OMG, it's happened. ebooks...the last frontier.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I was going to find some quotes around the Cooler where I lambasted e-publishing...but then I figured, 'everybody will remember how foursquare against it I was. I always said, 'not me! bricks and mortar for me!'

Guess what...I'm buying e-books. That's right. I bought 3 in the past month. It didn't hurt.

e-readers are fabulous. is this how it happens? one dead-set against the e-industry just has to try it to like it?

I'm just wondering if there are others like me here? Any of you who were ranting and raving against e-pubs and are now buying them regularly?

I'll say this now...I will never stop buying in-the-hand paper books. Never. But I've opened up to the e-pub world. You won't hear me dissing it again.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I have to admit that I like paper versions for pure appearances.

Although I love the idea of being able to carry about lots of books with me, and I have been thinking of getting an e reader.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I fight EVERYTHING when it comes to technology. I said I would never own a cell phone...then I got one about 2 or 3 years ago and I now live by it!

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
E-books are a fad, like television and 'lectricity

Reaction score
I buy shitloads every week. I swear, this ereader was supposed to save me money. My arse it is.

The way of the future!

Nothing like flicking through a 'real' book and smelling that ink and paper though.

Won't hear me complaining about ebooks anyway, that's for sure. They put food on my table. :D

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My husband, the technology geek, desperately wants to buy me a Kobo. Is resistance futile? Should I just get one and get it over with?

Tell me, o wise one.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My husband, the technology geek, desperately wants to buy me a Kobo. Is resistance futile? Should I just get one and get it over with?

Tell me, o wise one.

A fellow traveler in Kenya had an e-reader. I think it was Sony??? Can't recall...anyway...I took one look at it and I was in love! Resistance is futile. Once you hold one in your hand it all starts to make sense. All those books and no extra baggage charge! It's amazing. It's something I can take with me to the doctor's office, the hockey practice, etc. When at home, I'll stick to paper...but it's so convenient!

Reaction score
The only problem is carrying hundreds of books with you and deciding which one to read next.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
A fellow traveler in Kenya had an e-reader. I think it was Sony??? Can't recall...anyway...I took one look at it and I was in love! Resistance is futile. Once you hold one in your hand it all starts to make sense. All those books and no extra baggage charge! It's amazing. It's something I can take with me to the doctor's office, the hockey practice, etc. When at home, I'll stick to paper...but it's so convenient!
Yup. That's about what I thought.

I saw one on the bus once and was fascinated, but I didn't get to hold it in my hands (given it was owned by a complete stranger). If I'd held it, it probably would've been game over right then.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yup. That's about what I thought.

I saw one on the bus once and was fascinated, but I didn't get to hold it in my hands (given it was owned by a complete stranger). If I'd held it, it probably would've been game over right then.

That's the thing...if you would have asked, I'm betting they would have said, "Sure! Check it out!" They love them...and they love sharing the fascination. I saw strangers sharing them before...at the airport. Pretty lively conversation, too.

Reaction score
I was in the pharmacist's the other day, waiting on my drugs (legal ones!) and the chemist came over to the seating area and said, "Um...what is that?"

And we had the 'share the ereader love' conversation.

Bit of a problem when a stranger realises you're reading erotica, but hey...I'm a pervert.

She probably thought, "That's what gives her migraines, hence the need for medication."

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
That's the thing...if you would have asked, I'm betting they would have said, "Sure! Check it out!" They love them...and they love sharing the fascination. I saw strangers sharing them before...at the airport. Pretty lively conversation, too.
No doubt. But I's too shy.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
I've wanted an e-reader since before they were invented, ie Star Trek. I find the whole concept of physical media hopelessly backward. I always did.

When they finally came last year, I didn't think the models were quite good enough, so I waited. With Sony's PRS-600, this year, I finally felt that technology has caught up with my (rampant) imagination. It's just perfect. I read on it everyday. One of the best things I ever bought. It's just perfect. Especially for authors, since I can make notes on the touch pad.

If I sound like a fanboy, it's because I am. If there's an epithet for an anti-Luddite, it'd be me. I love the death of old habits and traditions, die, die, die :)

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
KTC;4965017 I'll say this now...I will never stop buying in-the-hand paper books. Never. But I've opened up to the e-pub world. You won't hear me dissing it again.[/QUOTE said:
I'm not surprised. :)

I'm just going to say this--I was given a Kindle as a gift a yr ago, and when I look at how drastically it has changed my buying and reading habits (and I mean drastically, as in for the better, and not just me but my husband as well who hears about books on NPR and now doesn't think twice about going onto MY Kindle and downloading everything because he Wants. It. Now. Sinking us deeper into poverty...) and my expectations and desires regarding books--I'm apalled and shocked that people even argue about this stuff anymore. :O I have read more, bought more, and found more new authors in this last yr than my whole lifetime. It has been glorious.

I love my e-reader to the point of obsession. All I want to read, whatever I want to read, when I want it. In any size font of my choosing so my poor old eyes can read in comfort. Yes. I love it. They will pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Last edited:

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I've been resisting because none of the readers on the market really blow me away yet, plus prices are still too steep for me to bother. But I find this interesting:

Joe Konrath's Amazon deal

I'm really curious to see how this affects things.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I've been resisting because none of the readers on the market really blow me away yet, plus prices are still too steep for me to bother. But I find this interesting:

Joe Konrath's Amazon deal

I'm really curious to see how this affects things.
Nathan gave a positive review to the Kobo on his blog recently that made me consider getting one of those. I think that's the one I'm going to go for, unless someone convinces me otherwise.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I have an ipod touch (which I love btw!) and it has all sorts of books on it. Some of the books from my church such as scriptures and other materials even have audio which is awesome especially late at night. I can't read in the bath with it, afraid I'll kill it so paperbacks are still priceless for that, but it is nice just exiting the program and when you reopen it's right where you left off.

I love paperbacks for certain reasons and I love ebooks for certain reasons. They each fill different needs.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
Just this thing that there's a button that I can press to make the font bigger.... I mean... who wants books anymore?!? The search function!

SadieCass

Queen of Trauma Drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorsarahcass.com
My husband got me the Nook for valentines day. It's been dangerous to our bank account. I think my husband forgets that we have to pay for the books he finds.

Yeah...he bought it FOR ME...guess who uses it 95% of the time? The jerk takes it to work with him!

To be fair all I have to do is say "mine" and I get it back for a day :)

Anyway...I wanted one FOREVER. I've loved it. Yes, I still love the feel of a book in my hands, but this puppy is aMAZing. So many books and it fits in my purse. I have to take my youngest daughter to the doctor all the time for her medical issues and I'm no longer lugging tons of books around. Slip my e-reader in my purse and I'm good to go. I can get classics for free, costs of new releases are far more reasonable (not paying for hardcovers)...and they have decently priced books all over the place.

Nowadays the Nook has a feature that you can read ANY ebook free for an hour per day. Way to test out new books see if you want to purchase them, find new authors. Plus it now has web access (minimal, but efficient) and games on it all for free - and don't forget I can e-lend books for two weeks to friends if I want.

My Nook is my (and my husband's) new best friend. I scoffed at them when the Kindle first came out. Now I rave about my e-reader to all that will listen. Some scoff - others see my point ;)