PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on Synopsis

Ridley
05-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Hello, I know a published author who wants to read my synopsis so he can pass it on to agents that might be interested... How do I write a good synopsis? I know it needs to be 'gripping' and hold their interest just like my book, but what information do I include, and where? How long should it be? (my book is 55,000 in length), How can I 'sell' my book in the synopsis? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Bufty
05-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Hello, I know a published author who wants to read my synopsis so he can pass it on to agents that might be interested... How do I write a good synopsis? I know it needs to be 'gripping' and hold their interest just like my book, but what information do I include, and where? How long should it be? (my book is 55,000 in length), How can I 'sell' my book in the synopsis? Any tips would be much appreciated.

A strangely worded first sentence, but I wish you luck.

Do make sure your story is finished and the manuscript fully revised and polished to the absolute best you can make it before seeking an Agent, be it through a contact or not. No one is in a hurry to see it.

Have a browse here - http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174

Stanmiller
05-18-2010, 05:33 PM

R,
A synopsis is a plot summary. The agent wants to see if the plot hangs together. Try for the same voice (style of writing) used in the book. The synopsis does not 'sell'. You do your marketing pitch in the query letter. Take a look at the Share Your Work forums and read the stickies in Query Letter Hell.

If you have an outline, that will serve as the base for the S. If not, take a look at each chapter and write a one word sentence to describe what happens in that chapter.

Now that you have a base, connect all the sentences together. Smooth the transitions. Use all caps for the title and the first time you use a character's name.

Try for two pages, double-spaced. With judicious editing, that length will let you use the same S for single page (single-spaced with extra line at the paragraph breaks) as well as two page. If the agent want a three page S, just add a bit more detail.

The usual request these days is for single page, single spaced.

And one thing that's very important. No secrets are allowed in the synopsis. Tell all.

--Stan

Bufty
05-18-2010, 05:44 PM
And don't try and cover everything everybody does. Concentrate upon the main plot thread.

Danthia
05-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Here's a link (http://storyflip.blogspot.com/2009/04/sum-of-parts.html) with a breakdown of how to write a synopsis.

Jamesaritchie
05-18-2010, 11:29 PM
I understand a published writer who thinks enough of your work to pass it along to his current agent, but it makes no sense at all to have anyone else pass along your manuscript to agents.