PDA

View Full Version : Are you a genre slut?

ArcticFox
05-16-2010, 05:45 AM
I had a friend comment recently they "only read sci-fi" to which I cringed and tried to dissuade them from such a mistake.

I diddle in drama. I rendezvous with romance. I liasion with literary. I muck about with mystery. I find science-fiction scintillating....and so on. I admit it...I am a genre slut. I love everything. I can't choose. I also write in many different genres. So if you are a genre slut too then step up!

C.M. Daniels
05-16-2010, 05:57 AM
I'm all over the board. My favorites are sci-fi and police procedurals, but I'll read anything you put in front of me.

I do know people who only do one and I feel bad for them. Who could stand to be so deprived?

ArcticFox
05-16-2010, 06:06 AM
Tell it, brother!

thothguard51
05-16-2010, 06:16 AM
Readers habits change. At times, I get stuck in one genre or another, devouring everything I can find in that genre until I burn out and move onto the next genre, repeating the process all over again, and again, and again.

Still, I keep coming back to fantasy and sci-fi. I think of all the genres there are, SF&F allows me to escape my earthly realities easier than other genres. Don't get me wrong, I love a good read that challenges me and makes me think about things I don't normally pay attention to one way or the other. But sometimes, I just want a good read that allows me to escape to another world, time, or culture that is exciting and far different from my everyday realities that I marvel at the work before me...

But, that's just me.

benbradley
05-16-2010, 06:23 AM
I read SF, and tend to stay away from sci-fi.

Margarita Skies
05-16-2010, 06:53 AM
:ROFL: I love the title of this thread!!

SPMiller
05-16-2010, 07:15 AM
No. I'm just a slut.

Kaiser-Kun
05-16-2010, 07:20 AM
My WiP currently includes wizards, lasers, trains, swords, a tower, a monastery, sleeping gods, aliens, summoned shadow minions, biomagical virus warfare, magic, mechanic military suits, fireballs, and an alien invasion. And some romance if my characters feel like it.

I'M A GENRE WHOREHOUSE.

And I look forward to seeing the fan-flame wars in the internet over which genre it belongs to. I'll start on the popcorn now. OM NOM NOM

aadams73
05-16-2010, 07:24 AM
Genre's the one area of my life where I have absolutely no loyalty. If the story sounds interesting, that book is coming home with me. :)

As a result, I've found great stories in some of the unlikeliest (to me) places. Plus it's just plain good sense for a writer to read all over the place.

I'm much more exclusive with my writing, though.

slcboston
05-16-2010, 07:35 AM
No. I'm just a slut.

aw, dammit. you beat me to the punchline. :D

I confess I'm rather easy myself. With regards to books, people, *books*. I'll read just about anything.

This was *so* less interesting than I'd rather hoped it was going to be.

slcboston
05-16-2010, 07:36 AM
My WiP currently includes wizards, lasers, trains, swords, a tower, a monastery, sleeping gods, aliens, summoned shadow minions, biomagical virus warfare, magic, mechanic military suits, fireballs, and an alien invasion. And some romance if my characters feel like it.

what, no robots?

:D

Kaiser-Kun
05-16-2010, 07:43 AM
what, no robots?

What do I look like, George Lucas? >=O

slcboston
05-16-2010, 07:47 AM
What do I look like, George Lucas? >=O

well, if I squint *just* so and picture you about 100 lbs heavier and with a lot more hair .....

you really want me to answer that?

dgiharris
05-16-2010, 08:04 AM
I love my SF/F but every so often I will cheat with a mystery, comedy, suspense, or thriller.

But after the affair, I make sure to shower thoroughly so when I get home, the SF/F doesn't suspect a thing.

And I feel guilty afterwards and vow i'll never stray again...

until another hottie book tempts me with a tintillating cover, a sexy backside blurb, and a promise of some great read...

so many books, so little time, whats a man to do.

Mel...

jennontheisland
05-16-2010, 08:27 AM
I'll read anything with sex in it.

bettielee
05-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Slutty Slut Slutterson.

That should be my name.

:)

Kaiser-Kun
05-16-2010, 08:54 AM
That should be my name.

Proper baby names for your baby. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)

seun
05-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Fantasy and horror is my thing but I'll read other genres if the story/characters sound interesting. That's not to say I'll read anything, though. Chick-lit and bloke-lit has spawned from the turds of the last leper in Hell.

poetinahat
05-16-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't understand genre monogamy - why is a literary work distinguished by its props?

