Speech Stands Alone?

Crensci

I'm a trooper :)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saydiemason.com
I have my work posted on authonomy.com (A writing website hosted by Harper Collins) and I received this comment from a fellow writer-

"A slight tweak I would suggest is to watch out for words and phrases at the end of sentences that are not really needed and reduce the strenghth of what is being said.
Speech stands alone, never tag on action by someone else at the end of a speech."

Is this set in stone or should I just take it as a suggestion?

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
It was a suggestion, and I think that you should take it with a grain of salt, but it is a good idea to avoid adding action by someone else to a piece of dialogue.

LynnKHollander

This space intentionally left blank
Registered
Reaction score
I find it good advice. I often tell authors I am reviewing that 'good dialogue doesn't need stage directions'. However, it is only a suggestion, and not a rule.

~~A more careful reading of your comment brings up a question. "I know about vampires and everything," he flinched ~~with the speaker not mentioned? Is this the sort of dialogue add-on you mean? If so, I would say yes, keep one character's actions out of another character's speech. As far as I'm concerned, the rule about one character's thoughts, actions and speech per paragraph covers this question.

If you will insist on having the listener's reactions right next to what the speaker says, try this construction: "I know about vampires and everything," I said, and watched him flinch. ~~at the very least, it may confuse your critics.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's not set in stone, but it is very good advice.