PDA

View Full Version : Why not "seeking *your* representation"?

glion
05-18-2010, 01:07 AM
Somebody please set me straight here.

I frequently see queries with the phrase "seeking representation," or some variation thereof, but would it not be more proper to write "seeking your representation?" I understand that one might write "I am seeking representation" with a general sense of intent, but if you are personalizing your query, it seems to me you would write "your representation." No?

CheyElizabeth
05-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Good point.

I don't use the phrase at all in my queries, it's just stating the obvious. I woudln't be sending a query if I wasn't seeking representation.

Mishell
05-18-2010, 07:56 AM
I am with CheyElizabeth. I have so much to say in so little space I generally skip anything that can be assumed. :)

I start with something like "My 100,000 word fantasy novel, FANTASYNOVEL, concerns a young maincharacter who..." blah.

Maryn
05-18-2010, 04:35 PM
I interpret it this way. Since the author is writing Ms. Agent personally, the 'your' is understood. They're seeking representation, yes, and writing to you to see if you'll provide it.

Maryn, who's got no problem with the missing word

scarletpeaches
05-18-2010, 04:39 PM
I don't write anything like that at all. Why else would I be contacting them other than to seek representation?

Danthia
05-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Because you're not seeking only that one agent's representation. You're "seeking" it from a number of places, and that agent is one of them.

Jamesaritchie
05-18-2010, 11:28 PM
If you have to write anything like that, you've already gone wrong. Agents are not stupid. They know why you're sending them a query.

It's like submitting a short story with a cover letter that says. "I am seeking to have this published."

Well, duh!

Now, if you aren't seeking representation, or you don't want to have a submitted story, you should definitely explain. Otherwise, you're just adding unnecessary, and pretty darned annoying, words.

DeleyanLee
05-18-2010, 11:41 PM
Am I the only one who gets a picture of a smarmy guy saying, "I want YOUR representation"?

Just checkin'

Cyia
05-19-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm seeking representation. Someone represent me! You, another agent, someone! If you don't like it, pass it along. Represent me right now!

Smish
05-19-2010, 12:06 AM
I agree with the others who have said not to mention that you're seeking representation in the query letter. Agents don't spend a lot of time reading queries. So, you need to every single word count.