I know that's waaaaay oversimplifying, but as many have already said in the same way, I like a good story. If it's a crime novel, I don't care whether the murder weapon is a dagger, a musket, a snubnose .38, a halberd, a virus, or a fricken light saber. I can't imagine thinking, "oh, great writing, but it isn't set in Edwardian England; I'm not interested".

brainstorm77
05-16-2010, 03:49 PM
I read most everything, including lit. I don't read sci fi or fantasy.

thethinker42
05-16-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm an unabashed genre slut of the filthiest kind. Basically, I'll write just about any genre...and put a lot of sex in it. :D

ETA: It's 5 am and I've been flying for the past few hours, so I had it in my head that you were just asking about what we write, not what we read. That said...I'll read just about anything, too. :D Oddly enough, I don't particularly like most romance, even though that's the genre I write. But I'll read damn near anything.

scarletpeaches
05-16-2010, 04:06 PM
I'll read anything with sex in it.Then you're my and Lori's kinda gal! :D

Mr Flibble
05-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Complete slut.

If the story sounds interesting, that book is coming home with me. That's me too.

As for writing - I get ideas for all sorts. While I write mostly fantasy I have this idea sitting around for a contemporary literary thing that I will write one day. It has absolutely no wizards in it. *ponders* I could maybe squeeze one in by the end.

scarletpeaches
05-16-2010, 04:28 PM
IRU don't go anywhere I need to PM you about supersekrit stuff!

Libbie
05-16-2010, 06:22 PM
I will read almost anything. I'm really selective about authors, but once I find one I like, I'll read anything they write. I don't care what they write. If they're good at writing, I want to read it. I've found amazing authors in fantasy, sci-fi, romance, literary fiction, historical, contemporary, western, horror, poetry, nonfiction, stage and screenwriting...you name it. I haven't yet found a mystery or thriller writer that appeals to me enough to get me interested in reading about people being killed. I find murder or other crimes as entertainment to be morally repulsive and as such I have a hard time getting into these books. But the right author could make me a total mystery hound.

All kinds of authors have something to teach us. It doesn't matter what they write.

Carolanne Patton
05-16-2010, 07:16 PM
I'll read just about anything, but I only write Horror or SF. Strangely, what I read the most lately is Thrillers, I especially like Patricia Cornwell, but I don't think I could write one.

Jamesaritchie
05-16-2010, 07:24 PM
I read every genre.

dgrintalis
05-16-2010, 07:33 PM
I read everything from literary to non-fiction. If a book sounds interesting, I'll read it.

CaroGirl
05-16-2010, 07:54 PM
I prefer the term promiscuous.

I like anything that's good, regardless of genre (and I realise one person's good is another's crap, and vice versa). I don't like anything predictable or formula, though.

Paper & Pencil
05-16-2010, 07:58 PM
My habit has always been Fantasy, as of late paranormal fantasy after that collection I read, but I'm looking into SF and might have taken an interest in mysteries. Most of what I write stays fantasy but I was trying to write a SF.

Kitty27
05-16-2010, 08:05 PM
I don't read or write literary or westerns.

Horror is my effing baby,followed by YA,urban/high fantasy,manga,graphic novels,sci-fi,paranormal romance,romance and my newest amore,historical novels.

I write and read all those genres.

Paul
05-16-2010, 08:10 PM
I prefer the term 'free spirited'.

ArcticFox
05-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Wow! So many slutty readers on this site..I like it.

Shadow_Ferret
05-16-2010, 08:21 PM

I love Sci-Fi and don't bother with SF. :tongue

And no, I'm not a slut. There are only a few genres that interest me.

And really, it is none of my business if my friends are single genre readers. That's their choice.

Paul
05-16-2010, 08:24 PM
I love Sci-Fi and don't bother with SF. :tongue

Me confused, what's SF, if not sci-fi?

slcboston
05-16-2010, 10:04 PM
If it's a crime novel, I don't care whether the murder weapon is a dagger, a musket, a snubnose .38, a halberd, a virus, or a fricken light saber.

What, no robots?

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. How often do i get a chance to use the exact same wise-ass remark in the same thread?

kaitiepaige17
05-16-2010, 10:08 PM
I just read what sounds good, but I only write YA.

Jamesaritchie
05-16-2010, 10:13 PM

SF is SCIENCE fiction, sci-fi is science FICTION.

SF is Arthur C. Clarke. Sci-fi is a crappy, made for TV movie.

Amadan
05-16-2010, 10:19 PM

Or...

