Status
Not open for further replies.

WriteRead

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
dan-skies.blogspot.com
In line w my intended posts about the hurricane season in my place, SW FL, I am able to tell y'all that the wind is playing w the trees, already, here, and the only imp issue for us, thank God, is the flood danger, b/c Katrina may change into a heavily raining Tropical Storm when crossing the west coast of the peninsula into the Gulf.

The big q, the 64K$ q, as the meteorologists here say, is what will she do when hitting the warm waters of the Gulf again, very good feeders for it. Will she make a sharp angle into inland, or will go north into the panhandle?

We didn't shutter the windows, but I'll put batteries in the portable TV, in the weather radio and the flashlights.

I'm worried about the stray kittens whom we feed, a few mths old. They will be scared to death by the strong wind gusts.

I'll keep you posted, guys. Hold us all fingers,

Dan

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I just emailed my brother and his fiancee and received a reply. They've battened down the hatches just in case. Since last hurricane season, they bought a generator. Supposedly all they will be getting is heavy rains, but like you said. Who knows?

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Take care WriteRead, and please do be careful. You know I'm in Minnesota now, and being from Louisiana I often get teased about the hurricane season. That is because I tease them about all the cold and dang ole' snow that falls every year.

I learned actually today from a co-worker on a conference call that Miami was threatened by Katrina. I didn't know and hadn't heard anything from home about it. You and I both know that Louisiana hasn't been hit in quite a while. I do feel for you Floridians. Please be safe.

WriteRead

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
dan-skies.blogspot.com
Local Update as of 11:00 AM, today

The gods of weather and its offspring, the hurricanes, spared us, here, in SW FL. It's just unbelievable how incredibly unpredictable from a moment to the next, a hurricane, and for that matter, the weather, can be.

The winds are visible in the bushes and trees sway, but not strong, really and the kittens did just right. I gave them some dry food after midnight, just to comfort them, but this morning they seemed to be rather unrattled, playing around w each other.

The hurricane slid to the SW in its course from E to W across the peninsula, in a shape of a big bowl in which middle, upward, we are located. Now where it will go from there, while over the Gulf, on warm waters, the feeder of this critter, is the big q. It will (certainly?) be a one-two punch, if it hits the panhandle, and by then it might be a strengthened hurricane b/c of its travel over the Gulf.

As of now, there are another two depressions coming to us from Africa, which may be the next ones. Don't open your fingers, yet, guys, we need you!

The Hurricaned Dan

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
WriteRead said:
In line w my intended posts about the hurricane season in my place, SW FL, I am able to tell y'all that the wind is playing w the trees, already, here, and the only imp issue for us, thank God, is the flood danger, b/c Katrina may change into a heavily raining Tropical Storm when crossing the west coast of the peninsula into the Gulf.

The big q, the 64K$ q, as the meteorologists here say, is what will she do when hitting the warm waters of the Gulf again, very good feeders for it. Will she make a sharp angle into inland, or will go north into the panhandle?

We didn't shutter the windows, but I'll put batteries in the portable TV, in the weather radio and the flashlights.

I'm worried about the stray kittens whom we feed, a few mths old. They will be scared to death by the strong wind gusts.

I'll keep you posted, guys. Hold us all fingers,

Dan

We don't know about hurricanes in Europe and you know, I never thought of what was happenining to strayed housepets! The kittens! And birds? Now I must say animals has the knack of 'knowing' the weather days in advance. Birds probably migrate before they are blown away. The kittens? They'd crawl into holes and stuff but if buildings drop on the entrances of the holes... I once heard of cows blown some 200 meters into the air. Well one just can't imagine!

WriteRead

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
dan-skies.blogspot.com
Yeah, pets can be and are a "problem". We have shelters here, in case people need it, and there are some who won't allow you in w pets, and some who do allow it, a few only, very few.

By association, when the Israelis (I'm from Isr, so I am int'ed in all of it, natcherly)were evacuated from the Gaza Strip and the four West Bank settlements, some left behind, shamefully, their pets, dogs, cats, birds, an iguana, even, and the Army had to collect them. Some volunteer orgs take care of them, now, for adoption or just caring for them.

