Super hero question

Status
Not open for further replies.

scmitchell

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a technical question for you guys. I did a search and didn't see this but I might have used the wrong terms so if this has been answered a dozen times I apologize.

I'm writing a story about a group of super powered people. One of my characters is a comic buff and is constantly using comic book references like "strong as the Hulk" or "If he's Mr. Fantastic I'm just the invisible girl."

Is it okay to do this in a novel, or a big no-no?

Kenny

Registered
Reaction score
It might be okay, but it's Trademark law you're dealing with rather than a Supers question.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Mentioning a trademarked name is fine, though it can 'date your work' as they say.

Depending on how often you do it, a publisher may want you to eliminate such references, or tone it down. It might also pay to create a fictional comic line like 'Startling Press' for instance. Write your story using all of your real-world references and then on your first rewrite, go back and replace 'Hulk' with 'Gigantor' or somesuch. People will pick up on it.

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
Other than what's been said above, you also have to consider this: if you've got superheroes, will the comics industry still exist in its current format in your 'verse? Will these superheroes that you're referencing have been created in the first place?

scmitchell

Registered
Reaction score
Other than what's been said above, you also have to consider this: if you've got superheroes, will the comics industry still exist in its current format in your 'verse? Will these superheroes that you're referencing have been created in the first place?

It's kind of a here and now universe, where everything is the same except the supers are kept in hiding by the government. I've been thinking along the lines of the government being behind the creation of the comics industry the way it is to prepare the world for what's coming.

scmitchell

Registered
Reaction score
Mentioning a trademarked name is fine, though it can 'date your work' as they say.

Depending on how often you do it, a publisher may want you to eliminate such references, or tone it down. It might also pay to create a fictional comic line like 'Startling Press' for instance. Write your story using all of your real-world references and then on your first rewrite, go back and replace 'Hulk' with 'Gigantor' or somesuch. People will pick up on it.

Oh, that's a good idea. I'll have to see if I can make that work on the next rewrite.

Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
It's kind of a here and now universe, where everything is the same except the supers are kept in hiding by the government. I've been thinking along the lines of the government being behind the creation of the comics industry the way it is to prepare the world for what's coming.

Jackie Kessler and Caitlin Kittredge did something similiar in their book BLACK & WHITE. It's an awesome superheroes book, and comics are basically used as propaganda to support the heroes.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Mine does it all the time, too. I'm not going to worry about any legal issues until I've got someone willing to publish it.

Thomas_Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think legality is a problem in this case. You can mention names all you like, as long as you don't sit there and essentially steal the characters. For example, you can say somebody is "as strong as the Hulk", but don't have them turn huge and green when they get angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.