Querying with weak credentials

SJBell

New kid, bring it on!
Registered
Reaction score
I've written a short novel and I'm looking to get it published. All the guides, examples, etc. I look up regarding query letters say you should give your credentials. Problem for me- I don't have many. I have a Bachelor's Degree in English, but that's pretty much it. Should I just say that, or will the fact that I have nothing else to boast about draw attention to my flaws?

Mishell

That Clarion chick!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mishellbaker.wordpress.com
I would leave it out and just write about the story (word count, genre, main character, plot blurb, etc.) and then thank the agent for his/her consideration.

Also, look for agents that request the first 5-50 pages of a manuscript along with the query - if your writing is good they won't care about your credentials.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
Just leave out the bio paragraph (I actually think a bachelor's in English could be a significant qualification...But someone who actually knows about including qualifications and what not will probably be able to tell you if that's the case).

I didn't have a bio paragraph, and I'm totally unqualified (high school student here). It didn't hurt me. If the writing and concept are good nothing else matters :)

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
If only authors with impressive credentials were signed for book deals, publishing would be a cottage industry.

Don't worry about your credentials. That's not what you're selling. You're selling your manuscript.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Good credits, which means sales to good magazines, do help. If you happen to be a police officer, and you're writing a police procedual, or if you're a doctor writing a medical thriller, or a physicist writing an SF novel, it helps to mention this, as well.

But most writers begin the writing life without any credits. Write a good query letter, follow it with a good novel, and the credentials won't matter.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Don't look for things to say that have no meaning. Don't say anything that's not true. If you agree with this basic advice, all you can-and I believe-should say is that this is your first book. The agent and/or editor will understand and know that if your work "sings" to them nothing else matters.