Dan

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
e

Really? Some years ago? We had a 'storm' here several years ago! I saw how the neighbour's roof collapsed in it. Ok his was an old dilapidated house but still. It was spectacular. Maybe it was the one you refer to who'd come say hello in Belgium too. Smile!

But you know, I actually love the sounds wind makes. Ok hurry k's are different I imagine.

Last edited:

Zonk

Registered
Reaction score
Hi WriteRead :)

My son, my mother-in-law, and my sister-in-law all live in Fort Liquordale...so thankful that you, along with them, were spared the brunt of the storm.

Aside to aspier: a hurricane really is different - saw one chicken at the chicken farm here in the last hurricane, poor thing backed up into the wind and laid the same egg three times...

:D:D:D

WriteRead

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
dan-skies.blogspot.com
I apologize for not thanking you at first. I was so taken w your Liquortown and the multiple eggs-laying hen, that I overlooked it.

So, thanked be and bless you all!

BIIIIIIG grin!!

Dan

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I've been through two major hurricanes...Fran in 1996 and Floyd in 1999...Floyd went through our small town. It seems if a Hurricane hits Florida or somewhere on the Gulf Coast we get it too...(I'm in North Carolina)

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
And so hurricane season is upon us! My in-laws live in Florida, as do my brother, his finacee and most of her family. I also have several aunts & cousins here and there across the state.

I am shocked at how the property values continue to rise so dramatically! My brother bought a house in Cocoa Beach...a month later (last year) the roof was destroyed by a hurricane. He sold that house a few months after that (not even a year into the mortgage, mind you) and made a hefty profit - almost double what he paid for it in the first place. He didn't even have to put the house on the market. The buyer literally came to him asking to buy it before it was in the MLS, with no sign in the yard either!

I'm trying to figure out what the staggering drawing power of the hurricane state is!

(I love Florida, really. I would just be scared to live on either of the coasts)

WriteRead

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
dan-skies.blogspot.com
I am so glad it spared us, here, in SW FL, but I feel a bit egoistic to say so, b/c others will be hit, but this is nature's will and its master, God.

Houses are hopping in value all around here, too. it's just crazy, unbelievable how much the prices upped.

I live in the 5th town in the nation in growth rate, so how wouldn't it be so?

Dan

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Well, I just got my power back...stupid Katrina took it along with several trees in my front yard. No one hurt, no damage to the home, thankfully. It was much worse than anyone in these parts (South Dade) anticipated. Many people in the area still have no power and there are some really big trees that came down, some which had even survived Hirricane Andrew (it was 'cause of all the rain--15 inches in my local).

Gotta go make firewood.

Rob :)

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, sorry about the trees and power, but glad you and yours are ok!!!!

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
I just heard from my mom this afternoon that Katrina is headed toward Louisiana. I haven't watched the news yet, but that is incredible. Last I heard it was around your way WriteRead and then it slipped into the Gulf. Now it's headed toward the New Orleans/Baton Rouge area, which is where I'm from. Now you know I'm worried 'bout my folks!

The weather is beautiful here in Minneapolis. Oh by the way this is off topic, but I went to the Mall of America today and I swear I either saw Jenna's twin or it was her in the flesh at Bubba Gumps Seafood Restaurant.

Wormo

Getting By
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I'm on holiday in Kissimmee at the moment, and it came right during my golf game! PORQUE!?!?

Other than that, I think it's made a nice curve around us as we've had little rain all week

WriteRead

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
dan-skies.blogspot.com
For Vanessa

I remember you said that you're from NO and I wanted to wish you and your dear ones much good luck and make sure you all take care as much as possible and stay safe.
Good luck.

BTW, I plan a trip to the Big Easy at Xmas time, for a wk. All is already set and scheduled w reservations. We'll drive up there.

Another BTW: I installed the Firefox. Read my post about it in IE crash, in Tech.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.