Why do I look so bad in photographs but not in the mirror/real life?

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
Went to a party today, appeared in around 20 photographs and in each one I look like a right tit.

I've got a ever so slightly crooked nose because I broke it a few years ago, on the photographs it looks like a freaking witches nose.

I'm always pulling some sort of face on photographs, my hair a bit out of place or just looking...weird.

Tis extremely frustrating.

I don't consider myself an especially good looking guy, I'm average looking but on photographs...ewwww.

I look a right pleb.

Anyone else suffer from the whole 'looking a hell of a lot worse in photos than you do in real life' thing?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I look that bad... but it's just for an instant ;) I make faces as I talk, and I laugh really big.

I used to model a bit. I should make those faces, but I don't. Meh :D

Your hair really looks like that, though! Sorry :D Everyone's does, pretty much.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a little girl I was making a nasty face in just about every picture my father took. I hated having my picture taken. They'd say smile and I'd stick out my tongue.

I still don't like it much.

linfred4

Registered
Reaction score
I totally know what you mean, I look great in person but when that camera is around forget it! Mind ya my hubby would disagree but I know my pictures are trouble.

FreeWhistler

Cookie monster
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else suffer from the whole 'looking a hell of a lot worse in photos than you do in real life' thing?

Yes. It's definitely true about me. In fact, I think that is true of most people. For example, one of my friend's sister is a NASCAR Miss Sprint Cup. I'm New England Yankee through and through so I couldn't care less about NASCAR, but as I understand it, being Miss Sprint Cup is like being an NFL cheerleader. Anyhow, I saw a professional picture of her and my reaction was, "Meh, she's okay." I might have given her a five or a six, which is just a cut about what I consider to be "average attractive." Well last weekend we were at the pub and my friend brings his sister. The girl who looked like a five in her photo was more like an eight in person and I hadn't had anything to drink yet.

http://brusimm.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Miss-Sprint-Cup-2010-Close-up.jpg

My friend's sister is the one on the right. Now that I'm looking at the photo again, I can't say I find any of them to be especially attractive. objectively there's nothing wrong with them, but there's nothing there that would make me think I'd like to ask them out. Were I to meet them in person, though, I imagine my opinion would change.

linfred4

Registered
Reaction score
Not for my hubby, he could be doing a mean face but the picture turned out great. I will find this one where he is acting like a kid and doing a weird face while sitting on Stanta's lap, we can all get a good laugh. But he still looks great, it sucks.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
We usually appear better in the mirror in real time because we're alone and witness only what we want to see. A photograph reveals how we look to the rest of the world when frozen in time, which brings on a more critical view of ourselves.

A similar let down is how we sound when we speak. I dislike the sound of my voice immensely, but only when it's heard on a recording. While speaking it sounds okay because I'm not hearing the tones the way others do.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Half the time, yes. The other half, I look better than I think I actually do. And it's pure chance either way.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
On another note, my boyfriend works in film. He says some people look great on camera, some don't. And it has nothing to do with how you look per say. It's just for some reason the camera loves certain people. He also says some people make for great photos but then look 'worse' in real life.

He said you'd be surprised at how weird people look off camera, the actors and so on you see on TV. The reason why a lot of folks are models or actors is that the camera 'loves' them. He also had a terrible time doing local commercials for the TV stations, and people wanted to put kids and friends on TV. Some people just weren't photogenic, but he kept his mouth shut. He didn't want to offend.

For example, my older sister, every time someone takes a photo of her, she has red eyes. Doesn't matter where she's looking or what not, red eyes. She knows and she laughs about it every time.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
A similar let down is how we sound when we speak. I dislike the sound of my voice immensely, but only when it's heard on a recording. While speaking it sounds okay because I'm not hearing the tones the way others do.

This is so true...I often have to hear my voice played back for my work and I cringe everytime...I sound much less "southern" in my head...hehe

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I still seem to picture myself as a woman in her early twenties, so every time I look in a mirror I wonder who the old chick is. As for pics, I'm usually the arm sticking out from over someone's shoulder or the blur that's diving under the table to escape the shutter, so it's not so bad.

ETA: Looking sharp, Neuro.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For some reason, it always looks like I have a hair helmet.

<=======

This is exactly what I did to my old school bus pass when I was about 15. Amazingly, nobody ever questioned it.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Paper bags help me look just the same in photographs as I do in real life.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if this guy looks the same in real life as he does in photos?

(The link is work-safe.)

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I ALWAYS look awful in photos, no question. I don't even have a wedding album I look that bad. But in real life, I think I'm okay.

Funny thing is, I have two sons; one looks STUNNING in photo's cutest kid on earth, but his brother, who is no less cute than he is, never looks good. He's just like me, the camera hates us.

I've always wanted to do one of those makeover portrait sessions, to see if it actually works. It'd be nice to have some good photo's of me...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that the camera, still or not, just loves certain people and hates others. I, too, have seen models who look... odd, but photograph well. The planes of their faces seem almost other-worldly.

I'm okay-looking at best, but in photographs I look like a troll who lives under a bridge. Every bad feature seems magnified many times, from the slope of my forehead to the underbite, plus forty extra pounds added to my existing excess, jowls sagging, hair flat, teeth yellow, eyes pink--a real stunner. (Cover your children's eyes.)

Our daughter is quite attractive in person, but the camera doesn't like her, either. She looks plump and moon-faced, which she isn't. Our son is okay-looking, but unless he's making a face, the camera loves him. And Mr. Maryn hates to be photographed, period. The camera adds ten years, maybe more, the poor dear.

Maryn, who liked to be the one holding the camera

PivotalSyntax

Luftmensch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eloquentabandon.wordpress.com
If you think about it, looking in the mirror is actually quite unnatural. You're just standing there motionless, not interacting or anything. How often do you look like that during the day? I think most people are a little more animated. They're talking, they're moving around, they're doing stuff. The camera actually captures our true selves; the one that goes about its day, and not the one that sits there in front of a mirror. Sure it might not look 'good', but it certainly is more real.

Just my really bad two cents.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
I've always wanted to do one of those makeover portrait sessions, to see if it actually works. It'd be nice to have some good photo's of me...

I always look mean and grumpy in snapshots, but I had a talented portrait photographer take some photos a few years ago.There were no makeovers or makeup, only careful lighting and pose. He did a great job of showing the real me...at least the one I feel like. I'm far from a prize winner, but in the photos he took, I didn't look like something that made children run and scream.

I don't like most of those makeover portraits. They look too contrived. My wife had one done several years ago, and they made a beautiful woman look more like a plastic Barbie than a real person.

Aleta

i'm mad at the dirt
Registered
Reaction score
Website
absolutelyaleta.wordpress.com
This is so true...I often have to hear my voice played back for my work and I cringe everytime...I sound much less "southern" in my head...hehe

boy can i relate. the sound of my voice just kills me. but what's even weirder is everyone tells me me and my sister sound exactly alike, but her voice doesn't bother me. so strange.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Good vs bad lighting is amazing for photographs. I hate my nose in so many photographs and had no clue whether it struck others that way. In professional photos it's not an issue. If the lighting throws certain shadows, I'm all brow ridge and big nose, even if I'm not laughing my horsey smile ;)

Fortunately, when you know somebody, you mentally erase things caused by shadows and stuff, so they really do look better than a pic would show.

The fun ones are where you see a stunning model laughing her real laugh, or you see why she's always shown smirking instead of smiling big. They learn how to do their faces to hide things for photos, and that would be bizarrely contrived in real life.