Sci-fi is the older term that's been around for years, SF is the "rebranding" that newer fans have tried to give it to make it sound less geeky.

(Sorry, I don't really care which term gets used, but I knew a fellow fan once who would get all pompous and indignant and look down his long, less-geeky-than-thou nose at anyone who referred to "sci-fi" and proclaim, with great umbrage and solemnity: "I don't read sci-fi, I read SF!" And ever since then, I've preferred calling it sci-fi.)

Shadow_Ferret
05-16-2010, 11:02 PM

Sci-Fi is a term coined by Forest J. Ackerman. It doesn't mean crappy, made-for-TV movie. It means Science Fiction and I've used it all my life.

DeleyanLee
05-16-2010, 11:21 PM
I don't read every genre. I'm not interested in reading all of them since many of them tell the kinds of stories that I know I don't like. If that means I only read a very limited number, I don't consider that being "deprived" at all. It means that I get what I like. If you like more than I do, more power to you, but don't feel sorry for me. I'm completely happy. If I weren't, I'd be wandering in other areas of the bookstore because I want/need to.

Happiness is individually defined.

bri_ness
05-16-2010, 11:34 PM
I don't read every genre. I'm not interested in reading all of them since many of them tell the kinds of stories that I know I don't like. If that means I only read a very limited number, I don't consider that being "deprived" at all. It means that I get what I like. If you like more than I do, more power to you, but don't feel sorry for me. I'm completely happy. If I weren't, I'd be wandering in other areas of the bookstore because I want/need to.

Happiness is individually defined.

Word.

I'm not a genre slut. If I see a book that interests me that's not in a genre I typically read, then sure, I'll pick it up, but I don't seek out books of other genres.

Mr Flibble
05-16-2010, 11:50 PM

Or...

Sci-fi is the older term that's been around for years, SF is the "rebranding" that newer fans have tried to give it to make it sound less geeky.

Or SF is speculative fiction, which includes but is not limited to science fiction.

Amadan
05-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Or SF is speculative fiction, which includes but is not limited to science fiction.

I dunno, that sounds like just another rebranding to me, an attempt to use a more "literary" term for science fiction. What's an example of "speculative fiction" that doesn't fall into the category of sci-fi/fantasy?

Shadow_Ferret
05-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Speculative Fiction contains both Sci-Fi and Fantasy. But yeah, sounds like rebranding for those too embarrassed, or too snobbish, to use either of the other terms.

Mr Flibble
05-17-2010, 12:31 AM
I dunno, that sounds like just another rebranding to me, an attempt to use a more "literary" term for science fiction. What's an example of "speculative fiction" that doesn't fall into the category of sci-fi/fantasy?

Horror? Alternate history? Things that are both science fiction AND fantasy or other genre-mashers?

It's an umbrella term for sure, but it distinguishes between fiction about things that could/have happen(ed) and fiction about the real world.

As for the rebranding, it's not a new term by any means (though it has been used by those who don't want to say they write science fiction...)

Amadan
05-17-2010, 12:48 AM
Horror? Alternate history? Things that are both science fiction AND fantasy or other genre-mashers?

Horror is sci-fi/fantasy, unless there's no supernatural/paranormal element at all (like "Silence of the Lambs" or "Psycho"), which I don't think falls into the "speculative fiction" category either. Alternate history? Definitely science fiction. Mixing fantasy and sci-fi and other genres doesn't take it out of the fantasy/sci-fi category.

If people are more willing to read/write sci-fi if it's called "speculative fiction," then I guess that's okay, but I'm gonna stick to calling it what it is, even if some folks think being associated with aliens and spaceships is embarrassing. ;)

slcboston
05-17-2010, 12:53 AM
think being associated with aliens and spaceships is embarrassing. ;)

but.... but.... why?

Aliens are some of my best friends. I even have landing lights in my backyard.

slcboston
05-17-2010, 12:55 AM
And most horror, as a genre, would not fall into sci-fi unless you are using the term so broadly as to have no meaning at all.

Also, it's now called the Sy-fy network, and *that's* the home of those crappy, made for tv movies of the week.

I'm still recovering from that last one I watched.

*shudders*

bettielee
05-17-2010, 12:56 AM
oh hell, I don't care. I understand how the warp core works and once owned the manual to the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-C and every action figure of Princess Leia.

It's a given I'm gonna die alone.

Holla.

Mr Flibble
05-17-2010, 01:05 AM
Alternate history? Definitely science fiction.

Really? How does that work? I mean sure some could be, but I can think of several that have no science fiction elements, they are just 'what ifs'. It's as much - or more - historical fiction.

