PDA

View Full Version : What character did you ever want to become?

Ton Lew Lepsnaci
05-16-2010, 10:24 PM
There's a recent thread called "would you turn", asking if anyone would turn vampire if they could. In general:

Identifying with a character of a work to the point of wanting to become the character seems the ultimate compliment to the work.

So, are there any volunteers out there to become characters they loved to read about?

Fess up you rabbits from Watership Down, Hitch Hikers of the galaxy (seriously?) etc.

SirOtter
05-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Doc Savage

Jersey Chick
05-16-2010, 10:57 PM
When I was a kid, I wanted to be Honey Wheeler from the Trixie Belden Mysteries. She was rich, she was pretty, she got to solve mysteries, and the cutest guy in the group (Trixie's older brother Brian) adored her. She had everything.

Now? I don't know. I'd have to think about that.

PEBKAC
05-17-2010, 12:08 AM
Biff from Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff Christ's Childhood Pal

I think it would be fun to pal around with Christ on his various adventures.

Matera the Mad
05-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Menolly, from Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsinger series. Odd, because I usually identify better with (and write) male characters. It's the music. And I have a crush on Sebell.

Shadow_Ferret
05-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Tarzan. Conan. Doc Savage. The Shadow.

cameron_chapman
05-17-2010, 05:11 AM
Dagny Taggart from Atlas Shrugged. I would seriously love her life for so many reasons!

thothguard51
05-17-2010, 05:16 AM
Travis McGee...

Annayna
05-17-2010, 05:17 AM
I'd be the mortal that two vampires fought over.. Vampire Diaries !

thothguard51
05-17-2010, 05:19 AM
Menolly, from Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsinger series. Odd, because I usually identify better with (and write) male characters. It's the music. And I have a crush on Sebell.

I loved Menolly, but thought Sebell was a dork. I prefered Lord Jasom and his white dragon...

Rhoda Nightingale
05-17-2010, 07:36 AM
Sunshine. From Sunshine. Cinnamon rolls by day, vampire lover by night? Hells yeah. I'd be ALL over that.

kaitiepaige17
05-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Katniss from Hunger Games. Sure, she's trying to be offed through the whole book, but she's one badass with a bow and arrow ;)

CAWriter
05-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Harriet the Spy

S.J.
05-17-2010, 11:28 AM
I used to want to be Matilda. Then, I wanted to be Lyra from The Northern Lights/Golden Compass. After that, I grew out of wanting to be characters... I think. Maybe it's because horrible things happen to most of them. :)

MissMacchiato
05-17-2010, 11:29 AM
When I was a kid, I wanted to be Honey Wheeler from the Trixie Belden Mysteries. She was rich, she was pretty, she got to solve mysteries, and the cutest guy in the group (Trixie's older brother Brian) adored her. She had everything.

Now? I don't know. I'd have to think about that.

Omg, did she really end up with brian?!

haha, I had almost forgotten about that series! awesome!

Hmm... who would I choose? it's really difficult to say. I read a lot of romance, and some of those characters would be great to get to be, but most of them have some pretty awful stuff happen to them prior to the whole rugged-hero-with-a-rock-solid-jaw bizzo.

Sooooo.... Maybe Elizabeth Anne "Betsy" Taylor from the Undead and Unwed series? she gets to have hot mind reading vamp sex with Eric sinclair!

or, hmm. That's actually surprisingly difficult to answer!

I will think on it and get back to you!

Regan Leigh
05-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Alice in Wonderland would be cool. :)

Varthikes
05-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Menolly, from Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsinger series.

Me, too. Though, I would have to undergo a sex change.

I didn't want to actually become him, but for a while I've wanted to be in Cheelo Montoya's place when he met Desvandapur in Alan Dean Foster's Phylogenesis.

Celia Cyanide
05-17-2010, 05:43 PM
I love Batman, and I want to live in Gotham!

Phaeal
05-17-2010, 06:40 PM
I'd love to be as sweetly arch and socially unflappable as Elizabeth Bennet...

As brilliant and capable as Dagny Taggart (second vote!)...

As courageous as Eowyn...

As magical as Jonathan Strange...

As alluring and popular and artistic as Amy March (I've always been Jo down to the last quirk, so of course I'd want the opposite)...

And Alec Ramsey from the Walter Farley books, because he got to ride all those great horses...

RedRajah
05-17-2010, 07:54 PM
As a child, I wanted to be Turtle Wexler from "The Westing Game". Smart, snarky and competent at the stock market? Sign me up!

AceTachyon
05-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Conan. Silk/Prince Kheldar.

Libbie
05-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Fess up you rabbits from Watership Down, Hitch Hikers of the galaxy (seriously?) etc.

Oh, you got me! I wanted to be Bigwig in a serious way ever since I was a little kid. I've always loved that character's stoicism, bravery, and gruffness.

