PDA

View Full Version : Medical advice needed please - OBGYN related

herbchick
05-17-2010, 02:03 AM
My seventeen-year-old female character was four months pregnant, pushed down the stairs and lost the baby. She went to the hospital and had a D&C and was resting in her bed. I need her to stay in the hospital for a couple of days and would like her to start hemorrhaging but don't know how she could do that, medically speaking. It would also be nice for her to lose an ovary over this. Or maybe an infection. I need some stakes here.

Wow, that sounds so terrible as I type it out. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks so much, I rep my thanks :)

OneWriter
05-17-2010, 03:50 AM
If she's going to lose an ovary, then probably you want an ectopic pregnancy... Depending on where the embryo attaches they would take out the ovary and/or tube, I think. But then she would be hemorrhaging and miscarrying spontaneously, not because of a fall...
If she is seventeen and trying to hide her pregnancy, it might still work: she wouldn't be seeking medical attention (a doctor would diagnose an ectopic pregnancy very early), but at some point you would have her experience terrible cramps with or without spotting.
Not sure a fall alone would inflict the damage you are seeking.

Elizabeth Holloway
05-17-2010, 04:17 AM
Labor and delivery nurse here.:hi:

In the hospital where I work, we don't keep our D&C patients for more than a couple of hours. The D&C is performed as a treatment to STOP and/or prevent hemorrhaging. The only thing that I can think that would possibly cause her to stay a few days would be if during the D&C, the surgeon accidentally perforated the uterus and needed to do an abdominal incision to repair the damage. Now, depending on where the perforation occurred, it could damage an ovary. Any surgery has a risk of infection, so you have that, but usually an infection isn't detected for a day or two.

PM me if you have any more questions that you think I can answer. :)