PDA

View Full Version : Odd Question

DeleyanLee
05-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Is the Christian Bible in public domain?

aadams73
05-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Some versions are, some aren't. The King James version is definitely public domain.

http://www.biblegateway.com/help/faq/?id=2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Domain_Resource#Christianity

I hope you find that helpful. :)

PeterL
05-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Except for a few recent versions, it is public domain.

crazynance
05-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Use it everywhere! Just remember to quote your source.. Verse is good but not necessary, Chapter is recommended. The apostles did not usually even quote the book, just saying, "It is written.." I guess everyone knew the reference.
:D <3 my Bible, <3<3 the Author.

DeleyanLee
05-18-2010, 05:26 PM
That's what I thought.

Thanks!

Kenny
05-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Some versions are, some aren't. The King James version is definitely public domain.

http://www.biblegateway.com/help/faq/?id=2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Domain_Resource#Christianity

I hope you find that helpful. :)

The KJV or the AV is not in public domain here in the UK it's copyrighted to the crown forever. I would quote from the start of the bible but it's buried here somewhere.

shaldna
05-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Unabridged/unadapated/unedited/unannotated versions are PD.

DeleyanLee
05-18-2010, 08:40 PM
The KJV or the AV is not in public domain here in the UK it's copyrighted to the crown forever. I would quote from the start of the bible but it's buried here somewhere.

Makes sense, since the crown commissed the KJV.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the AV?

AZ_Dawn
05-18-2010, 09:49 PM
If you need a Catholic version, the Douay-Rheims translation is definitely public domain.

DeleyanLee
05-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Actually, I had a flash about Jesus being the hero of an Edgar Rice Burroughs saga and that question popped into my head.

My mind is a very dangerous place to be sometimes.

SirOtter
05-19-2010, 01:45 AM
Actually, I had a flash about Jesus being the hero of an Edgar Rice Burroughs saga and that question popped into my head.

My mind is a very dangerous place to be sometimes.

Hmmmm.... instead of Jesus descending into Hell between crucifiction and Resurrection, we have...

Jesus At the Earth's Core! Spreading love and harmony among the Pellucidarians!

Waiting for that lightning bolt...

RJK
05-19-2010, 01:53 AM
Jesus as an action hero? :Shrug: I'm trying to figure what comic book he'd fit into.

Superman? no, he's from another planet
Batman? he had a cape, but didn't have a utility belt.
Fantastic Four? no he was definitely a trio
The Flash? he rode donkeys. He really wasn't known as a runner.
Aquaman? he walked ON the water not in it, but he did multiple the fishes.

I don't think he'd work out as an action hero. He was way to peaceful.

RobinGBrown
05-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Check out 'Battle Pope' by Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore.

DrZoidberg
05-19-2010, 12:02 PM
If I remember my comic book history, Superman is based on the Jewish mythic Golem.

shaldna
05-19-2010, 12:33 PM
If I remember my comic book history, Superman is based on the Jewish mythic Golem.

You did remember correctly.

I don't know if he was based on Golem, but the Superman story is very rich in Jewish symbolism and mythology.

DeleyanLee
05-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Jesus as an action hero? :Shrug: I'm trying to figure what comic book he'd fit into.

You've never read Burroughs, I take it.

He didn't write action heroes. His stories were more like a Edwardian sword-and-sorcery/men's adventure than what we think of as action heroes. And he wrote books, not comics. Though at least one of his characters was translated (my father always said "bastardized") into comics, TV and movies, none of the translations were true to the character and world ERB created.

ERB's heroes were always noble (as in the attitude, not necessarily the social rank) gentlemen who, by some manner, gets deposited into a strange world where he must fit in or die. His skills (best swordsman, etc) are the best they can be and serve him well, as does his ability to learn language quickkly and figure out the social expectations needed. He makes good friends, he makes bad enemies, he finds one woman whom he loses his heart completely to and who won't give him the time of day on their first meeting but he's utterly loyal to despite all temptation.

In time, he's changing the world by exposing and weeding out the corrupt, shining the spotlight on the hidden virtues of the world, and establishing a better place through his efforts. And, eventually, winning the heart and hand of his true love.

Seems a perfect fit to me, honestly. I wish I could write it. I really do.