly, most of what I did this morning is crap and will be taken back out again. I can maybe squeeze a little more into the story, but the problem is that time figures prominently, and I can't just add in more time somewhere in the middle, nor can I add more to the end without going past my climax point. So I'm stuck.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Monkey, perhaps you should ask yourself if you're happy with what you've got, ignoring the length.
I'm beginning to think that I'm letting myself get hung up on what I'm used to producing rather than what I've got in my hand. Mind you, It's not easy for me. I've also got two partial novels niggling to get finished. I don't want to short change my mini-opus for the sake of unfinished work. Grrrrrrrrr. Bangs head on desk!
C

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
My impression is that the novella is a bit of an orphan form. A few of the pro magazines will do them, but the huge space expenditure means they'll strongly favor well-established writers. Look in the "Don't send" lists of agents -- you'll often see the novella there. Anthologies might be another outlet. For most, I'd imagine the "well-established writer" criterion would also hold.

A collection of novellas? Maybe, though I don't see much difference between that and a collection of short stories, marketing-wise. Stephen King has put out some fine novella collections, like Four Past Midnight. Again, he's Stephen King.

So I guess I'd check out the periodicals/anthologies that will consider novellas and also publishers who consider them, then go the usual submission route.

I can't think of any sub-hundred page books that have hit it big of late. I was thinking The Christmas Box, which is actually around 130 pages. Brokeback Mountain was originally published in The New Yorker, then republished in a short story collection, Close Range. It was published again as a 64 page standalone book as an explicit tie-in to the movie (Nov. 2005). So, not an example of the novella standing on its own without extraordinary circumstances coming into play.

Reaction score
King's novellas are as big as other people's novels.

There's a definite market for shorter works in ebooks.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's over a hundred pages, but that's largely because of conversations and my habit of starting each new speaker on a new line.

I just went and took out everything I'd tried to wedge in, leaving me with 34,723 words, but I'm still not finished and there's a lot of editing to be done; some parts need to be filled in and others will, no doubt, need to be cut. The story will probably come in right around 40,000, too short for most agents.

Damn. I was really hoping that this one would be the one to land me an agent. I've had a bad experience with a small press and want to avoid small presses in the future. But maybe E-publishing will be the way to go with this one.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Anthologies mostly buy stories from established writers, but they sometimes take relative newcomers.

Reaction score
Well he writes thumping great doorstoppers. Have you seen "Under the Dome" (which, incidentally, always makes me think of the Simpsons movie)?

It's about eleventy bajillion pages long. I swear, the hardback could brain you if someone dropped it on your head.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
My husband came home, and I told him about the low-word count problem.

"Oh," he said, "Why not just put 'Book Two' and put a sequel along with it?"

I hadn't thought of that. I did have a sequel in mind for this book, back when I thought it would be about 40,000 words longer than it turned out. It's a direct continuation of the first, starting only days later.

I've seen quite a few fantasy novels divided into "books" this way, but what do you guys think? Would that be agentable? Or should I just finish this as a novella, forget the sequel, and start my next project?

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
I deliberately ended this WIP sso that it can't generate a sequel. So in that regard I'm stuck.
My three novels in print (one's been out for almost 10 years) are a series. That's a two edge sword. I feel that I heed to keep my characters and story lines going but it's a confining effort. That's why I made a departure from them. It didn't work out quite the way I expected.
Like the man says, "Experience is what you get when what you got isn't what you wanted."
C

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
Speaking as someone whose first story was done at 19K, and the next one finished out at 36K, I second the e-publishing suggestion.

Your story will probably be priced according to its length, and from what I can tell digging through anecdotes and the occasional sales numbers, the two to three dollar price point actually results in more sales than full length books might get. (Ask me about that in a year - by then I will have some first hand knowledge!)

In print a novella feels thin and light, and though it costs nearly as much to produce as a more typical length book, people feel ripped off if you price it according to its production cost.

On an e-reader, heft doesn't matter - all that counts is that the story has a beginning, middle, and end.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Kathleen,

I hadn't thought of the pricing angle. That's a good point.

After my bad experience with a small press, I decided that from that point forward if a novel wasn't good enough to snag an agent, I didn't want it published under my name. Because of that, I haven't looked into e-publishing at all.

I guess I'll be spending some time in B,R&BC and at Predators and Editors over the next few weeks, and seriously considering e-publishing for the first time.

:)

Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
Well he writes thumping great doorstoppers. Have you seen "Under the Dome" (which, incidentally, always makes me think of the Simpsons movie)?

It's about eleventy bajillion pages long. I swear, the hardback could brain you if someone dropped it on your head.

Holy cow, you were absolutely right! I am looking at it on Amazon.com right now and it's 1,074 pages long!!

I looked at It and it's...holy cow, 1,104 pages! I'm considering buying these books and other King books because I'm a big fan, but I reckon it's going to take me a long time to finish reading them! Phew!

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
For the first time in years, I'm lost on AW.

Wow. Any tips on how to find an e-publisher that takes women's fic with a twist of humor?

ETA: I just remembered the index to publishers at the top of B,R,&BC. :e2smack:

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Holy cow, you were absolutely right! I am looking at it on Amazon.com right now and it's 1,074 pages long!!

I looked at It and it's...holy cow, 1,104 pages! I'm considering buying these books and other King books because I'm a big fan, but I reckon it's going to take me a long time to finish reading them! Phew!

That's nothing. Try Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy: 1500 pages!

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow!! That is incredible. If a novella for him is a novel for us, what would a novel for him be, an epic?

I'm not sure "big fan" means what you think it means, if you were unaware of the length (even roughly) of King's novels...

Status
Not open for further replies.