Help with TV script: atheists in fiction?

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys! (If this is the wrong place for this thread, please feel free to move it, mods.)

I am working on a new public access TV show with some of my friends. It's called Ask An Atheist, and the purpose is to provide community outreach and foster understanding of non-believers. It's going to be a live call-in show, much like The Atheist Experience, if any of you are familiar with that program.

For our first episode, we are going to discuss how the media portrays atheism as a philosophy and atheists as individuals. We are having a hard time finding a lot of examples (there really aren't a lot of "out" atheists in fiction, which says a lot right there!) and we need help coming up with more examples.

I am looking for any and all examples of atheists as characters. TV, movies, books, comics, etc. are all fair game, as long as they're fictional portrayals of atheists. In order to qualify for discussion on our show, the character has to have actually personally avowed nonbelief of some kind -- just not going to church, for example, wouldn't count. The character must self-identify as an atheist, agnostic, "non-believer", or must have made statements that are clearly indicative of a lack of religious beliefs, such as "I don't believe in an afterlife" or "this life is all there is" or "there's nobody watching us."

The character may be viewed as a positive or a negative character -- we're not looking only for examples of "good" atheist characters.

We've already got a pretty short list, including Dr. House, Brian from Family Guy, Mr. Terrific, and Ellen from The Pillars of the Earth.

Please toss out any ideas you can! If you have handy some explanations of how you know these characters are non-believers, that would be helpful in my research.

Thanks!

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Captain Malcolm Reynolds of Firefly/Serenity. I don't remember which episode this is, but there's a point early on where he tells Book, "You're welcome on my boat. God ain't."

Also the narrator of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime is a militant atheist, and there's a great section going over his thought process that caused him to arrive at the mindset.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
William Adama and Lee Adama on Battlestar Galactica are atheists.

However the show itself kind of destroys that viewpoint. Also, by the final season both of them have changed somewhat.

ETA: I also just finished Neal Stephenson's Anathem (great book!). The monastic order in that is an atheist one, and the conflict between philosophy, science and religion is an important theme of the work overall.

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there's my MC, who says "The church of Live and Let Live," when asked which religion he espouses.

He's native American, and not at all happy with the effect Judeo-Christian belief systems have on indigenous peoples.

That reflects the view of many "indians", by the way.

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Allison Cameron from House is also an atheist.

Cameron: Do you know why people believe in God?
House: I thought you didn't believe in God.
Cameron: I don't.

She's a good contrast with House: she's an idealist and respects other people's beliefs even if she doesn't share them.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to kick this over to the Movies and Television forum for a few days to see if anyone over there can help you out. :)

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
House was the first television example that hit me. There's Mary Malone from Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy--an ex-nun turned scientist that calls Christianity a "convincing mistake."

The TVTropes list of Hollywood Atheists, as linked above, is always a great resource, though the focus is on grouchy, bitter examples. :p

Libbie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Please keep 'em coming.

Grouchy, bitter atheists are fine. The show will be exploring the various ways the media portrays atheists and how this shapes how religious people feel about atheists, so anything goes.

We've already plundered the Tv Tropes list, which really isn't particularly long, unfortunately. I know there must be more examples out there.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... if you need one from long ago by any chance there's Ivan Karamazov. Probably the most famous atheist in all of literature.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
In DC comics Mr. Terrific (the Micheal Holt version) is an atheist, as is Dr. Thirteen. It's interesting to see how their atheism is portrayed in a world where people have actually died and come back to talk about it.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Rose Hathaway, the protagonist of Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series, describes herself as agnostic.

edit: And the main characters of Terry Pratchett's NATION are atheist and ... I think the other one ends up as agnostic, respectively. Lots of fascinating religion stuff there.

Last edited:

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
In DC comics Mr. Terrific (the Micheal Holt version) is an atheist, as is Dr. Thirteen. It's interesting to see how their atheism is portrayed in a world where people have actually died and come back to talk about it.

TVTropes describes this as a Flat Earth Atheist, a character who doesn't believe in God in a world where gods walk around, magic is possible, etc. As are many wizards and witches on Terry Pratchett's Discworld (it is even stated that the gods use atheists as target pratice for their thunderbolts...)

Libbie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody! I appreciate the suggestions and the discussion.

(Yeah, I am also surprised that nobody has a good list of atheists in novels. Ellen in Pillars of the Earth, anybody?? Hello!)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Claire in Six Feet Under is a confirmed atheist, IIRC.

I believe Juliet in LOST called herself an agnostic.

I thought of someone else who declared herself as agnostic, but for the life of me I can't remember who or what show... tip of the tongue!

Last edited:

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
TVTropes describes this as a Flat Earth Atheist, a character who doesn't believe in God in a world where gods walk around, magic is possible, etc. As are many wizards and witches on Terry Pratchett's Discworld (it is even stated that the gods use atheists as target pratice for their thunderbolts...)

Also related is the Nay Theist who, in a world brimming with gods that actually answer prayers, have decided the gods are not worthy of worship for any number of reasons.

Which reminds me, I'm pretty sure that even in Dungeons & Dragons (the Forgotten Realms setting, not sure about others) there's some kind of resentment towards those that don't follow one of the gods in the pantheon, if the DM chooses to present that in their games. I'd have to dig it up and look.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
The witches in DW aren't quite the same. They know damn well the gods exist, they just refuse to Believe in them.In Pratchett's world, there's a difference between believing in something and Believing in it. :)