And most horror, as a genre, would not fall into sci-fi unless you are using the term so broadly as to have no meaning at all. Absolutely.

It's a given I'm gonna die alone. Not alone. I named my daughter after a Star Trek franchise character.

slcboston
05-17-2010, 01:07 AM
And I have the Next Generation technical manual....

which i can't believe I just admitted out loud.

:e2paperba

tinapickles
05-17-2010, 01:30 AM
I would say I'm an equal opportunity lover when it comes to reading :) Though I do align myself in a monogamous manner every once in awhile with one genre or another. Of late, it seems to be "high" sci-fi (or SF--whatever).

However, writing wise I've only written non-fiction to this point BUT am attempting a "speculative fiction" story. So we'll see.

Soccer Mom
05-17-2010, 01:42 AM

My 12 yo just spent a solid week reviewing the latest Star Wars games so he would know which one he wanted for his birthday. My 9yo is like a Dr. Who bible. He's seen every episode multiple times, including many from the 70's. There is a future in geekdom. I have seen it.

I'm a total genre slut. Sure I have my favorites, spec fiction, mystery, romance, but I'll read anything that captures my admittedly tiny attention span.

Hey, I like both chocolate and vanilla too. Ice cream is gooooooood.

Polenth
05-17-2010, 02:13 AM

I'm the same. It's not like I go out of my way to avoid certain genres based on some strange prejudice. I'd read a book in any genre if it interested me. But the reality is some genres are based around things that don't interest me. To date, I've yet to find a category romance, erotica or chick lit book that I've found interesting.

It doesn't mean those genres are bad or that I'm deprived. It just means I have different interests.

Speculative Fiction contains both Sci-Fi and Fantasy. But yeah, sounds like rebranding for those too embarrassed, or too snobbish, to use either of the other terms.

I call myself a speculative writer because it's shorter than saying I write fantasy, science fiction, horror, things that fit inbetween and things where I'm not sure where they go but they're not real life.

It's the minority who use it to try and distance themselves from science fiction. I've seen more people use literary or magical realism for that sort of distancing.

slcboston
05-17-2010, 02:39 AM
*hums Dr Who theme*

Shadow_Ferret
05-17-2010, 04:33 AM
I call myself a speculative writer because it's shorter than saying I write fantasy, science fiction, horror, things that fit inbetween and things where I'm not sure where they go but they're not real life.

It might be shorter to initially say, "I write Speculative fiction" than to say sci-fi/fantasy/horror, but you end up spending more time explaining things after they go, "What's that?" :D

slcboston
05-17-2010, 04:53 AM
It might be shorter to initially say, "I write Speculative fiction" than to say sci-fi/fantasy/horror, but you end up spending more time explaining things after they go, "What's that?" :D

Depends on who you're talking to. I usually talk to people smart enough to know the difference.

benbradley
05-17-2010, 05:56 AM
How long as the phrase "Speculative Fiction" been around? I only recall hearing it within the last 10-20 years.

Robert Heinlein wrote about SF-vs-Sci-Fi in his book "Expanded Universe," a collection of essays, reminiscences and short stories. It's interesting to see his reaction to what happened to his screenplay of "Destination Moon." It wasn't good. He surely spun in his grave that there was a movie made of "Starship Troopers." I wonder if Virginia sold out on him. But I digress...

And yes, Sci-Fi is from the 1950's (well after the birth of Science Fiction), coined as a variation of Hi-Fi which is short for High Fidelity and refers to sound and (the then-new) stereo systems.

Mr Flibble
05-17-2010, 06:07 AM
How long as the phrase "Speculative Fiction" been around? I only recall hearing it within the last 10-20 years.

Heinlen used it in 1947 (though just for science fiction)

although:
there are earlier citations: a piece in Lippincott's Monthly Magazine in 1889, used the term in reference to Edward Bellamy's Looking Backward: 2000–1887 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looking_Backward) and other works; and one in the May 1900 issue of The Bookman said that John Uri Lloyd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Uri_Lloyd)'s Etidorhpa, The End of the Earth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etidorhpa) had "created a great deal of discussion among people interested in speculative fiction."

as a term it has evolved to encompass anything, well, speculative about reality

Note that Strange Horizons calls itself a Speculative Fiction magazine

poetinahat
05-17-2010, 06:39 AM
Depends on who you're talking to. I usually talk to people smart enough to know the difference.