Would it creep the world out very much if I admit that I want to be, in certain respects, just like Humbert Humbert? I certainly do not want to rape or even be attracted to children -- fortunately I am not attracted to children, hooray! But I've always loved that character's mesmerizing persona, his cleverness, and his whole-hearted, beautiful expression of his passions. It's just that his passions are deplorable.

I guess I'd also really like to be Petyr Baelish from A Song of Ice and Fire. So subtle, yet so in control. Of everything.

I'm going to stop now. I'm not painting a good picture of myself!

nutbird
05-18-2010, 02:00 AM
Oh, I'd love to be Angua in Terry Pratchett's Discworld! She's gorgeous, a werewolf, and has Carrot, the hottest man in the multiverse, as a sweetie! What a life! :D

Mr Flibble
05-18-2010, 02:02 AM
Valeria

Eomer's wife

Jack Sparrow's shagpiece

what?

Devant
05-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Lestat. Charming, knowledged, almost immortal, wicked, domineering. Has a cool name for added bonus.

RemusShepherd
05-18-2010, 06:42 PM
The older I get, the more I turn into Lazarus Long. I'm already a Heinlein character; might as well emulate the best.

BenPanced
05-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Michale Tolliver from Tales of the City. I first discovered the series when I was starting to come out, and the character is still one of the more realistic.

Priene
05-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Howard the Duck.

bettielee
05-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Arwen

or Lessa from the Dragon Weyrs... :)

Miss Plum
05-19-2010, 12:47 AM
Catherine Earnshaw. She lives a whale of a life, dies at nineteen, and attains immortality with Heathcliff at her side.

Elizabeth Bennett. Smart, self-possessed, and, ultimately, Mrs. Darcy.

A.R. Starr
05-19-2010, 03:00 AM
Talia from Mercedes Lackey's Arrows of the Queen.

Margarita Skies
05-19-2010, 03:48 AM
The Queen of the Damned. :D

The Kidd
05-19-2010, 03:50 AM
When I was a kid I wanted to be Bilbo Baggins. No joke.

PurpleHat
05-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Aragorn. Or possibly Gandalf.

Strange for a girl.

LordMoogi
05-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Any of the characters described in this article (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagnificentBastard). Particularly Lord Vetinari, since he is probably my favourite fictional character ever.

Zefiris
05-21-2010, 11:05 PM
When I was a little kid I always wanted to be Julian from the Famous Five.

Now I'm older whenever I re-read one of the Famous Five books I realise what a self-righteous boyscout pillock Julian actually was :D:D:D

Funny how tastes in characters change over time.

I also remember I wanted to be Saucepan Man from the Magic Faraway tree, I actually got told offfor pretending to be him when I was 5 by wearing a pan on my head thus breaking the handle when it fell off. Good times :)

autumnleaf
05-22-2010, 08:30 PM
I wanted to be Wonder Woman. I think I wanted her weapons, esp the truth lasso. Imagine being able to get the truth from people, just by catching them in your lasso!

scarletpeaches
05-22-2010, 08:34 PM
I love Batman, and I want to live in Gotham!Girlfriend needs an intervention.

kaitie
05-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Does it have to be a book? I'd be one of The Doctor's companions in a heartbeat. :D

I might have just exposed myself as a true nerd.

Anyway, otherwise numerous, numerous others. I spent most of my childhood putting myself into the books I was reading and pretending I was the characters. Still do to an extent. ;)

KTC
05-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Zachary Martin Glass!

smcc360
05-23-2010, 04:55 AM
Sherlock Holmes. Failing that, Indiana Jones. Or the best of both-- Jack Reacher.

NoGuessing
05-23-2010, 06:21 AM
The Doctor. Specifically David Tennant, because then I could look at myself naked.

al'Lan Mandragoran. Fantasy's answer to Chuck Norris.

aadams73
05-23-2010, 06:41 AM
I've always been happy being me, so wanting to step into a character's shoes has never really crossed my mind. I've wanted to explore places certain characters go or do things they do, but as myself.

Usually at some point things get so bad for them I think, Ooooh, better them than me!

Witch_turtle
05-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Yvaine from Stardust. I adored the idea of a star being a woman, and ever since then I have wanted to be a star. How mystical it would be!

Ton Lew Lepsnaci
05-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Any Howard Roarks? Poirots or V.I. Warshawskis? Counts of Monte Cristo, Grace O'Malleys? No one for Wonka or Dolittle? Elizabeth Bennet, Alice, Bella Swan? Ender? Marvin? D'Artagnan? Ed Rickett? Don't be coy, I know you're out there...

Phaeal
05-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Zachary Martin Glass!

What took you so long? I've been holding off claiming Z since last week.

