kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Define obsessive. :tongue

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I use MS Outlook. When I receive an e-mail, a little box pops up on my screen and tell me what it is, so I don't have to worry about checking while I'm at the computer. And when I'm away, I just don't care.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've only been on sub for a couple of days, yet I am into my email many times during the day and night:tongue

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score
You are not alone. I cringe when I see a little message flag, can't wait to open it, and am relieved and disappointed when it's just a friend. If it is a big R, I'm relieved and disappointed too. If it's a request, I send it off and wait, relieved and anticipating disappointment. And so the cycle begins, again.

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Dear god I'm so like this. Even when I'm not querying I obsessively check my email, get mad when nothing's there, then remember I haven't started querying yet. :tongue

Yes, I am a dork.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I was like it the night I submitted LOL ... Yeah, pretty pathetic LOL

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
There are two obsessions I used to have: 1) looking at my web page hits, and 2) checking my e-mail.

Over a week ago, a gatekeeper for an agency with my full said, "I love this and I'm going to pass it on for further reads. We'll be in touch next week." Published Author Friend said to me, "I hope they don't get back to you next week. If there's a message in your Inbox from them tomorrow morning, it's a rejection. The longer they take, the better your chances."

I realize it's something of a superstition that delay=depth of consideration; the agents could take a whole year and still cut me off. But PAF did get me to ease off the Inbox. Now it's once in the morning and I'm on my merry way.

As for the website hit analysis, as soon as I started checking my hits against IP blacklists and banning the bots, well . . . a lot of my hits disappeared! Russian, Romanian, and Bulgarian e-mail vampires were more interested in me than New York agents it turns out.

I spend a lot more time at AW now, enjoying the company of my fellow Hellions, whether contributing or simply reading. I'm still obsessed, mind you; I just don't have many places to go now for those missives of doom or salvation.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'm an obsessive email checker. You're not alone.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Not alone- definitely not alone- wait I have go check my email---

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
My first week or so I was like that, but now I'm really not. I check a couple/three times a day and I'm okay with that. But yeah, when I first sent off a few I checked a lot. Every once in awhile I forget to check for a day or two and then it's like "oh crap!" :tongue

Actually, I probably check my rep points here more often. That might be kinda sad haha.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Reading this thread made me want to check my email.

Unfortunately, nothing.

I haven't been as bad about it as I was when I first started querying (about a month ago). Then it was every five minutes.

Now it's every hour or so. :Headbang:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Hold on... Let me check my e-mail.
What was the question?

tirial

Registered
Reaction score
No, my F5 key isn't beginning to stick from refreshing webmail... oh, wait.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
If I'm online, Gmail is open. ;)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Twice a day on weekdays. Usually don't check it at all on the weekend. I'm thinking that puts me in the unobsessed category. ;)

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
I would have answered sooner, but I've been checking my e-mail.

I have mail rules set to funnel queries into a specific folder, so I don't have to do anything to check for replies other than flash my eyeballs at the folder. Which I do whenever I hear that e-mail chime. Which happens all day. So, um, yeah.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, while I know people who do this, I have more of a "fire and fall back" approach. Things go out, and I move on to other things until I get a reply - usually a rejection - back. Maybe if my ratio of acceptances to rejections was higher, I'd check more often, but I figure once or twice a day is really enough.

I have enough other things to obsess over anyway.

:chores

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
And this morning.... nothing :(

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
Published Author Friend said to me, "I hope they don't get back to you next week. If there's a message in your Inbox from them tomorrow morning, it's a rejection. The longer they take, the better your chances."

Not in my experience. I've never found length of time a submission spends with an agent to be any indication of anything at all. They can reject you in minutes, or they can reject you six months from now. No correlation whatever.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
And nothing this morning :(

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I probably would be, if I had the time. But lately my job and my personal life just keep me too busy to check more than once a day. So I guess that's a good thing. But they're also keeping me too busy to make much progress on the Next Great Novel I'm trying to write to take my mind off the slim chances of the one I'm querying, so...

6 of one, half dozen of the other. Pick your poison.

Status
Not open for further replies.