What... robots? :roll:

slcboston
05-17-2010, 06:45 AM
:ROFL:

Some of my best friends are robots....

which is a quote I've just corrupted or borrowed from somewhere, but danged if I can remember where just now...

:idea:

MJ Goodnow
05-17-2010, 10:11 AM
I don't understand genre monogamy - why is a literary work distinguished by its props?

I know that's waaaaay oversimplifying, but as many have already said in the same way, I like a good story. If it's a crime novel, I don't care whether the murder weapon is a dagger, a musket, a snubnose .38, a halberd, a virus, or a fricken light saber. I can't imagine thinking, "oh, great writing, but it isn't set in Edwardian England; I'm not interested".

Simply agreed.

AceTachyon
05-17-2010, 10:05 PM
I read primarily SF and Fantasy but have been known to dip into mystery (Parker, Evanovich, Block, Lansdale's Hap and Leonard novels) and men's adventure (Mack Bolan/Excecutioner novels written by certain "authors"). And sometimes, commercial fic (Brown, Rollins, Preston/Child, others.)

Rhoda Nightingale
05-17-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm working on branching out and reading different genres, particularly literary. I read WAY more vampire books than can possibly be good for me.

Noah Body
05-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Slutty Slut Slutterson.

That should be my name.

:)

Wonderful, free later? :D

bettielee
05-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Wonderful, free later? :D

Don't you know it. **wink wink** You bring the sci-fi, I'll bring the SF. :)

benbradley
05-18-2010, 07:49 AM
I'm waiting for the next "Einstein's Bridge."

Hmm, at this rate I'll have to write it myself...

Noah Body
05-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Don't you know it. **wink wink** You bring the sci-fi, I'll bring the SF. :)

Yay!

ArcticFox
05-19-2010, 08:13 PM
hahaha you guys are awesome

Shadow_Ferret
05-19-2010, 08:20 PM

Hmm. I just hang around here.

BardSkye
05-20-2010, 07:58 AM
I'm not a genre slut, I'm a harmony whore.

I read primarily fantasy and science fiction but the only genre I can think of that I don't have at least a few examples of, is erotica.

LordMoogi
05-20-2010, 10:50 PM

Bah. Semantics. I refer to the entire genre as 'Sci-Fi', because the term sounds better than 'SF'. I don't care how 'hard' or 'soft' it is- I'm calling it sci-fi anyway. If I do use 'SF', I use it interchangeably with 'sci-fi'. Life's too short for semantic distinctions.

Back on topic, yes, I am a HUGE genre man-whore (despite my avatar, I have a Y chromosome). I'll read anything, as long as it's good- though I tend to avoid depressing stuff about drugs and inner-city ghettos (I have my reasons), and I have an intense dislike of magic realism (Not with the genre so much as the name. Dude, if you're writing fantasy, just call it that. Calling it something else does not automatically grant you artistic superiority.). Still, there are certainly good examples of those kinds of fiction, though I have yet to find any memorable examples. But I, as I said, will read anything. Give me your fantasy, your sci-fi, your mysteries, your horror, your so-called 'literary fiction'- I'll devour it, as long as you can either entertain me or teach me something new about life.

As far as writing goes, though, I'm more or less a sci-fi/fantasy writer. That's just where my imagination goes. I mean, if I'm given the choice to either tell a story about a mentally ill child's experiences in school or a story about a mentally ill child's experiences in a school run by an alien demon zombie mad scientist vampire time traveler wizard, I'm going to do the latter.

BardSkye
05-21-2010, 08:20 AM
A story about a mentally ill child's experiences in a school run by an alien demon zombie mad scientist vampire time traveler wizard.

When will it be available to read? Can I be a beta?

LordMoogi
05-21-2010, 10:55 PM

Dude, I bought Star Wars: The Essential Atlas, and refer back to it whenever I'm reading a Star Wars book so I can plot the route the characters are taking in the story. I think that makes us equally nerdy.

When will it be available to read? Can I be a beta?

To be honest, that was just an idea I came up with on the fly to use as an example, but now that someone's expressed an interest, I may have to write a short story based on the idea. Not until August, I'm afraid, though- I'm leaving for a summer job in a few days, and I will have limited computer use up in the mountains.

But if I remember the idea when I get back, I'll send you a copy.

SammyW
05-22-2010, 02:04 AM
And what, pray tell, is so wrong with reading different genres :Huh:

As long as it has a good story/it catches me interest, I'll read it no matter what genre it is. Heck, elements like comedy, drama, and action can pop up in a story of any kind so there's not much difference sometimes.