• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Where the hell did Jupiter's Stripe go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The vast majority of such discoveries in astronomy are made by amateurs, FWIW.

My suspicion is because the professionals are mostly funded by grants and/or have other restrictions on their time and energy, so they don't really have the opportunity to look at other stuff that could be happening.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Also the vast majority of people staring at the sky are amateurs, so they do tend to notice stuff. Other fields of study are... um... not so readily available.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The vast majority of such discoveries in astronomy are made by amateurs, FWIW.

My suspicion is because the professionals are mostly funded by grants and/or have other restrictions on their time and energy, so they don't really have the opportunity to look at other stuff that could be happening.

Professional astronomers are intricately tied to big expensive telescopes and long-term projects using them. Little of this telescope time is involved in planet-watching. Amateurs, many of whom are highly-educated and highly-skilled, fill in a lot of gaps, searching in particular for comets and in planet watching. If you read the whole story, it's clear that, A) Jupiter has just recently become visible again from Earth after passing in its orbit behind the sun, and B) that this event happens with some regularity, in something of a cycle. It isn't clearly understood what drives the changes, but Jupiter's atmosphere is highly dynamic, and changes in the cloud patterns aren't at all unusual.

caw

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
Wow, it does look strange.

Ferret,

Amateurs notice quite a few things like that. There are a lot of very dedicated and knowledgeable folks out there. This stuff is much more than a hobby to them.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
They needed the elements in the stripe for more monoliths, obviously.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jupiter looks much slimmer now.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com

President: We didn't see this thing coming?
Dan: Well, our object collison budget's a million dollars. That allows us to track about 3% of the sky, and beg'n your pardon sir, but it's a big-ass sky.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
That's the ONE part of Armeggedon that didn't make me want to stab Michal Bay in the face with a ruler made of the solidified stupid that I pulled out my bellybutton while I was watching the televisual abortion. GOD I HATE THAT MOVIE!

Anywho, as for the stripe? Well, it was taken by the Titanian moon men.

We must send our finest marines to take it back.

I'm sure Zap Dodger is on the case.

pdknz

Having way too much fun
Registered
Reaction score

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
the big spot strikes me as the wierdest feature. How can it be permanent, but still move around independently of the surface?

The big red spot is likely not permanent; it's been observed to be shrinking.

"The changing size and aspect ratio of the Great Red Spot from 1880 to 2000 are reviewed, indicating that the length of the system has decreased significantly over the last 100 years and continues to decrease at present at a rate of 0.19 degrees per year."

Status
Not open for further replies.