Phaeal
05-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Any Howard Roarks? Poirots or V.I. Warshawskis? Counts of Monte Cristo, Grace O'Malleys? No one for Wonka or Dolittle? Elizabeth Bennet, Alice, Bella Swan? Ender? Marvin? D'Artagnan? Ed Rickett? Don't be coy, I know you're out there...

Elizabeth Bennet and Dagny Taggart are already tied for the lead with two votes each. Unless you lump all the Doctorites together.

KTC
05-24-2010, 05:50 PM
What took you so long? I've been holding off claiming Z since last week.

HAHA! I just saw the thread. Missed it. When I found it, though, I saw that you posted already...I actually thought you must have let me have it this time. (-:

kaitie
05-24-2010, 05:50 PM
I wouldn't mind being lumped with The Doctor. :D

You know...that's just amused me tenfold seeing it paired with my avatar lol.

Cella
05-24-2010, 06:01 PM
anyone remember Gadget from The Rescue Rangers? (cartoon, not a character from a book)
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz320/cellasboots/gadget-2.jpg

yeah, I wanted to be just like her. I'd even wear goggles when I went places. And then the kids made fun of me, and I told my dad, and he just looked at me like he could understand why. :roll:

I haven't worn goggles since :D

milly
05-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Dagny Taggart is right up there on my list for sure :)

milly
05-24-2010, 06:04 PM
it would have been cool to be Smurfette too...all those smurfs to myself and really cool clunky heels :)

http://skee4all.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/smurfette.jpg

Ton Lew Lepsnaci
05-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Elizabeth Bennet and Dagny Taggart are already tied for the lead with two votes each. Unless you lump all the Doctorites together.

Oops, missed Bennet indeed. But Roarke is not exactly Taggart right?

Ensign Pistol
05-25-2010, 02:19 AM
Lyra from the Golden Compass/Northern Lights. Or anyone from that book. My dog's great, but I want a daemon.

milly
05-25-2010, 07:24 AM
Ms. Brisby from the Secret of Nimh...she gets to lift their house with that cool stone around her neck...YES

(though her name was actually spelled Frisby in the book but...I like Brisby better so, that's the version of her I'd like to be) :)

Phaeal
05-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Oops, missed Bennet indeed. But Roarke is not exactly Taggart right?

No, Howard is far from Dagny. He is born making the right choices, and his trial is to persevere in them whatever the obstacles. Dagny, on the other hand, has to learn how to make the right choices, which makes her the more dynamic character and a workable center of the book, along with Hank Reardon. Note how The Fountainhead also centers on three characters with real choices to make: Dominique Francon, Gail Wynand and Peter Keating. At the polar ends are the unchangeables, Howard Roarke and Ellsworth Toohey.

I find it more fun to be "changeable." I'd rather be Gail Wynand than Howard Roarke, except I wouldn't screw up in the end. Of course that would nix one of the greatest tragedies in modern literature. Oops! ;)

It could be an interesting personality gauge, whether a person would prefer to be an unchangeable/perfect/"divine" or "heroic" character or a changeable/flawed/"human" character. Say, Roarke vs. Wynand; Elrond or Arwen or Gandalf vs. Frodo or Sam or Faramir.

starryeyedkt
05-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Dr. Watson.
While it would be cool to be Sherlock, I think it would be cooler to be Watson, because you'd just spend all day chasing after Holmes and reminding him not to take too much snuff, etc etc. And what an awesome best friend to have!

gracemichael
05-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Scarlett O'Hara ... although I'd choose Rhett over Ashley!!!

SirOtter
05-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Or the best of both-- Jack Reacher.

Yes!

C.bronco
05-27-2010, 07:22 PM
I would like to be Teddy Roosevelt. :)

SirOtter
05-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Scarlett O'Hara ... although I'd choose Rhett over Ashley!!!

I've never understood what either of them saw in her. But then, I'm no great fan of either the book or the film.

SirOtter
05-27-2010, 07:23 PM
I would like to be Teddy Roosevelt. :)

Stay out of South America, then.

Ton Lew Lepsnaci
05-30-2010, 02:38 PM
I find it more fun to be "changeable." I'd rather be Gail Wynand than Howard Roarke, except I wouldn't screw up in the end. Of course that would nix one of the greatest tragedies in modern literature. Oops! ;)

It could be an interesting personality gauge, whether a person would prefer to be an unchangeable/perfect/"divine" or "heroic" character or a changeable/flawed/"human" character. Say, Roarke vs. Wynand; Elrond or Arwen or Gandalf vs. Frodo or Sam or Faramir.

It would be interesting to find out whether people would opt to become their polar opposite characters to have a look over the fence or would stick to their nature. :)

ebennet68
05-30-2010, 03:43 PM
The first one who came to mind was Elizabeth Bennet. (My handle!) I also wouldn't mind Arwen or Luthien from Tolkien, although Luthien had a bit of a sad story.