Grammar Help, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrs75

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistisandefur.com
I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this question or not, but it seemed to be the best place. Feel free to move it if need be. While I'm on this subject, I'd like to offer a suggestion, how about a board where writers can post grammar questions such as this? Just a suggestion :)

Now, for my grammar question. I'm a bit stumped, and I need your help, please. I'm writing a short fiction piece, and I'm writing it using past tense. With this one sentence I need help with a past tense word. Here let me do it this way:

The sentence is, "Everything was still fresh on her mind when she begun typing her e-mail".

My question, and again, I'm writing in past tense - keep this in mind when answering. Is begun the correct word for past tense? If it is not what would be the word you would use here if you were writing in past tense?

Thank you in advance.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd use *began*, but the professional English manglers may have another idea.

(JK, you Master's and PhD's - just kidding.)

I think *begun* needs the helping verb - she has begun, I have begun...

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Began. "Begun" belongs with "had".

She had just begun typing her e-mail when she heard a knock on the door.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or you could just rewrite the sentence as "She had begun typing her e-mail while everything was still fresh on her mind." and forget the whole thing! :)

ac

ccgriggs

I can help

I could copyedit your entire manuscript (for free). Because I'm trying to build up my portfolio, I'm freelancing for free right now! But don't worry, I'm a former professional newspaper journalist and have a degreee in Professional Writing. If you interested, e-mail me at [email protected] and we'll chat.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
How about saying 'started' instead?

Like so: "Everything was still fresh on her mind when she started typing her e-mail".

Or maybe even: "She started typing her e-mail while everything was still fresh in her mind."

:)

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Anne's got the right approach. Rather than get hung up on a question like this, just write your way around it.

That's probably good advice for everyone.

mrs75

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistisandefur.com
I'd like to thank everyone for the responses. This story ended up taking a different turn and this sentance got cut. However, I do still thank everyone for the replies, and I will know in the future if it comes up again.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
"Began" is simple past tense. "Had begun" is past perfect, and not the right choice.

Sometimes looking for another choice is a good bet, but an even better bet is to learn how to get it right. When you try writing around grammar, trouble ensues. The phrase you think is best should always be used, an dyou can't allow grammar lapses to replace your first choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.